Fish QT order

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok posted about this before I know just trying to get all my ducks in a row so please bear with me. Had a 25gal I was going to QT everything in using the 2 months in copper and other meds as recommended on here. Just recently picked up a 55gal that was used for Freshwater (been sitting empty for 3 years in their house) seals and all are good cleaned it with citric acid and RODI water. letting it dry now. Now I am going to be using both tanks for QT starting a different cycle every month (as long as the fish permit it without having to start the QT over)
the first fish already ordered is pair of clownfish (mocha gladiator) Plan on putting them in the 25gal

what are you guys recommend order for next few waves.
lawnmower blennie, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, carpenters wrasse, longnose hawkfish
foxface LO, copperband butterfly
Starry goby, blue mandarin pair
reading conflicting info on which tangs to go with first or all together
Purple tang, yellow eye white tail Kole tang, yellow tang,

Also been reading more on the lyretail anthias from what I have read they seem to do better long term than the blue green chromis. thoughts on them and how many if any should I get. feeding multiple times a day is not going to be any issue it is actually better for my mind.

Oh sorry DT is a 220.6 Waterbox 72.3"×25.3"×23.6" DT tank is 170 gal sump 40 gal or right around there anyways.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yes by the time The Mandarin go in will be well seeded with pods. already planned for them. also plan on getting them the starry goby yellow tang and hopefully the purple tang all captive bred

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be wary to QT any wrasses with copper. Not an expert here by any means but they're known to be very sensitive to it, generally. When you settle on your fish coming in, do research to make sure the regimen you have planned for one won't negatively affect another

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok posted about this before I know just trying to get all my ducks in a row so please bear with me. Had a 25gal I was going to QT everything in using the 2 months in copper and other meds as recommended on here. Just recently picked up a 55gal that was used for Freshwater (been sitting empty for 3 years in their house) seals and all are good cleaned it with citric acid and RODI water. letting it dry now. Now I am going to be using both tanks for QT starting a different cycle every month (as long as the fish permit it without having to start the QT over)
the first fish already ordered is pair of clownfish (mocha gladiator) Plan on putting them in the 25gal

what are you guys recommend order for next few waves.
lawnmower blennie, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, carpenters wrasse, longnose hawkfish
foxface LO, copperband butterfly
Starry goby, blue mandarin pair
reading conflicting info on which tangs to go with first or all together
Purple tang, yellow eye white tail Kole tang, yellow tang,

Also been reading more on the lyretail anthias from what I have read they seem to do better long term than the blue green chromis. thoughts on them and how many if any should I get. feeding multiple times a day is not going to be any issue it is actually better for my mind.

Oh sorry DT is a 220.6 Waterbox 72.3"×25.3"×23.6" DT tank is 170 gal sump 40 gal or right around there anyways.
to be safe I would do purple tang last and most likely alone. You could get away with putting the white tail kole first and put the zebrasoma yellow tang after with it in the QT. purple tangs are acanthurus so they're some of the more aggressive tang genuses. However, this could change depending on personality and being captive bred, as you mentioned. your white tail kole is going to be the most docile out of those three.

not sure if you can QT a pistol shrimp.

Yellow watchman goby should definitely go first, along with the starry and CB butterfly. They're some of the more passive species on your list AFAIK.

Mandarins aren't responsive to many medications, and as a result aren't as susceptible to nightmare illnesses like ich. but keeping them in observation is always a good idea.

Longnose and foxface lo. could go together as they occupy different areas of the tank afaik and you should only watch longnoses around small decorative shrimp/sometimes fish.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be wary to QT any wrasses with copper. Not an expert here by any means but they're known to be very sensitive to it, generally. When you settle on your fish coming in, do research to make sure the regimen you have planned for one won't negatively affect another
copper QTs could work if dosed slowly and maintained at semi therapeutic levels (0.5ish), speaking from experience.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses (Fairy, Flasher & Leopards) ** Prolific tank jumper, so use a secure lid **

There's a reason they are sometimes referred to as "pain in my wrasse". :p These fish flat out don't like being in quarantine; especially a rockless, bare bottom environment. They are prone to flukes and internal parasites/intestinal worms. Wrasses are not a big fan of most medications (so take care never to overdose with them.)

QT strategy: Since these fish prefer to lay on sand sometimes (Leopards will burrow), it is advisable to have an area of sand in the QT for them. (Sand in a glass Pyrex bowl works.) You definitely want to deworm all wrasses using praziquantel. Fairy wrasses, Leopards, Halichoeres spp, Anampses spp, Labroides spp, Thalassoma spp, Pseudocheilinops spp tolerate Chloroquine well; Flashers, Coris spp & Pseudocheilinus spp DO NOT. When using copper, most wrasses seem to do better in chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power) than ionic (e.g. Cupramine). Regardless of brand, raise copper very slowly (4-5 days) when treating wrasses.

To deal with the internal problems (you'll see white stringy poo if internal parasites/worms are present), soak food with API General Cure or Fenbendazole for 10-14 days. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

Being a "pain in the wrasse" qualifies you for: Black Molly Quarantine ;)
going by humblefish difficult fish to QT

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've QT'd several flasher wrasses in copper power at 2.5ppm with no issues.

I've had terrible experiences QT'ing flasher wrasses in cupramine though.... I will never attempt that again, but flasher wrasses and copper power are no issue. I don't even ramp up. dose it to 2.5 straight away, the wrasses are fine.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planning on using copper power for most of the fish. seems to be what most handle the best. main thing im trying to figure out is the order to do everything.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any opinion on the lyretails for this tank?
your tank may be too small for the lyretail. they typically do well in groups, but even a single lyre tail would do well in a 70g. i didn’t see your tank size; i think you’d be limited to maybe one or two tangs in that tank to begin with. id recommend the white tail kole first; the others may or may not outgrow it.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was planning on a group just need to figure out how many would be good
since you’re planning on adding many other fish i would say 2-3 would be a good number. better less than more

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably want to add the flasher wrasse earlier in the process, rather than later.
I'd want to give it a chance to get established before adding most of the other fish.

They can get stressed out pretty easily. Dropping them into a tank full of fish that already have all their spots staked out can be stressful on them until they find a spot for themselves.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like whichever wrasse I decide to go with should be my next QT and maybe the watchman since next round will be in the 55

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back