Fish QT order

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not QT a mandarin in copper... I would use hybrid TTM or hypo + observation. I believe this is one of the actual copper sensitive fish. While they don't get sick easily because of a thick slime coat, they can easily be carriers (in the gills) and infect your other fish.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not QT a mandarin in copper... I would use hybrid TTM or hypo + observation. I believe this is one of the actual copper sensitive fish. While they don't get sick easily because of a thick slime coat, they can easily be carriers (in the gills) and infect your other fish.
from what I have read there is no issue with QT them in copperpower its the keeping them eating part. The ones im planning on getting are captive breed so should eat pellets and such if not already planned to do as you said. Thanks

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
from what I have read there is no issue with QT them in copperpower its the keeping them eating part. The ones im planning on getting are captive breed so should eat pellets and such if not already planned to do as you said. Thanks
Mandarins do not tolerate copper. If you want to avoid qt altogether, contact a local LFS and ask them to get you a pair of tank bred/raised Mandarins from ORA.

The main thing with wrasses is knowing the difference between ionic and chelated copper. There are 2 types: ionic and chelated copper. each one becomes therapeutic at significantly different levels. Chelated at 2.5, ionic is much lower .4-.5. The thing with wrasses is they tolerate chelated, but most likely won't survive treatment through ionic. I've done fairy, rhomboid, and cleaner wrasses through copper power (chelated) just fine.

You're going to want to qt the pistol shrimp separately, it shouldn't need medication. Just leave it alone in a fishless tank as if it was getting the fallow treatment.

As far as the order itself, you fish are relatively non-aggressive. You can do them in any particular order, though starting with clowns is a good start since they're generally hardier.nothing generally conflicts with one another, except for one: the yellow and purple. Both are zebrazomas, both will mess with one another. I'd suggest doing the two together, and last. If you qt and add the yellow to your display, it will become territorial and attack the purple upon entry. Same will happen if you add the purple before the yellow, for this reason I had to qt my gem, yellow, and purple together.

Lyretail anthias are beautiful fish, but they're not unlike chromis in the sense that they die off rapidly. I'd suggest getting 2 more than you want, expect 2 not to make it through qt or die off at some point. Anthias are finicky like that.

You're also going to want to have proper food ready for the copperband. They're finicky eaters as it is, doubles down when you consider how long it'll have to go without aptasia, it's main food source. I was able to get around this using San Francisco Bay angelfish and butterflyfish, for some reason the butterfly I got took to it.

Be cautious mixing other medication with copper, make sure that you have very good aeration and even better water quality. Most fish losses are due to bacterial blooms or ammonia spikes, in some cases you'll even have to do daily water changes, especially in a 25 gallon.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins do not tolerate copper. If you want to avoid qt altogether, contact a local LFS and ask them to get you a pair of tank bred/raised Mandarins from ORA.

The main thing with wrasses is knowing the difference between ionic and chelated copper. There are 2 types: ionic and chelated copper. each one becomes therapeutic at significantly different levels. Chelated at 2.5, ionic is much lower .4-.5. The thing with wrasses is they tolerate chelated, but most likely won't survive treatment through ionic. I've done fairy, rhomboid, and cleaner wrasses through copper power (chelated) just fine.

You're going to want to qt the pistol shrimp separately, it shouldn't need medication. Just leave it alone in a fishless tank as if it was getting the fallow treatment.

As far as the order itself, you fish are relatively non-aggressive. You can do them in any particular order, though starting with clowns is a good start since they're generally hardier.nothing generally conflicts with one another, except for one: the yellow and purple. Both are zebrazomas, both will mess with one another. I'd suggest doing the two together, and last. If you qt and add the yellow to your display, it will become territorial and attack the purple upon entry. Same will happen if you add the purple before the yellow, for this reason I had to qt my gem, yellow, and purple together.

Lyretail anthias are beautiful fish, but they're not unlike chromis in the sense that they die off rapidly. I'd suggest getting 2 more than you want, expect 2 not to make it through qt or die off at some point. Anthias are finicky like that.

You're also going to want to have proper food ready for the copperband. They're finicky eaters as it is, doubles down when you consider how long it'll have to go without aptasia, it's main food source. I was able to get around this using San Francisco Bay angelfish and butterflyfish, for some reason the butterfly I got took to it.

Be cautious mixing other medication with copper, make sure that you have very good aeration and even better water quality. Most fish losses are due to bacterial blooms or ammonia spikes, in some cases you'll even have to do daily water changes, especially in a 25 gallon.
Thank you so much this is exactly what I have been hoping someone would post. giving me good advice and direction to go.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this is going to be the order I input my fish.

2. lawnmower blennie, foxface LO, Yellow Wrasse 55g
3. yellow watchman goby, Starry goby 25g
4. copperband butterfly, yellow eye white tail Kole 55g
5. blue mandarin pair 25g
6. Naoko's Fairy Wrasse x3 1male 2 female 55g
7. lyretail anthias x3 1male 2 female 55g
8. Purple tang, yellow tang 55g

think im going to pass on the longnose hawkfish love look of it but have read a few stories with them eating peoples cleaner shrimp and clams.(both I plan on getting)

To many fish? or just right?

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back