OP
Monster reefer

Monster reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
Well tonight I have a couple of questions for you.
1st question should I start a fish room/ reef keeping YouTube chennel?

2nd question is a little bit more in depth. So my problem is where to put the ponds.
I have a 10' front to back and 7' left to right space to put the ponds.
I have to fit a work bench that is 25"w X 50"L
The ponds from top of the pond to the bottom
1: 41"L X 30"W X 18"H
2: 70L X 46"W X 19"H odd shaped
3: 65L X 45W X 19H more square shaped

Here are some picture
image.jpeg

Both 55 gallons are running
image.jpeg

Ok so I have decided the bottom 3 tanks will have HOB filters due to the hight they are at won't allow them to flow to the sumps.
Currently I have 4 tanks on this system running the top two left and the two in the middle left side.

image.jpeg

Hard to see with out light but their is a UV staralizer that all the water runs through. The trickle filet is set up but no bio filter but live rock.

image.jpeg

Option 1 above

image.jpeg

Option 2 above
image.jpeg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't answer your immediate question but hopefully you've taken steps to insulate your garage. The central Texas summers are brutal and those ponds have much less ability to resist temperature change than the glass tanks they are replacing.

Your chiller will be working 24/7 at this rate over the hot months, which here in Texas is about 75% of the year. If you're doing this fish room as a for-profit venture, I'd calculate the cost of running a chiller 24/7 for basically 7-8 months out of the year. My guess is it'll take a cookie monster sized bite out of any profits you'll make.

Just food for thought. If it isn't helpful, please disregard.

OP
OP
Monster reefer

Monster reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't answer your immediate question but hopefully you've taken steps to insulate your garage. The central Texas summers are brutal and those ponds have much less ability to resist temperature change than the glass tanks they are replacing.

Your chiller will be working 24/7 at this rate over the hot months, which here in Texas is about 75% of the year. If you're doing this fish room as a for-profit venture, I'd calculate the cost of running a chiller 24/7 for basically 7-8 months out of the year. My guess is it'll take a cookie monster sized bite out of any profits you'll make.

Just food for thought. If it isn't helpful, please disregard.

This is true, I will probably be putting some kind of insulation in the garage doors, the walls of the house have foam insulation so it keeps it cool. But the door does get hot. Yes I hope to get a good fragging setup going.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to access all the tanks with the ponds there? It looks very cluttered. Maybe setup 2 systems and move the tanks in the middle of the room against a wall to open things up a little.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic!

We had tanks in our garage and we used Double Refective Insulation from Home Depot on the doors.

We installed a garage cooling system called Vent-A-Garage on our shed. It gets the full belt of the California sun and there were no windows to vent. My sump is outside in this shed, so I needed to cool it down. Without it you couldn't walk in the shed. After this, I could hang out in there in comfort. It's meant to be installed on the garage doors. You set the temperature you would like for the fans to come on and away she goes.

fangarage.jpg

garage fan close.jpg

OP
OP
Monster reefer

Monster reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic!

We had tanks in our garage and we used Double Refective Insulation from Home Depot on the doors.

We installed a garage cooling system called Vent-A-Garage on our shed. It gets the full belt of the California sun and there were no windows to vent. My sump is outside in this shed, so I needed to cool it down. Without it you couldn't walk in the shed. After this, I could hang out in there in comfort. It's meant to be installed on the garage doors. You set the temperature you would like for the fans to come on and away she goes.

fangarage.jpg

garage fan close.jpg

That's cool, if it starts to get hot and Maggie I am going to install these. Last summer it did not get above 90 in the garage.
The build will be a lot of work but maintenance will not be an issue. I have taking care of close to 2000 gallons of tanks before when I worked for PetCo

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back