Fish Room Build Basement

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to build a fish room in the basement but can’t afford to do it all at once.

1) Run floor drain under the cement, out of house or into sewer line? Regular PVC or flexible PVC?

2) Have entire basement epoxied.

3) Best methods for humidity management?

Can the rest come later or am I missing something that needs to be done prior to these steps?

OP
OP
FirstContact

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rigid PVC
Epoxy
Currently send freshwater down the sump pump, but I don't think it's made to stand up to salt. Beach sump pumps are made out of bronze.
For automated water changes, I'm going to install a utility sink.

:)

JPHawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exhaust fan controlled by a humidistat. I installed a Panasonic 240 cfm whisperline fan in my equipment room.

2E1B3A10-4270-4B58-92AD-3320BCC8E507.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rigid PVC
Epoxy
Currently send freshwater down the sump pump, but I don't think it's made to stand up to salt. Beach sump pumps are made out of bronze.
For automated water changes, I'm going to install a utility sink.

:)
Sump pumps are fine with salt- just chase with 2 x bucket volumes of tap water and it’ll dilute it out. For example- I send 50 gallons through my sump ejector pump under my utility sink for water changes. Bucket is five gallons. I have my tank sump hard plumber so all I do is turn a valve and it sends old SW to the ejector puhile I’m doing the water change- I half fill my 22 gallon utility sink with tap water and then pull the plug after the last Ejection of saltwater.
Doing it two years, I pull the bucket and pump to wash every quarter and I’ve never seen any rust on it.

I’m talking about a Zoeller ejector pulp and bucket for use under utility sinks, for clarity.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go check out my build- you might see something that’ll help you.

But I might be moving soon, so It might all be getting ripped out, sadly

OP
OP
FirstContact

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything wrong with running a Panasonic Whisper 390 CFM or 290 CFM in the fish room area of an open unfinished basement ~1900sq ft?

The fish tank area is 18 x 13. I have a lot of water Surface Area when everything is up and running.

It runs off a wall switch and doesn’t come with a humidistat. Will I be able to add one and how?

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with the fan choice. You can add a humidistat switch any time. You can get a switch type that replaces a regular light switch.
Personally I should have went with the ink it’s humidistat. I got the switch type and it’s hard to calibrate, plus several times it wouldn’t activate.

with the inkbird, you also get an leds readout that easy to set limits. Plus it’s less expensive and you don’t have to hardwore it into a box

Back