Fish Room - Filtration

brian313313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to set up a small breeding rack next time Petco has the $1/gal sale. I'm going to get a few aquariums and drill them so I have a common sump. I'll probably do a DIY sump in a 40 breeder but it may depend on Craigslist if I can find a cheap sump or tank. No smaller than 40 though. I figure 2x-40g tanks, 3x-10g, 3x 20 tall. Not sure about the config yet but 2 racks about 3' wide & 18 deep. Nothing on the floor but a sump and 2 levels above that. Might do 3 levels on the small tank rack but I'm not sure. Not quite to that stage of the planning yet.

I've done this for freshwater before. In that case, I just did a ton of bio filtration and didn't worry about nitrates. My sump was plumbed into the house plumbing for automated water changes to manage nitrates. I can't do that for salt and I don't want to do too many water changes. My plan was a 3 stage sump - Filter sock, chaeto fuge, and protein skimmer in that order. Sound good? I'll do water changes as necessary, I just want to minimize them.

Thanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back