Fish Room Preparation questions

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a simple room dehumidifier in the room and run a line from the collection container to an interior drain
You should have a floor drain next to the furnace for the AC evaporator drain. You can also add a vent on the overhead return duct to pull air out of that room and into the hvac to be dried.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the exact unit you bought? Tagging along here as I'm going to be building a fish room soon. Also any photos of your setup? I browsed through your build thread but didn't see any. Lots of awesome fish though!
I have a SEER 15 Goodman mini-split unit, 12000BTU (1 ton). I look online but did not see it for sale there. My air-conditioner people recommended it. When I have the moisture problem, I asked him to help solve it. I know him well, have taken care of him as his doctor for almost 20 years. He listened to me, look at my equipment power usage, water evaporation level, and give this recommendation and have his worker installed it for me.
He also recommended a stand alone dehumidifier. I use a Frigidaire stand alone unit that cost around 200.00 from Best Buy
It works perfectly.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my fish room must-haves: freezer for food, dishwasher and sink.

To exchange air, just a sliding glass door (or windows) with a screen and a box fan are pretty effective.
Freezer and dishwasher is not needed for me.
I just have a 6X10 room with drain and sink. 4 independent circuits into the room all with separate GFCI. Each outlet have it own GFCI so if it trip, only that single outlet trip, not the whole circuit. Each circuit have 6 outlets in the room. I can tell you that I got a lot of GFCI (24 in all) outlets in that room.
I feel that the independent GFCI outlet is really important. The way I wire it, anything short out, only that single device will go out. Even if my main pump go out, the powerheads in the tank, the skimmer and PH in the sump/refugium will not result in the death of my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back