Fish selection crossroad

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a crossroad and need some help from you all. I would like to add some more fish to my 120 mixed reef. I recently realized that I much prefer smaller fish like 3-4” size as they just seem to fit the space better. I had a terminal male ruby headed wrasse pass away recently and he was a good 5-6”. Since his passing the tank just seems more mello. Ive tried a few flashers they have not survived shipping or QT, I had one arrive prequarantined but after releasing to the DT it hid and I never saw it again. I’ve had Anthias they seem to live for 6months to a year then die. I’m not really sure what I want to add. Current inhabitants are, Ornate Leopard Wrasse, pink margin fairy wrasse, yellow eye Kole tang, file fish and 2x striped blennies. I’ve been think maybe a pair or pink skunk clowns, and a pair of royal grammas, maybe a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp. I’ve also thought anout another tang like a yellow but again size is the issue. What would you add?

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is established a pair of manderins
I’m the same and prefer the smaller fish that go in and out,
Clowns again are a for movement and colour,
Prehaps some more Chromis if your anthians keep passing,

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the clowns as well. I would think about firefish/dartfish. I have a pair of red firefish, purple firefish and zebra barred dartfish. The combination of colors really draws attention to the tank.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is established a pair of manderins
I’m the same and prefer the smaller fish that go in and out,
Clowns again are a for movement and colour,
Prehaps some more Chromis if your anthians keep passing,
Chromis just kill each other off, I have thought about a spuringi damsel though.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the clowns as well. I would think about firefish/dartfish. I have a pair of red firefish, purple firefish and zebra barred dartfish. The combination of colors really draws attention to the tank.
I had two fire fish when I first set up the tank. They are pretty, but too timid. I have had dart fish in the past and could not stand the mess they make of the sand.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also restocking my tank and like peaceful fish. I had a fire goby but it went into its cave one day and we never saw it again

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also restocking my tank and like peaceful fish. I had a fire goby but it went into its cave one day and we never saw it again
I love my yellow striped blennies, they have great personalities, are very active, and nice to look at. I would like to add more but I’m not sure they get along across the families.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m gonna give TSM Aquatics a try I think based on reputation and location. I live in Maine, Jersey is much closer than L.A. I have ordered from OceanDevotion preciously and had an A+ experience however with winter and COVID shipping issues I want to source quarantined fish closer to home. So depending on cost, here is what I think I want to add. 1 Royal gramma, pair of pink skunk clowns, yellow watchman goby and shrimp, starry blenny(if it would be okay with my striped blennies), I would also love a mandarin pair (plenty of pods). Any comments or concerns?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back