Fish smell (apparently)

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Wife says my tank smells fishy. I personally do not smell it at all however I do not have the best sniffer.

I had originally set up with 1 filter bag of carbon its about 8"long by 2"wide bag. I am assuming this smell started recently (since she started complaining a day or two ago) I refreshed the carbon in that bag and added and additional 2 bags.

If the carbon doesn't do it what exactly are my options here?

PS. She is in her first trimester so smell sensitivity is at play here

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy smell is odd. Maybe your feeding utensils? Can understand skimmer smell but that’s not fishy smelling imo. Maybe something jumped out of tank? Maybe you’re built backwards, feet smell nose runs?
Serious, fishy smell odd

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should keep smells away (changed every 4 weeks at least) but if it’s coming from the sump for example, or the skimmer cup, you could try a non perfumed air freshener in the sump area, that’s what I use anyway.

Having said that, it ran out a few months ago and the tank doesn’t smell so I haven’t replaced it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to change half carbon every two weeks instead of all carbon every month. Avoid swings

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy smell is odd. Maybe your feeding utensils? Can understand skimmer smell but that’s not fishy smelling imo. Maybe something jumped out of tank? Maybe you’re built backwards, feet smell nose runs?
Serious, fishy smell odd
The skimmer seems to be working quite well. im going to have to make her smell things to help me out here. And yes my feet smell and my nose thinks its trying out for the olympics. #allergyLYFE

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should keep smells away (changed every 4 weeks at least) but if it’s coming from the sump for example, or the skimmer cup, you could try a non perfumed air freshener in the sump area, that’s what I use anyway.

Having said that, it ran out a few months ago and the tank doesn’t smell so I haven’t replaced it.
Im going to give the freshener a go for sure. also might put a hepa air purifier next to it.

Carbon is going to get changed every month from now on. I am currently using some cheap marineland carbon. very dusty. is there potentially a better brand?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your wife isn't wrong especially if your tank is relatively new.
when my tank was newer the combination of algae and the skimmer cup smelled like low tide.
the good news is it does get better over time.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to give the freshener a go for sure. also might put a hepa air purifier next to it.

Carbon is going to get changed every month from now on. I am currently using some cheap marineland carbon. very dusty. is there potentially a better brand?
You could try the Red Sea activated carbon Ive always used that.

I have however just purchased the Seachem Matrix Carbon, because apparently it lasts twice as long so needs less frequent changes. I haven’t tried it yet I’m just using up the rest of the Red Sea

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your wife isn't wrong especially if your tank is relatively new.
when my tank was newer the combination of algae and the skimmer cup smelled like low tide.
the good news is it does get better over time.
I definitely believe her. I just don't know to what extent. When I get home tonight I'm sure she will let me know if its better or not =D

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have however just purchased the Seachem Matrix Carbon, because apparently it lasts twice as long so needs less frequent changes. I haven’t tried it yet I’m just using up the rest of the Red Sea
I tend to drift towards Seachem. In the early days of my hobby their products seemed to work the best for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can vent the skimmer air outflow outside, that may help (I did that to avoid moisture in my basement where the skimmer was). i did that with a bathroom fan mounted in a window, and a set of "snorkels" made of cheap dishwasher discharge tubing sucking air from right over the air outflow, from inside sump and refugia chambers, etc.

More GAC will certainly help. ROX 0.8 is a good choice.

I personally found the smell of my tank and skimmate to approximate the 'smell of the ocean" and it was never a concern, but depending on the organisms in the tank, the smells can be unpleasant.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really like the red sea carbon. Very little dust.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the perks of reef tank - my reef smells like the beach lol but if it stinks like a commercial fish store sounds bad!!! I second carbon. Do you have macro algae?

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the perks of reef tank - my reef smells like the beach lol but if it stinks like a commercial fish store sounds bad!!! I second carbon. Do you have macro algae?
I have no macro algae (nor do i have space for a fuge) I decided to add more carbon and that took care of my issue. =)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a reactor to run the carbon in, or just passively in the sump in bag?

I too have the low tide smell once in a while. I change my carbon and it goes away.

BRS did a great video a few years back about how efficient a reactor was compared to running carbon passively(bags in the sump). The reactor was much more efficient, and removed the tannins and smell from the water much fater.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a reactor to run the carbon in, or just passively in the sump in bag?

I too have the low tide smell once in a while. I change my carbon and it goes away.

BRS did a great video a few years back about how efficient a reactor was compared to running carbon passively(bags in the sump). The reactor was much more efficient, and removed the tannins and smell from the water much fater.
I just have it in my sump in a bag. I really dont have any extra room for anything in my stand. how i have it set though is right after the filter socks is a marine pure brick and then the 4 little bags of carbon next to it so all the water HAS to go through either the carbon or the block. seem to work well enough on this setup. The dream tank however will have all the goodies

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back