Fish Spotlight: Anthias

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying. I was caught off guard by the other person's demand for a source (I always figure people will google), but now that I scroll back up, I see my original statement was, "revert back to female coloring." I've seen gorgeous squareback males look like crap after a few years solo in a tank. Hard to claim "my own eyes" as a source if someone does not want to believe, so I appreciate someone else saying they've noticed it, too. I didn't realize it was the same with bimacs, which I'd like to have someday. I think both females and males of that species are spectacular!

Might even be worse with bimacs. My two males are not as colorful any more even WITH females.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not meant to be taken negatively or discounting your comment, it's pretty common for people to ask if you have any links or info source, and we are already at the source of info being discussed, I usually don't go to google if I'm already at a reef site w/ knowledgeable members.

I've never heard of that. Do you have any kind of documentation?

versus

I'd like to read up on that. Do you have any links?

One reads dismissive; one does not. But I'll take your word that you didn't mean to discount my comment and chalk it up to tone being difficult to read online. I appreciate you clarifying.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of that. Do you have any kind of documentation?

versus

I'd like to read up on that. Do you have any links?

One reads dismissive; one does not. But I'll take your word that you didn't mean to discount my comment and chalk it up to tone being difficult to read online. I appreciate you clarifying.

Over the many years I've spent on reef sites I can't even count how many times that comment has been asked of me or others in that exact manner, basically we are skimming over info here and if there is something posted that is unusual or not common knowledge it is a way of saying we'd like to delve deeper into that topic, how you take it is up to you, but be aware if you are on sites for any amount of time expect to see others asking for links or documentation every now and then.

I think over the years most are pretty aware by now my comments are only to help teach or learn, I'm not negative or mean, sometimes we type in a concise manner.

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aurelentus anthias from my previous tank

15774820377_3e7554e560_z.jpg

15958570441_7983a13e76_z.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This thread needs more anthias! @Sabellafella - I recall you had success with evansi anthias, one of the tougher species. Would love to hear from you!
Ill post my side of anthias keeping sometime this week, have evansi now and also kept tuka. There just such an amazing fish to keep.

Someone brought up, the schooling long term issue. Yup its ruff, females turn to males and its all squared away by then. If somehow we can prevent that, we shall succeed with a school of anthias =)

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 6 lyretail anthias in my 265. absolutely love these fish. i added 2
Bimaculatus Anthias after 4 weeks of qt and its been 2 weeks and they still hide all day behind the rocks except when i feed the tank.
my male lyretail will chase them away. will this eventually calm down.

also i have 6 bartlett's anthias currently in qt. will the same thing happen to them or because of greater numbers will it be ok

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many beautiful fish! I greatly enjoyed reading through everyone's experiences with anthias. I've always wondered though with the blotchy anthias, has anyone kept them in groups? I've only seen them in singles or pairs.

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I received four anthias last year, one turned into a male. Then slowly one by one they got the big red spot and all of them died within two months.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170429_205551.jpg
this guy eats anything I put in my tank. I've had him for around 3 years and he's around 4.5 inches long.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the bimacs difficult? Dispar? I have been looking to buy a group of one of these 2, but after reading this I may think again. They are beautiful but sound difficult to keep in groups. And if the males fade in color without the female around, whats the point?

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20170429_205551.jpg
this guy eats anything I put in my tank. I've had him for around 3 years and he's around 4.5 inches long.
Very nice. Squareback lose color on their squares very easily. Do you have other squareback females in the tank...also, what are you feeding(there is this theory that Mysis does have help in encouraging different color pigments)...

Sam

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1779780C-B9CB-428A-BEDC-BEDD2A3D9596.jpeg

Received 5 Carberryi anthias from LA 5 days ago . They are al eating cyclops voraciously and today started eating finely chopped LRS fish frenzy. My questions are as follows :
1) There is one that is significantly bigger than the rest . How will I know when she turns into a male ?
2) with reference to medicating . All fish so far appear to be acting and eating very normally. I’m reluctant to put them through 30 days of copper prophylactically. So far I have just been feeding and observing . Would you recommend treating with copper and Prazi or can I keep them in qt say for 2 months and if all is well, feel confident that they are parasite free?
1779780C-B9CB-428A-BEDC-BEDD2A3D9596.jpeg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I posted awhile back saying I will never buy one again on post #31. I couldn't resist this beautiful Carberryi Anthias. It was such an alpha that the store thought it was a purple queen anthias and they were selling it for $30 cheaper than the normal Carberryi price. The picture does it no justice. The lime green stripe in the fins and bright cranberry on his head. I literally went and sat in my car debating for 20 minutes whether or not to buy it.
I really wanted to share two things I found to being an excellent solution to their need of feeding and being the new little guy in the tank.
As for feeding. I have a mandarin and use a baby brine shrimp feeding station. I decided to just let a bunch go in the tank freely from the drop in points from my HOB reactor and filter. This guy was in heaven for hours pecking away at all these BBS and the wrasse and flame angel just looked at him like he lost his mind. The part that I like is he is not competing for this food source. As you can imagine the other two fish really show their dominance when the meaty foods are dropped in. I would highly recommend doing this if you have an issue with an anthias being out competed for food.
Also I would like to add if you happen to put one in and there is an issue with bullying. Take mirror and hang it on the outside of the glass. My wrasse was terrible to him. I hung a handheld mirror with some fishing line off my lights. Went out to breakfast and came back. Now the two swim around together like nothing ever happened.
If anyone needs help setting up BBS hatcheries. It is so easy and cheap. Message me. For $40 will buy a 5g pump, airline, 33oz Smartwater bottles, and BBS will feed this fish for a year easy. You do not need a light to hatch BBS. Just the right temperature.

IMG_20180309_114141.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd add mine to the post. Sorry for the bad pics they dont like to sit still. My male pictillis is constantly trying to get the female insterested in him. I have pretty cool video of him dancing around her but she doesnt seem interested. I have a trio of ventralis, the male started out female and quickly changed

20180110_171208.jpg

20180110_171227(0).jpg

20180302_185807.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back