Fish Spotlight: Anthias

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I was an Anthias addict.....

IMG_4169_zps872b778b.jpg

IMG_3908_zpsadc88ede.jpg

IMG_3880_zps1137e5f8.jpg

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy anthias, @MIKE NY ! Please tell us how you got the more delicate species to eat, what they ate, how long you had them, what became of them, which species squabbled within their group, which ones got aggressive with other anthias, and which ones were too shy to survive? Which types do you recommend and which would you not? Please, tell us everything! :oops:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen lots of people try to keep lots of anthias in lots of different size tanks....even up to 1100 gallons.

I've never seen anyone maintain a school.

I have seen people keep buying replacements to make it LOOK LIKE they're maintaining a school....not the same thing. (Know when to say when! LOL)

Anthias are on my never-recommend list because of this.

(Unrelated, but I think they look like goldfish too like the comment above. LOL.)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are correct, not a school, but rather a shoal, and I've seen many people keep large groups long term.
For me I credit the lyretails eating and a monkey see/do reaction w/ the more shy species, and of those I kept carberryi and dispars w/ those lyretails.
I do think however the best method is a QT for anthias, and get them eating there w/out other fish competing, introduce to display healthy and eating what you were feeding in qt.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy anthias, @MIKE NY ! Please tell us how you got the more delicate species to eat, what they ate, how long you had them, what became of them, which species squabbled within their group, which ones got aggressive with other anthias, and which ones were too shy to survive? Which types do you recommend and which would you not? Please, tell us everything! :oops:

Yes! Please share!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are correct, not a school, but rather a shoal, and I've seen many people keep large groups long term.
For me I credit the lyretails eating and a monkey see/do reaction w/ the more shy species, and of those I kept carberryi and dispars w/ those lyretails.
I do think however the best method is a QT for anthias, and get them eating there w/out other fish competing, introduce to display healthy and eating what you were feeding in qt.

I agree completely! I've seen the same.

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some larger square back anthias in a fish store and they really got my attention. I am wondering if keeping a single male square back and a single sunburst as the only anthias if this would work (with other peaceful non-anthias fish of course). My tank is 220 gallons and 30" deep.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some larger square back anthias in a fish store and they really got my attention. I am wondering if keeping a single male square back and a single sunburst as the only anthias if this would work (with other peaceful non-anthias fish of course). My tank is 220 gallons and 30" deep.

Someone else will have to advise on compatibility, but I can tell you the male square spot is likely to revert to female coloring if kept alone. It's a shame, because large males are stunning, yet the females look like goldfish. I haven't heard them to be one of the peaceful anthias; quite the opposite. Anyone I've known to keep them said they were more like lyretails in that regard. Sunburst, on the other hand, are typically peaceful and keep to themselves.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard or seen of a male reverting back to a female, do you have any kind of documentation on this?

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard or seen of a male reverting back to a female, do you have any kind of documentation on this?

Just witnessed through friends' tanks and read about it in various places (reefcentral, local fb groups, etc.). You're under no obligation to take my word.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of questions...LOL....firstly not all were together in the same tank at the same time. Just some of the species I've had over the years. Most if not all will do better in groups with multiple feedings, but just from my experience the larger the species like Lyretails,Bartlett's etc...can survive with a single feeding because they can eat large foods items like full size PE mysis. I aso kept males by themselves, but their colors weren't as vibrant without females present. The shyer more delicate species will defiantly do better in groups will multiple feedings. Most stayed in the rockwork for a few days, but as one ventures out the rest soon followed. I recommend starting with the easier species like Lyretails. I'm also a believer in QTing not only for the obvious health reason, but also so they can start feeding without the competition of the DT. I feed a chum of food throughout the course of the day or with an auto feeder when I'm gone. The more difficult feeders like Tukas etc... will usually start eating with NutrMar Ova or simular foods like fish roe etc.... I use pre mixed foods like LFS etc....and they eat the smaller particles. After a couple of months I start mixing in small pellets so they can eat from the auto feeder. My largest Tuka turned male and became aggressive holding its own bickering with the Bartletts and Lyretails. It even attempted to eat PE mysis, but just couldn't swallow them. Most species lived about three years with some like Lyretails living to 4-5. As mentioned it's very difficult to keep a shoal together for a few years without replacing them. I always lost one or two along the way for whatever reason....

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Article, I have 3 dispar anthias and 1 blotched anthias

will be adding more dispar to reach 5-7

one of them is an excellent camera model

33042955750_6a9bca4ec1_k.jpg

33426056375_4e4bddf16d_k.jpg

32982078631_8b673e0bd4_k.jpg

32585878733_0981ad282f_k.jpg

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up !!! I myself am Anthias addict. Right now I have 13 deepwater anthias in my NPS set up. 6 resplendents, 3 sunsets, 2 sailfins, 1 red saddled and 1 fathead. All get along great, of course there is hierarchy with dominant male resplendent. Actually my sunsets and resplendents are spawning on regular basics. I try to feed them as often as possible, only frozen and live foods. My water temperature is 68 in winter and 70 in summer. Very low light. Looking to add 5 Ventralis and trio of Aurelantus anthias, that should finish my collection. I had anthias before in my SPS tank, and even they were doing good, I see much difference how they act and behave in cooler and dimmer environment.
Some of my fish

30289097933_d617ac93f0_z.jpg

30289099113_d711d96bb1_z.jpg

30947809965_72e3395c3a_z.jpg

31080423062_ab7e5b029f_z.jpg

32791135452_d92dcacf77_z.jpg

32820507031_fdfdccaa3a_z.jpg

33378599250_9e804483d6_z.jpg

33378597380_daba26a78e_z.jpg

33606707202_a220a41765_z.jpg

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not reverting to a female, but male squares will lose a lot of their coloration in the absence of females. Happens with bimacs also.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not reverting to a female, but male squares will lose a lot of their coloration in the absence of females. Happens with bimacs also.

Thanks for clarifying. I was caught off guard by the other person's demand for a source (I always figure people will google), but now that I scroll back up, I see my original statement was, "revert back to female coloring." I've seen gorgeous squareback males look like crap after a few years solo in a tank. Hard to claim "my own eyes" as a source if someone does not want to believe, so I appreciate someone else saying they've noticed it, too. I didn't realize it was the same with bimacs, which I'd like to have someday. I think both females and males of that species are spectacular!

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up !!! I myself am Anthias addict. Right now I have 13 deepwater anthias in my NPS set up. 6 resplendents, 3 sunsets, 2 sailfins, 1 red saddled and 1 fathead. All get along great, of course there is hierarchy with dominant male resplendent. Actually my sunsets and resplendents are spawning on regular basics. I try to feed them as often as possible, only frozen and live foods. My water temperature is 68 in winter and 70 in summer. Very low light. Looking to add 5 Ventralis and trio of Aurelantus anthias, that should finish my collection. I had anthias before in my SPS tank, and even they were doing good, I see much difference how they act and behave in cooler and dimmer environment.

Quite the collection of beauties! Such valuable firsthand info, too - sounds like you're fully prepared for Ventralis and Aurelantus. Seeing how not many people do well with those types, I hope you'll share pictures and your experiences with them. :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying. I was caught off guard by the other person's demand for a source (I always figure people will google), but now that I scroll back up, I see my original statement was, "revert back to female coloring." I've seen gorgeous squareback males look like crap after a few years solo in a tank. Hard to claim "my own eyes" as a source if someone does not want to believe, so I appreciate someone else saying they've noticed it, too. I didn't realize it was the same with bimacs, which I'd like to have someday. I think both females and males of that species are spectacular!

It's not meant to be taken negatively or discounting your comment, it's pretty common for people to ask if you have any links or info source, and we are already at the source of info being discussed, I usually don't go to google if I'm already at a reef site w/ knowledgeable members.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back