OP
G

gabriel21946

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's likely that OP is mistaking the ich life cycle for proof of efficacy (or lack thereof) of UV as a control mechanism. Tomonts will fall off of fish and it will often appear that fish are "recovering" early on in the disease cycle. Tomont-free periods will disappear as the parasites multiply in your tank.

@gabriel21946, you're going to have to invest in a quarantine system -- it doesn't have to be expensive! -- and start treating your fish, safely and in a controlled fashion, with copper (using a Hanna HR copper tester) and let your display go fallow for at least 45 days. You need to break this cycle, and UV alone isn't going to do it for you.
Yes I think this is the best advise. I've lost a number of fish and it's frustrating given the amount invested in my fish and the loss is adding up. Thank-you

OP
OP
G

gabriel21946

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the UV will not guarantee an Ick free tank, putting a ‘more powerful pump’ on it will move water thru it faster, making it less effective (IMO)
I had a pump that was giving me only 160 gph through the UV so it seems like it was not effective based on the recommendation of min 400 GPH so I changed the pump. Once I did this I noticed the spots started disappearing on my tangs, but this is the second time they git ich and have survived. The newly introduced fish I mainly lost expect one clown fish

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back