Fish stocking advice

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'm finishing up my live stock list and would love some feedback/suggestions.

So far I have:
  • 2 Da’Vinci Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)
  • Coral Beauty Angel Fish (Centropyge bispinosus)
  • 3 Lyretail Anthais (pseudanthias squamipinnis) 1 male, 2 females
  • Purple Firefish (Nemateloeotris decora)
  • Kaudern’s Cardinalfish (Pterapogan kauderni)
  • Midas Blenny (Escenius midas)
  • McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
  • Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
  • Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

I've got a 120g (60" long 18" wide 25" tall) with 120lbs live rock and 40g sump. I have a mixed reef with LPS, SPS, softies, clams, and misc inverts (snails, hermits, cleaner shrimp, etc)

I feel like I'm getting pretty close to my fish limit but would love to add another fish or two. I'm wanting a show piece tang. These are the ones that I'm interested in:

Powder blue: My DREAM fish, I hear they are hard to keep (ich) and super aggressive

Powder brown: I really like this one but don't know much about it. (I’m kind of leaning towards this one)

Purple: I hear it would most likely have aggression issues with my yellow

Clown: Don't think my tank is large enough

Kole: I like this fish but don't love it.

I'm up for suggestions for others favorite show fish that are not necessarily tangs. Or help deciding which tang would be the best fit for me.

9AD757F2-0C1E-4A92-B4E9-1B77E0691467.jpeg

NYAquatic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I'd think you have some room.
Not a lot of bigger fish
If you want another tang, plan on adding 2 more at same time.
I try to avoid 2's whenever possible
Best best go from 1 to 3
Avoid purple with yellow already established
Powder blue, Hippo, Naso, Kole all should work

best of luck

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue/brown: You are right in that they are really sensitive to ich and velvet and are aggressive. Did you qt and treat other fishes? 5' really isn't great for these species.
Purple tang: Folks do mix these on occasion with yellows. I don't think it's a good bet to try to keep those two.
Clown: As in clown tang? I agree that the tank isn't big enough. They can also become really aggressive.
Kole: This, or one of its close cousins would be your best choice. Tomini, kole, truncated, white tail, two-spot.....but not chevron.

Any of the Naso tangs will get way too big, quickly.

A foxface might be an option. The magnificent foxes are quite striking. Another option might be a Genicanthus angel: lamarck, bellus, spotbreast, watanabe.

If the yellow tang is established and large, it could be tough to add another similarly shaped fish....So use caution. Also, two can be a bad number for tangs.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue/brown: You are right in that they are really sensitive to ich and velvet and are aggressive. Did you qt and treat other fishes? 5' really isn't great for these species.
Purple tang: Folks do mix these on occasion with yellows. I don't think it's a good bet to try to keep those two.
Clown: As in clown tang? I agree that the tank isn't big enough. They can also become really aggressive.
Kole: This, or one of its close cousins would be your best choice. Tomini, kole, truncated, white tail, two-spot.....but not chevron.

A foxface might be an option. The magnificent foxes are quite striking. Another option might be a Genicanthus angel: lamarck, bellus, spotbreast, watanabe.

If the yellow tang is established and large, it could be tough to add another similarly shaped fish....So use caution. Also, two can be a bad number for tangs.

The yellow has been in for about a month and is not very large, maybe 2 1/2”

I’ve thought about the fox face, it’s another one that I like, just don’t love.

I thought that angels typically weren’t reef safe, especially considering I have the dwarf angel beauty already.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think you have some room.
Not a lot of bigger fish
If you want another tang, plan on adding 2 more at same time.
I try to avoid 2's whenever possible
Best best go from 1 to 3
Avoid purple with yellow already established
Powder blue, Hippo, Naso, Kole all should work

best of luck
I’ve read that adding 2 at the same time might help, I just didn’t think I had the room.

Thanks for the info!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back