View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,firstly hope all is ok.
So far tank is 2 month since wet.
Current fish.
2 juvenile clownfish ( common) just over 1#
1 gold streaked blennie or in us called one spot blennie i believe about 2# long.
3 red scarlet hermits.

Im wanting:
Goby/ shrimp pair.either ywg/tiger pistol or yasha goby/ candy cane shrimp.
Corus wrasse or any 1 or 2 wrasses that are invert safe-ish and capable of eating some pests if needs arrive.
Coral beauty
Yellow tang or one spot fox face ( i know my actual display tank only 300 litres/ 80 gallons so at bottom end of size recommended)
Would like a harlequin tusk fish but thought it a defo no no as eat my crabs/shrimps /snails etc but been told recently if kept well fed then shouldnt be problem but ovbiously size of my tank i know.but it my dream fish .
Then when sand bed established at like one year mark would like maybe dragonet/ mandarin or some sand sifting fish like a goby/ jawfish etc.but some research i been doing saying add most peaceful first to most agressive last so some these sand sifting or dragonets seems like should go in first but ovbiously need let sand bed establish ( option of adding copepods or other means of food could look into) acliminastion box for 24 hours or whatever needed could come in handy for the late editions if peaceful guys and add as lights out etc.
So 3 fish i got add the other 5 = 8 and i thinking wanting 8- 10 fish ,with mixture of few mainly swimming around/ grazing then few with activity on sand bed and then few on rocks..
So any ideas on other 2 fish and their names and what order to add them,which will be 1 fish per month or at a push 2 at a time.

I will be adding say about 3 more red hermits and 4 blue legged.
Mixture of about 10 snails.
Cleaner shrimp or 2 if think wouldnt be a problem.got 2 rock structures.
Couple brittle stars or some sand sifting star ovbiously when time is right.

I like the quirky/colourful guys but would like the fish to have a duty/ job so to speak of possible.
I wanted to build a nice nsa aquascape but as bought these rocks 5 years ago i used these big rock boulders and broke them up best i could.only small section of one touches bottom glass and rest above sandbed with lots nooks/ crannies/ swim throughs,some for larger fish and some best way i can describe is passage ways for cuc and small fish only so still got flow through rocks and cuc can clean through etc.
The structure on left has big cave/ swim through at bottom at front.plus cave to the side plus the swim throughs/ underhangs/ overhangs/and off course passage ways for small fish and cuc like other structure.got different heights and juts out around back for coral placement/ growth.
So maybe if 8 fish above are possible then another blennie to go with blennie i already got and one more or change some off list i already made ? Im showing pics of rocks as to show eventually be enough hide holes/ caves etc for fish that like rocks.tank currently not showing visable signs of algae.got algae flakes,oceans nutrition green algae sheets,vitalis meaty pellets,frozen brine shrimp and another mixed frozen food to feed current 3 fish and any others till i get my algae growth and all eating mixture of foods at present.
What you guys think ?
If i could i would just have all wrasses and gobies/ blennies but dont think it wise as new to salt side of hobby ha ha

Screenshot_20210522-231203_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231212_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231301_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231307_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231409_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231420_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231452_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231458_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210522-231516_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your overall plan is not bad, but I do have some suggestions for you:

First, I know it's your dream fish, but I'd pass on the harlequin. They need a larger tank and do present some problems for your inverts. And often, when people say, "They should be fine if you feed enough," don't really say what they mean by "enough." I know the pain; I'd love a quoyi parrotfish, a crosshatch trigger, and a pair of bellus angels, but my tank (about as big as yours) just isn't big enough. But for the sake of your wallet and your heartbreak, I'd skip on that particular fish.

For your tang/foxface, I'd suggest I'd keeping with one of the smaller foxfaces or going with a bristletooth tang, like a tomini, whitetail, or kole. Yellow tangs are impossible to get now unless you're lucky enough to find one of the Biota captive-bred ones, which are not exactly in good supply yet. Bristletooth tangs are a better fit for your size of tank anyhow, and while they don't have the brilliant coloration of a yellow, they're still attractive and active fish.

No issue with the shrimp goby, those are fine in just about any tank as long as they aren't kept with predators.

For wrasse, I'd recommend 2-3, just because they're gorgeous fish that tend to be relatively easy to get along with almost anything. Get a melanarus for utility, and some type of flasher or fairy wrasse just because. A Springeri damsel is another fish that you can get that fills some of the same roles as a melanarus, but they tend to be harder to find, even though they're almost always cheap when they do show up.

Coral beauty, like any dwarf angel, is a calculated risk. They can develop an appetite for fleshy corals, but they might not. If you're going to roll the dice with a Centropyge, then a coral beauty is one of the better ones to roll them with.

Mandarins are not sand sifters, so don't pick on up expecting them to perform that function. Definitely wait at least a year before adding one. You can keep them along with a true sand-sifting fish, but make sure your sandsifter can supplement its diet with regular fish food. Your mandarin will absolutely decimate your microfauna population, so make sure you give it plenty of time to get established, and make sure that you can actually observe copepods on your rocks and glass before you bring in the mandarin.

For other fish - firefish are classics. You can get away with some anthias species, provided you can feed them often enough. Royal gramma or any other basslets would work well. A Rainford's goby would be good. Flame hawkfish is a possibility, though be aware that some hawks will decide to make a meal out of smaller tankmates. Orchid dottybacks are gorgeous fish and don't come equipped with the usual dottyback, "I may only be five centimeters long, but I will rip you to shreds," attitude. And you can always just stock up on fairy and/or flasher wrasse - as long as you're not picking up two of the same species, they're pretty easy to bring in. Banggai or Pajama cardinals are another popular option.

Lastly, I would recommend drastically scaling up your planned CUC. I have about the same size tank as you, and my CUC consists of:

• 2 pincushion urchins
  • 4 fighting conches
  • 10-15 Astrea snails
  • 5-6 Trochus snails
  • 10-15 Maragarite snails
  • 5-10 nerites snails
  • 20+ cerith snails
  • 2 money cowries
  • 2 emerald crabs
  • 5 hermit crabs
  • 20+ dwarf ceriths
  • 10+ nassarius snails
  • 1 massive Zebra turbo snail
  • 2 slightly less massive Mexican turbo snails
  • Untold numbers of asterina starfish, chitons, mini brittle stars and various microcleaners.
I wouldn't recommend picking all of that up at once, but you should plan on adding to your CUC continuously until you end up at the ideal level.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your overall plan is not bad, but I do have some suggestions for you:

First, I know it's your dream fish, but I'd pass on the harlequin. They need a larger tank and do present some problems for your inverts. And often, when people say, "They should be fine if you feed enough," don't really say what they mean by "enough." I know the pain; I'd love a quoyi parrotfish, a crosshatch trigger, and a pair of bellus angels, but my tank (about as big as yours) just isn't big enough. But for the sake of your wallet and your heartbreak, I'd skip on that particular fish.

For your tang/foxface, I'd suggest I'd keeping with one of the smaller foxfaces or going with a bristletooth tang, like a tomini, whitetail, or kole. Yellow tangs are impossible to get now unless you're lucky enough to find one of the Biota captive-bred ones, which are not exactly in good supply yet. Bristletooth tangs are a better fit for your size of tank anyhow, and while they don't have the brilliant coloration of a yellow, they're still attractive and active fish.

No issue with the shrimp goby, those are fine in just about any tank as long as they aren't kept with predators.

For wrasse, I'd recommend 2-3, just because they're gorgeous fish that tend to be relatively easy to get along with almost anything. Get a melanarus for utility, and some type of flasher or fairy wrasse just because. A Springeri damsel is another fish that you can get that fills some of the same roles as a melanarus, but they tend to be harder to find, even though they're almost always cheap when they do show up.

Coral beauty, like any dwarf angel, is a calculated risk. They can develop an appetite for fleshy corals, but they might not. If you're going to roll the dice with a Centropyge, then a coral beauty is one of the better ones to roll them with.

Mandarins are not sand sifters, so don't pick on up expecting them to perform that function. Definitely wait at least a year before adding one. You can keep them along with a true sand-sifting fish, but make sure your sandsifter can supplement its diet with regular fish food. Your mandarin will absolutely decimate your microfauna population, so make sure you give it plenty of time to get established, and make sure that you can actually observe copepods on your rocks and glass before you bring in the mandarin.

For other fish - firefish are classics. You can get away with some anthias species, provided you can feed them often enough. Royal gramma or any other basslets would work well. A Rainford's goby would be good. Flame hawkfish is a possibility, though be aware that some hawks will decide to make a meal out of smaller tankmates. Orchid dottybacks are gorgeous fish and don't come equipped with the usual dottyback, "I may only be five centimeters long, but I will rip you to shreds," attitude. And you can always just stock up on fairy and/or flasher wrasse - as long as you're not picking up two of the same species, they're pretty easy to bring in. Banggai or Pajama cardinals are another popular option.

Lastly, I would recommend drastically scaling up your planned CUC. I have about the same size tank as you, and my CUC consists of:

• 2 pincushion urchins
  • 4 fighting conches
  • 10-15 Astrea snails
  • 5-6 Trochus snails
  • 10-15 Maragarite snails
  • 5-10 nerites snails
  • 20+ cerith snails
  • 2 money cowries
  • 2 emerald crabs
  • 5 hermit crabs
  • 20+ dwarf ceriths
  • 10+ nassarius snails
  • 1 massive Zebra turbo snail
  • 2 slightly less massive Mexican turbo snails
  • Untold numbers of asterina starfish, chitons, mini brittle stars and various microcleaners.
I wouldn't recommend picking all of that up at once, but you should plan on adding to your CUC continuously until you end up at the ideal level.

Thanks for reply.
Yeah no intention getting harlequin tusk,just saying would love one.
Good news on your opinion 2- 3 wrasses as yeah they gorgeous active useful fish.
Yeah i know mandarins not sand sifters,i just added them in same sentence as best to have a established sandbed/ system before adding them like sand sifters.
My local lfs said that they still get yellow tangs in and nowhere near the price i see them at but last few months never seen one at the lfs so ummmm.
Yeah smaller foxface be better advised than yellow tang annyhow.

And i was going put in original post i dont like benghai cardinals or fire fish or Pajama cardinals but decided not to.i just dont like that they do nothing really or seems to me they do nothing ^_^
Will look into basslets and other options you give thanks.
And yeah cuc was just initial stocking and would increase if needed,seems like everyones cuc is massive and all rocks be totally full of them but guess they all inhabit different spaces under sand/ on sand/ on rocks/ in rocks/ on glass etc
Ok thanks very much indeed

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i was going put in original post i dont like benghai cardinals or fire fish or Pajama cardinals but decided not to.i just dont like that they do nothing really or seems to me they do nothing ^_^
Will look into basslets and other options you give thanks.
And yeah cuc was just initial stocking and would increase if needed,seems like everyones cuc is massive and all rocks be totally full of them but guess they all inhabit different spaces under sand/ on sand/ on rocks/ in rocks/ on glass etc
Ok thanks very much indeed

Well, I can't disagree with you on the two cardinals, just listing out some options. Firefish are pretty cool, but to each their own. =) Basslets are pretty cool... if you can't find a yellow tang and still want something yellow, there is a yellow assessor that you can sometimes find. Gorgeous fish with some fun habits (they often swim upside down). I've nearly pulled the trigger on one at least half a dozen times. Royal grammas and chalk basslets are both pretty nice as well.

The situation for yellow tangs might be different in the UK than it is over here. They do live in places other than Hawaii, so if the UK sources have relied on other collection areas, it might not be as dire as it is over here.

Your plan with CUC is the right one. Build it up as needed. If you notice something accumulating in your tank, beef up the CUC for that issue. See a lot of detritus? Hermits, nassarius snails, and emerald crabs. Bubble algae or bryopsis? Emerald crab. Excessive film algae? Astrea/trochus/cerith snails. Short turf algae? Turbo snails. Aiptasia? Napalm.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basslets are pretty cool... if you can't find a yellow tang and still want something yellow, there is a yellow assessor that you can sometimes find. Gorgeous fish with some fun habits (they often swim upside down). I've nearly pulled the trigger on one at least half a dozen times. Royal grammas and chalk basslets are both pretty nice as well.

Not had time to look up on basslets yet.but i got picture in back my head of a nice red / white striped one if remember correctly.when get home will have look on net on different kinds/ tank size/ temperment etc.

The situation for yellow tangs might be different in the UK than it is over here. They do live in places other than Hawaii, so if the UK sources have relied on other collection areas, it might not be as dire as it is over here.

Wanting yellow tang because it colour/ algae eating/ grazing/ active fish and when i think of reef tanks ,yellow tangs are one first fish i think off.if can get one without spending ridiculous money then defo a strong option but if a one spot fox face does same job and is active,algae eating fish then im happy with that,and will look into yellow assessors you mention also.

And thanks for info on cuc members and what they can help get rid off/ keep under control.soon over next few weeks think will be time to get first decent sized batch of cuc as at moment only got 3 hermits to literally check the water and see if did ok in dt whilst waiting for first 2 fish finish in qt.and 3 days ago noticed first brown spot on the overflow and this morning,looking around the tank can see numerous small brownish/ red spots on overflow/ rocks and looks like possible sand bed ( looks like a burn from a laser lol ) and also seen one green spot.
So guessing this is start of the algae cycle ( ugly's starting) coming from the algae on back of hermits shells which one of reasons why bought the 3 hermits.2 of the hermits stay on top of the rocks at highest point of rocks most of day just chilling and getting more fuzxy red/ brown as days go by so im hoping i get a big algae bloom and algae all over the rocks so can add more cuc and algae eating fish ( but you know what they say," be careful what you wish for hey ha ha "
Regarding emerald crabs i did initially want one or 2 of these as good bubble algae eaters and good characters but read alot of bad threads on eating corals etc but like any thread on here,people more inclined asking for help when something goes wrong than they are to say everything is going ok and got no problems and want no advice ^_^
Same as fish dieseses and qt or not to qt as seems like nearly all saltwater fish are diesesed/ got parasites so 100% need to qt so im at crossroads regarding qt or not to if im honest but that a whole different complicated story ^_^.
Ok thanks for your reply and advice and will look up on net shortly.hope all is well with yourself and family.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very nice fish indeed.ty for recommendation.
Ok so far im thinking.
2 clown fish and gold streaked blennie.

Then add ywg or yashi goby.
Yellow assessor.
Corus wrasse/melanurus/ fairy wrasse and or 2 peacefull- ish wrasses in total for activity/ colours/ possible pests.
One spot yellow fox face.
Coral beauty.
Then a sand sifting fish or mandarin/ red dragonet or even a pair.
So that's the 10/ 11 fish that i think is sensible for a 300 litre tank ( extra 90 litre sump,but only extra 60- 65 litres running) .
All relatively small fish except fox face and coral beauty/ wrasse so possibly could pair some up or add another utilarian fish like some kind of algae eating blennie.
Also looked up on damsel you recommended Springeri damsel,i always thought/ read up all damsels are total jerks but last hour reading alot on how peaceful they are and would add a nice blue colouring to tank so possible option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-201738_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-201738_Chrome.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basslets are pretty cool... if you can't find a yellow tang and still want something yellow, there is a yellow assessor that you can sometimes find. Gorgeous fish with some fun habits (they often swim upside down). I've nearly pulled the trigger on one at least half a dozen times. Royal grammas and chalk basslets are both pretty nice as well.

Not had time to look up on basslets yet.but i got picture in back my head of a nice red / white striped one if remember correctly.when get home will have look on net on different kinds/ tank size/ temperment etc.

Wanting yellow tang because it colour/ algae eating/ grazing/ active fish and when i think of reef tanks ,yellow tangs are one first fish i think off.if can get one without spending ridiculous money then defo a strong option but if a one spot fox face does same job and is active,algae eating fish then im happy with that,and will look into yellow assessors you mention also.

And thanks for info on cuc members and what they can help get rid off/ keep under control.soon over next few weeks think will be time to get first decent sized batch of cuc as at moment only got 3 hermits to literally check the water and see if did ok in dt whilst waiting for first 2 fish finish in qt.and 3 days ago noticed first brown spot on the overflow and this morning,looking around the tank can see numerous small brownish/ red spots on overflow/ rocks and looks like possible sand bed ( looks like a burn from a laser lol ) and also seen one green spot.
So guessing this is start of the algae cycle ( ugly's starting) coming from the algae on back of hermits shells which one of reasons why bought the 3 hermits.2 of the hermits stay on top of the rocks at highest point of rocks most of day just chilling and getting more fuzxy red/ brown as days go by so im hoping i get a big algae bloom and algae all over the rocks so can add more cuc and algae eating fish ( but you know what they say," be careful what you wish for hey ha ha "
Regarding emerald crabs i did initially want one or 2 of these as good bubble algae eaters and good characters but read alot of bad threads on eating corals etc but like any thread on here,people more inclined asking for help when something goes wrong than they are to say everything is going ok and got no problems and want no advice ^_^
Same as fish dieseses and qt or not to qt as seems like nearly all saltwater fish are diesesed/ got parasites so 100% need to qt so im at crossroads regarding qt or not to if im honest but that a whole different complicated story ^_^.
Ok thanks for your reply and advice and will look up on net shortly.hope all is well with yourself and family.

Anything with claws is a potential risk for corals. Emerald crabs are no different. That said, they only tend to go rogue when they get quite large and there isn't enough for them to eat. Supplementing with nori can help keep them on the straight and narrow, and some of your other fish would likely love the nori as well. If you do get any emeralds, make sure to keep the nori low enough so that they can enjoy it as well.

As for your final stocking list... looks like a pretty good list. I don't see any problems with it, as long as you're OK with the potential coral nipping from the coral beauty and the foxface. Adding nori on a regular basis should help the foxface stay on the straight and narrow. Both are a small risk (the coral beauty more than the foxface), but feeding heavier should help dissuade that. Would definitely recommend getting some type of autofeeder (Eheim works in a pinch) so that you don't have to remember to keep them at least decently fed. =)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back