Fish stocking ideas for new tank?

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am currently upgrading my tank and would like some suggestions of what kind of fish I should stock it with. The tank is a nuvo fusion 30l. :)

-Angela

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am currently upgrading my tank and would like some suggestions of what kind of fish I should stock it with. The tank is a nuvo fusion 30l. :)

-Angela
I try to find a combination of color, shape, size, feeding preferences, aggressiveness, swimming habitat and interesting behaviors. A lot of factors to consider for sure and as you know, you can post your proposed fish list on this forum and get a lot of comment from experienced hobbyists and professionals. I try to select my fish carefully since they are usually hard to catch once established, particularly in a tank with a nice aquascape you don't want to remove, lol.

One species that I really like is the long nose hawkfish: not too large, hardy, somewhat aggressive (watch the inverts), very interesting color pattern, perches on rocks and coral and is somewhat unusual in shape.

Good luck, that Nuvo 30 is a very nice tank.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clowns are always a good fit for a tank that size. A goby/shrimp pair would work as would a blenny. You can probably also work in a smaller wrasse or two. There are a lot of options. Was there anything in particular that you liked? Start with that and see what else is compatible.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to find a combination of color, shape, size, feeding preferences, aggressiveness, swimming habitat and interesting behaviors. A lot of factors to consider for sure and as you know, you can post your proposed fish list on this forum and get a lot of comment from experienced hobbyists and professionals. I try to select my fish carefully since they are usually hard to catch once established, particularly in a tank with a nice aquascape you don't want to remove, lol.

One species that I really like is the long nose hawkfish: not too large, hardy, somewhat aggressive (watch the inverts), very interesting color pattern, perches on rocks and coral and is somewhat unusual in shape.

Good luck, that Nuvo 30 is a very nice tank.
Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clowns are always a good fit for a tank that size. A goby/shrimp pair would work as would a blenny. You can probably also work in a smaller wrasse or two. There are a lot of options. Was there anything in particular that you liked? Start with that and see what else is compatible.
I have a pair of frostbites that I love to death. Canary wrasse would be really cool or what about a solon wrasse?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of frostbites that I love to death. Canary wrasse would be really cool or what about a solon wrasse?

Solon gets to 5", too big for the 30. A McCosker's or Carpenter's flasher might work but I'd check with a wrasse expert to be sure. The tail spot blenny recommendation is a good one. I had one and loved it. Same with the skunk cleaner shrimp.

Maybe a Royal Gramma?

Your clowns, a small flasher wrasse, tail spot blenny, a goby/shrimp pair and a royal gramma would be a good combo IMO. Double check the flasher wrasse though to make sure a 30 will suffice for it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses, the pink streak or a possum wrasse are what I would recommend.

Royal gramma, swales basslet, chalk bass, longnose or flame hawk, starry ot stigmatura blenny would be good options.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solon gets to 5", too big for the 30. A McCosker's or Carpenter's flasher might work but I'd check with a wrasse expert to be sure. The tail spot blenny recommendation is a good one. I had one and loved it. Same with the skunk cleaner shrimp.

Maybe a Royal Gramma?

Your clowns, a small flasher wrasse, tail spot blenny, a goby/shrimp pair and a royal gramma would be a good combo IMO. Double check the flasher wrasse though to make sure a 30 will suffice for it.

Thanks so much! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back