Fish stocking suggestions for my new tank ,,

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank and am looking for fish suggestions for it ,, I am not a fish person ,, more or less

The tank isn't big 48x15x24 ,, that 15 is really a 13 ,, that's the water depth in the tank ,, tank has a external overflow box ,, I started the tank with some cured Live Rock ,, some dry rock ,, lots of cured Bio Spheres that came out of my 150g system ,, 60# of Live Sand ,, most all of the rock is flat or shelf rock ,, good for encrusting Chalices or making a acan garden on it ,, I will have a screen top over the tank ,, isn't made yet ,, but I have the screen to make the top. Primarily this is a chalice tank ,, it may end up with some acans in it and maybe a mushroom section ,, I would classify this as a frag tank that is a display tank for Chalices :) I like to feed my corals ,, Reef Roids ,, so food will be going into this tank ,, I may end up with a small Pax Bellum on this system ,,

I have two Eco Tech XR15 G4 Pros over the tank ,, heavy on bluish lighting ,, low on white lighting ,,

The only fish that is a must have ,, more or less ,, is a Naoko"s Wrasse ,, my larger tank as a wide variety of Wrasses in it ,, the Pros in this section have suggested that the Naoko's Wrasse should be the only Wrasse in its tank ,, this new tank is my opportunity to get this fish :) The tank has 2 Blue Chromis in it right now ,, I haven't bought any other fish until I have some sort of stocking plan,,

So what I want and don't want ,, I don't want the tank over stocked ,, but I don't want it under stocked ,, I have always read ,, a successful reef tank has a healthy fish population in it ,, this isn't going to be a fish display tank ,, corals will be fed ,, so I am not going to need fish waste to feed the corals 100% of the time ,, I want a working fish population ,, to maintain the tank ,, a algae eater ,, maybe a Tang if there is one out there ,, what I would like is one that won't get to big and have to be removed from the tank at some point because he out grew the tank ,, I am open to suggestions on how to stock the tank ,,

Last edited:

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank and am looking for fish suggestions for it ,, I am not a fish person ,, more or less

The tank isn't big 48x15x24 ,, that 15 is really a 13 ,, that's the water depth in the tank ,, tank has a external overflow box ,, I started the tank with some cured Live Rock ,, some dry rock ,, lots of cured Bio Spheres that came out of my 150g system ,, 60# of Live Sand ,, most all of the rock is flat or shelf rock ,, good for encrusting Chalices or making a acan garden on it ,, I will have a screen top over the tank ,, isn't made yet ,, but I have the screen to make the top. Primarily this is a chalice tank ,, it may end up with some acans in it and maybe a mushroom section ,, I would classify this as a frag tank that is a display tank for Chalices :) I like to feed my corals ,, Reef Roids ,, so food will be going into this tank ,, I may end up with a small Pax Bellum on this system ,,

I have two Eco Tech XR15 G4 Pros over the tank ,, heavy on bluish lighting ,, low on white lighting ,,

The only fish that is a must have ,, more or less ,, is a Naoko"s Wrasse ,, my larger tank as a wide variety of Wrasses in it ,, the Pros in this section have suggested that the Naoko's Wrasse should be the only Wrasse in its tank ,, this new tank is my opportunity to get this fish :) The tank has 2 Blue Chromis in it right now ,, I haven't bought any other fish until I have some sort of stocking plan,,

So what I want and don't want ,, I don't want the tank over stocked ,, but I don't want it under stocked ,, I have always read ,, a successful reef tank has a healthy fish population in it ,, this isn't going to be a fish display tank ,, more or less ,, I have that in my 150g tank ,, I want a working fish population ,, to maintain the tank ,, a algae eater ,, maybe a Tang if there is one out there ,, what I would like is one that won't get to big and have to be removed from the tank at some point because he out grew the tank ,, I am open to suggestions on how to stock the tank ,,
Not really sure how many gallons your tank is, Kole Tangs stay on smaller size and do a great job cleaning the tank. I have one in each of my tanks. Tell me how many gallons the new tank will be?

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what I want and don't want ,, I don't want the tank over stocked ,, but I don't want it under stocked ,, I have always read ,, a successful reef tank has a healthy fish population in it ,, this isn't going to be a fish display tank ,, corals will be fed ,, so I am not going to need fish waste to feed the corals 100% of the time ,, I want a working fish population ,, to maintain the tank ,, a algae eater ,, maybe a Tang if there is one out there ,, what I would like is one that won't get to big and have to be removed from the tank at some point because he out grew the tank ,, I am open to suggestions on how to stock the tank ,,
If it’s a 65gallon, you could do a Kole tang, coral beauty angel, royal gramma , long nose hawkfish. Those are some of my favorites that stay on smaller side.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 x 15 x 24 x 0.00434 gallons per cubic inch = 75 gallons

Is the tank 24" front to back or 24" high?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back