Fish stocking?

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I have a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. Tank has had fish in for about 1 month I’m trying to figure out the livestock for the tank so I would like some suggestions. So far I have one occelaris clown and one one spot Foxface. I plan on getting another clown soon. I’m not sure what other fish to get other than that. I do really like the fairy and flasher wrasses so I made a stocking list if anyone could give me advice.

2 clowns
One spot Foxface
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse
McCoscker Fairy wrasse.
Some type of Blenny?
Lieutenant tang
Scopas tang
Bristlenose Tomini tang.

Here is my tank for reference

DBE7AA3C-404D-4CAA-B509-7149DD0594C3.jpeg 5207438B-D48A-440B-B902-5FA1C0DD017B.jpeg E63C1B7E-AC51-4E3B-A80A-68B994749D6C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copperband butterfly
Kleini butterfly
Heniocus butterfly
Lyretail anthias
Flame angel

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I have a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. Tank has had fish in for about 1 month I’m trying to figure out the livestock for the tank so I would like some suggestions. So far I have one occelaris clown and one one spot Foxface. I plan on getting another clown soon. I’m not sure what other fish to get other than that. I do really like the fairy and flasher wrasses so I made a stocking list if anyone could give me advice.

2 clowns
One spot Foxface
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse
McCoscker Fairy wrasse.
Some type of Blenny?
Lieutenant tang
Scopas tang
Bristlenose Tomini tang.

DBE7AA3C-404D-4CAA-B509-7149DD0594C3.jpeg 5207438B-D48A-440B-B902-5FA1C0DD017B.jpeg E63C1B7E-AC51-4E3B-A80A-68B994749D6C.jpeg
From what I've read, I'd skip the lieutenant tang, as it will likely grow too large for your tank and may be problematic with the other tangs.

The rest of the list looks like it could work in a 120-gallon tank based on my own research for similarly-sized tanks. Note that I'm still a relative beginner, though, so this is based primarily on research.

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, I'd skip the lieutenant tang, as it will likely grow too large for your tank and may be problematic with the other tangs.

The rest of the list looks like it could work in a 120-gallon tank based on my own research for similarly-sized tanks. Note that I'm still a relative beginner, though, so this is based primarily on research.
Yeah I may do that thanks

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also skip the large tang. The other two are fine for a 120g.
Make sure to have a good cover for the tank. Wrasses love to jump. They manage to find even the smallest of holes to jump out.
FYI tank is so clean as it is new, make sure the foxface is eating lots of algae. Sheets or pellets or mastick. They love to pick all day long. Miss my guy so much (passed of old age many years back now).

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to have a good cover for the tank. Wrasses love to jump. They manage to find even the smallest of holes to jump out.
FYI tank is so clean as it is new, make sure the foxface is eating lots of algae. Sheets or pellets or mastick. They love to pick all day long. Miss my guy so much (passed of old age many years back now).
Yea I will definitely skip the larger tang. I have 1/8 netting over a eurobrace so I should be set on the lid. Right now tank is going through a diatom bloom and Foxface is always grazing on the rocks. I also feed mysis twice a day and nori every other day

Attachments

• 045807F9-E978-420C-A831-05588ED25F0F.jpeg
    045807F9-E978-420C-A831-05588ED25F0F.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other fish you would add or would that be a good final stocking list

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty good for a 120g. However, some smaller fish would be fun too. If you go with a lawnmower type blenny, wait until you have lots of algae to eat. They fair better in older systems FME.
You can add a bit more sand in an area and get a yellow coris wrasse. I love these guys. Great for eating pests and so colorful.
I personally would not have a tank without my damsels. You do need proper hiding areas, and with your current scape I would only add maybe two talbots. If it fills in more with corals, you could add some azures.
A sand dwelling friend. Maybe pistol/goby combo or jawfish. Would need some rubble for the jawfish.

What corals and other inverts are you thinking of having? Can actually be a big deal when planning fish.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 clowns
One spot Foxface
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse
McCoscker Fairy wrasse.
Some type of Blenny?
Lieutenant tang
Scopas tang
Bristlenose Tomini tang.

for the blenny, you can get a madarin blenny
they are very beautiful,
you also could get pajama cardinals.

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty good for a 120g. However, some smaller fish would be fun too. If you go with a lawnmower type blenny, wait until you have lots of algae to eat. They fair better in older systems FME.
You can add a bit more sand in an area and get a yellow coris wrasse. I love these guys. Great for eating pests and so colorful.
I personally would not have a tank without my damsels. You do need proper hiding areas, and with your current scape I would only add maybe two talbots. If it fills in more with corals, you could add some azures.
A sand dwelling friend. Maybe pistol/goby combo or jawfish. Would need some rubble for the jawfish.

What corals and other inverts are you thinking of having? Can actually be a big deal when planning fish.
I do like the smaller fish too but I’m having trouble finding colorful fish that aren’t too expensive. I’ll definitely consider the coris wrasse. I plan on having acans in the sandbed, a euphullia garden and the rest will be sps. Here is my cuc. I just ordered them and it should arrive by Friday

Attachments

• 0E10ECD8-BE7F-470B-A1A4-689E28853DCA.jpeg
    0E10ECD8-BE7F-470B-A1A4-689E28853DCA.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 37

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s my first tank so I don’t know about the butterflies. Also I don’t want the risk of coral nipping
For coral nipping bluehead kleini will touch nothing but must be bluehead

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good clean up crew. For a 120g, you will need more for the sand, but you can give it time. I also love my cucumbers. I got mine from Aquacorals.com. Four of them and still have at least three from years ago. Even after a few tank changes and moves and cleanouts. :) The sand ones, not anything fancy.

I hate hermits, but some really like them. They just like to kill each other too much.

If you like small colorful fish, azure damsels cannot be beat. They can be tank bred and have great color and swim around a lot. Need the hidey holes, but you can do with 2 or 3 of them. If you forgo the talbots. :)

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good clean up crew. For a 120g, you will need more for the sand, but you can give it time. I also love my cucumbers. I got mine from Aquacorals.com. Four of them and still have at least three from years ago. Even after a few tank changes and moves and cleanouts. :) The sand ones, not anything fancy.

I hate hermits, but some really like them. They just like to kill each other too much.

If you like small colorful fish, azure damsels cannot be beat. They can be tank bred and have great color and swim around a lot. Need the hidey holes, but you can do with 2 or 3 of them. If you forgo the talbots. :)
I heard a lot of bad things about damsels and aggression lol. There isn’t mych caves and hiding spots in my caves so it probably won’t work. I kind of regret getting the 15 hermits
But I did request extra shells so hopefully that will stop them from killing the snails for them.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression can be an issue, but usually only among themselves when it comes to the talbots and azures. They stay small and love to hide. That is why I said only a couple. Looks like hiding is a premium. Maybe wait until you have corals grown in a bit.
I also have a pair of lemon damsels, but they are a bit more aggressive to all fish. Still small, so cause no harm, but bullies anyway.
I have a soft spot for the little damsels. Some of my favorite things to watch while snorkeling in Hawaii.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back