Fish Suggestions for a 20 gallon nano

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research towards the fish I want for our 32 gal biocube. I've narrowed it down to these 5 or 6:

- 2 clowns (orange and black)
- Starry Blenny (love the personality and look). Also would consider Lawnmower Blenny (very similar to the Starry) or Midas (I love the yellow color and eel like swimming motion. Live aqauria says it can nip at Firefish but I've had multiple seasoned people tell me theirs do not).
- Yellow Watchman/Orange Spotted/or High Finned Red Banded Goby. All of these can form a symbiotic relationship with a pistol shrimp. None are sand shifters, which for smaller tanks can be good as they may run out of food in limited sand.
- Purple Firefish
- Royal Gramma Basset or a McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (live aquaria says it needs a 55 gal tank but I've been told it can do fine in a smaller tank.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research towards the fish I want for our 32 gal biocube. I've narrowed it down to these 5 or 6:

- 2 clowns (orange and black)
- Starry Blenny (love the personality and look). Also would consider Lawnmower Blenny (very similar to the Starry) or Midas (I love the yellow color and eel like swimming motion. Live aqauria says it can nip at Firefish but I've had multiple seasoned people tell me theirs do not).
- Yellow Watchman/Orange Spotted/or High Finned Red Banded Goby. All of these can form a symbiotic relationship with a pistol shrimp. None are sand shifters, which for smaller tanks can be good as they may run out of food in limited sand.
- Purple Firefish
- Royal Gramma Basset or a McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (live aquaria says it needs a 55 gal tank but I've been told it can do fine in a smaller tank.
Thanks! I also had a planned list in the beginning but had to change a lot based on what my LFS had in store since my family wouldn't pay shipping prices

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I also had a planned list in the beginning but had to change a lot based on what my LFS had in store since my family wouldn't pay shipping prices

I completely understand. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve found 2 LFS’s that have said they will order anything I want and their prices are fair. It’s allowing me to get exactly what I want, which is nice.

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve found 2 LFS’s that have said they will order anything I want and their prices are fair. It’s allowing me to get exactly what I want, which is nice.
Same my lfs is really cool about getting me what i want. I also compromise too cause some fish i want are really hard to get rn lol i wanted a helfrichi firefish but my lfs lady talked me into the purple because its better priced and just as pretty. Love my lfs

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some suggestions:

1. An Assessor (Yellow, McNeill’s, Randall’s - rarest)

2. A Basslet (Royal Gramma, Swissguard, Swales, Blackcap gets a bit bigger)

3. A Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish (actually an Anthias)

4. A shrimp and goby pair, avoid the larger shrimp gobies like the Pink Spotted

5. A Bicolor or Tailspot Blenny

6. A Pink- Streak Wrasse

7. A Possum Wrasse

The basslets and assessors swim but aren’t good swimmers. I’d say they’re about as good as Clowns when it comes to swimming. For a bottom dwelling fish just choose either a shrimp and goby pair, a blenny, or the Geometric Pygmy Hawk.

The small wrasses are more active.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend a Pygmy angel. I have a 20 gallon peninsula and he’s a great swimming around fish. Here’s a pic of him with my scoly
EC23A636-494D-4D78-9994-AE43492A456C.jpeg
He’s got a perfect record with my coral (Scolies, gonis, sps, acan, zoas, you name it) Hes a great swimming around fish, very active and out all the time. Also easy to find and still cheap during covid, I paid $16 two months ago.

As for a kind of bottom dwelling or stationary fish, I love hawk fish and recently found a geometric hawk. My father has been in the hobby for a very long time (30+ years) and this is one of his favorite perching fish. Small enough to not bother your cuc or inverts (I currently keep mine with sexy shrimp, no issues). Very cool little fish and nice, bright colors. Also one of the cheapest hawk fish, I found mine during the pandemic and it was still only $26. However, they can be tricky to find, I had my LFS order me one. Here’s a stock picture for now off google, I’ll try to snap a picture of him today but he likes to perch in my GSP.
976F4B56-6D4A-4853-BBD4-74635285D7AB.jpeg
I really like your pygmy angel fish. I had heard they can be aggressive. Is that only towards their own kind, which they can have a fight to the death with? Or would they be aggressive towards other peaceful fish? I have a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, starry blenny, purple firefish and a McCocskers flasher wrasse. Will the angel fish get along with all of those fish?

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 2 and a half month old tank with a pair of clowns and a fire fish. The tank is a 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano. I want to add 2 more fish for 5 in total. I’m looking for a bottom dwelling fish and a swimming fish. For the bottom dwelling I tried 2 yellow watchmans and a yasha goby which all died. Now I’m looking into maybe a jawfish or a twin spot (two spot) goby which my LFS currently has one in their store. For the swimming one I wanted a pink streaked wrasse but can not find any in stock at all. Are there any other suggestions for my tank?

One should be a Royal Gramma. Perfect small reef citizen & gorgeous!

8CDCF194-D5CE-4FEE-AFFE-2CF867423D67.jpeg

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starry blenny. I just wish he didnt like to knock coral frags off ledges. Learned what glue is strongest

We have a starry blenny and love ours too. We've noticed the same trend with him knocking off corals. What glue do you use for your corals?

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your pygmy angel fish. I had heard they can be aggressive. Is that only towards their own kind, which they can have a fight to the death with? Or would they be aggressive towards other peaceful fish? I have a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, starry blenny, purple firefish and a McCocskers flasher wrasse. Will the angel fish get along with all of those fish?
Not the person you are quoting but I got a cherub pygmy angel fish like a week ago, not sure if they are aggressive to their own kind but mine seems extremely peaceful. Its really friendly with my fire fish and clownfish. My current stocking is a pair of clowns, fire fish, twin spot goby, and now the pygmy angel

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only to other dwarf angels. Mine sleeps With my clowns at night, have had several in the past and they were all model citizens. Make sure he’s fed plenty and he should just pick a little on the algae/sponges on your rocks :)

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the person you are quoting but I got a cherub pygmy angel fish like a week ago, not sure if they are aggressive to their own kind but mine seems extremely peaceful. Its really friendly with my fire fish and clownfish. My current stocking is a pair of clowns, fire fish, twin spot goby, and now the pygmy angel

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking to add one more fish and I think this is likely my favorite option right now. Are they more of a swimmer or hider or sort of some of both?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking to add one more fish and I think this is likely my favorite option right now. Are they more of a swimmer or hider or sort of some of both?
Mine is out and about all the time. Always the first one I see when I walk up to the tank. Super cool to see him wiggling through the rocks. He photobombs my frag pics.
39B7B025-2253-4E09-B187-84F62165FF23.jpeg
A2568BFA-1765-46A5-BAFF-0BE7A536E3FB.jpeg
14D093EA-0E2D-4261-853C-BDE11D8B4BA2.jpeg

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned only had it for a week but I would say both. At first it was really shy and would hide in the rock work but now it’s getting used to me so it swims openly but around the lower section of the tank. It picks on rocks as well for algae and I see mine doing that was well

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 Waterbox Cube and I have a few of the fish on your list in my tank.
I have a pair of Yasha Gobies with a Randall’s Pistol Shrimp
2 Assessors (Yellow & Randall’s)
Pink Streaked Wrasse
4 Red Neon Eviota Gobies
I highly recommend looking at the Eviota gobies.....love love love them!! They are super fun and entertaining to watch. The perch and hide in my corals. They are super easy to care for, aren’t picky about food as long as it’s small enough. I’ve enclosed a few pics of them. They are tiny with a very low bioload, and a small group of them could be added without any issues.

AF52AD78-E1E5-4DB2-919B-BC4869CB3C6B.jpeg FBC7413A-40E0-4384-AD24-2E29F66E892D.jpeg 6711C1F2-95A8-4B9C-B77D-ECFEA1164632.jpeg E267E586-F11B-4D69-B7E0-B64A84713277.jpeg

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should maybe think about getting a Ruby Red Dragonet, they don't grow as big as the other Dragonetts. I got one recently, about 3 months into setting up my tank, I've had it for about a month, and it's doing amazing! Just put some pods to start off with, and put garlic on frozen food to convert it over. They are amazing, just the way they move and roam the tank is enough, and on top of that the Ruby Red one is very pretty. But do whatever you want, don't be too influenced by others.

I have had a Yellow Watchman and Pistol Shrimp for almost 2 months, and they look good, the relationship is so amazing to watch. Although, sadly the pistol shrimp recently lost his front large pistol claws. I think a molting issue. I've heard iodine helps with the molts (hopefully they'll grow back soon). But its so cool because the Goby has been being extra protective of the shrimp lately which is so amazing. I have a lawnmower blenny, and they aren't the most vibrant fish, but they do have personality, and graze a lot, and are pretty cool. Starry Blenny's are also very pretty, I would get one of those, or possibly a Bicolor.
I hope your stocking goes well! :)

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should maybe think about getting a Ruby Red Dragonet, they don't grow as big as the other Dragonetts. I got one recently, about 3 months into setting up my tank, I've had it for about a month, and it's doing amazing! Just put some pods to start off with, and put garlic on frozen food to convert it over. They are amazing, just the way they move and roam the tank is enough, and on top of that the Ruby Red one is very pretty. But do whatever you want, don't be too influenced by others.

I have had a Yellow Watchman and Pistol Shrimp for almost 2 months, and they look good, the relationship is so amazing to watch. Although, sadly the pistol shrimp recently lost his front large pistol claws. I think a molting issue. I've heard iodine helps with the molts (hopefully they'll grow back soon). But its so cool because the Goby has been being extra protective of the shrimp lately which is so amazing. I have a lawnmower blenny, and they aren't the most vibrant fish, but they do have personality, and graze a lot, and are pretty cool. Starry Blenny's are also very pretty, I would get one of those, or possibly a Bicolor.
I hope your stocking goes well! :)
Thanks! I was heavily considering a Ruby Red Dragonent, but decided adding pods constantly to my tank would be too much money. Yeah I would have gone with a watchman pistol shrimp pair if I didn't get my two spot goby. My two spot is doing okay, but is really skinny and hasn't opened up to frozen yet. Blenny were also a consideration of mine but my LFS only has the bicolor in stock most of the time and that would cause problems with my fire goby. My stock list right now is a pair of clowns, fire goby, two spot goby, and a cherub angelfish. I consider myself fully stocked but if my two spot does sadly pass away I would do a watchman pistol pair

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sounds like a good stock list! I really like the Two Spot Goby and still want one but I don't want my dragonet and goby competing for food, and yeah I hope he does well, and eats. I've recently put garlic additive on mysis shrimp to get my dragonet to eat it, and i'm pretty sure he has, its sort of difficult to tell. But yeah, Pods are expensive! It's crazy! I put about half the pods at first, and periodically put in more, but yeah they are way more expensive than I thought they'd be. Hope the Goby does well! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back