Fish Tank Cracked!!

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a second hand 105 gallon rimless glass reef tank recently and when testing it with water, I found out that the 4 foot bottom panel has a scratch through the whole thing. My floors are currently flooded and I’m not quite sure what to do. I’ve seen videos on YouTube where they patch the Crack with a sheet of glass. My tank has been drilled and the crack is near the drilled holes. What do you guys recommend to repair the bottom panel of my fish tank permanently? Some people say to just replace the panel but I’d rather do whatever I can to patch and support the glass instead. Thanks - Rob

C9B1C781-7675-4FDD-B48D-B83A00A58D77.jpeg 6E1DEEDF-1C97-4D54-BB5A-1776A8EA9999.jpeg

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a second hand 105 gallon rimless glass reef tank recently and when testing it with water, I found out that the 4 foot bottom panel has a scratch through the whole thing. My floors are currently flooded and I’m not quite sure what to do. I’ve seen videos on YouTube where they patch the Crack with a sheet of glass. My tank has been drilled and the crack is near the drilled holes. What do you guys recommend to repair the bottom panel of my fish tank permanently? Some people say to just replace the panel but I’d rather do whatever I can to patch and support the glass instead. Thanks - Rob

C9B1C781-7675-4FDD-B48D-B83A00A58D77.jpeg 6E1DEEDF-1C97-4D54-BB5A-1776A8EA9999.jpeg
I'd personally replace the panel, I know what you mean, but you are asking for future problems by doing a patch instead of a replacement of the panel. Save some money now to pay more later possibly.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1st where are you located? second fb offer up let go craigslist ,new tank ,unless prof repaired i would not rest @Joe Glass Cages what would be repair rough est?? btw sorry to hear

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t patch a fish tank, you throw it away and get another one. Even replacing the whole panel wouldn’t be cost effective at all. Used tanks are cheap to find. Do a better inspection before buying.

I bet those bulkheads were tightened to tight which in turn cracked the bottom.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
location i know a lot of reefers

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there isn't anyway to "patch" this.

I agree with @sharpimage. The tank itself, isn't the place to cut corners on cost. That can be done virtually everywhere else, but the tank must be 100% structurally sound.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st where are you located? second fb offer up let go craigslist ,new tank ,unless prof repaired i would not rest @Joe Glass Cages what would be repair rough est?? btw sorry to hear

well I’m located in Cleveland, Ohio. It would be very unfortunate to have to scrap the tank completely. I’ve got to say, that is probably my dream tank. in my head I thought I would flex seal the crack and silicon another Thinner glass Sheet on the inside of the aquarium. I’d do the same thing on the out side of the Tank and then finally rest the whole tank on a sheet of foam board before finally sticking it on the stand. It would be tons of work but most of the products I already have. Does anyone think that’ll work?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry absolutly not,i'm sorry ,lets see if joe has any thing laying around

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I’m located in Cleveland, Ohio. It would be very unfortunate to have to scrap the tank completely. I’ve got to say, that is probably my dream tank. in my head I thought I would flex seal the crack and silicon another Thinner glass Sheet on the inside of the aquarium. I’d do the same thing on the out side of the Tank and then finally rest the whole tank on a sheet of foam board before finally sticking it on the stand. It would be tons of work but most of the products I already have. Does anyone think that’ll work?

No, unfortunately.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i know of a place in elkhorn IN,never dealt with ,craigslist south bend under saltwater fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not worth piecing together. Sell it as a reptile tank. Time for a new one unfortunately

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch, @Robert_Popa_918. sorry you are going though this. Hard to give direction without touching the tank direct. I echo the fears of repairing such a large panel. Agree with the about statement that you may be able to find another used tank for less cost than repairing your current one. You may be able to repair it for today, but how long will it last. so hard. If you wanna talk about it, give me a call. Trying to help. I will help out as much as I can even if you decide to purchase another used tank.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch, @Robert_Popa_918. sorry you are going though this. Hard to give direction without touching the tank direct. I echo the fears of repairing such a large panel. Agree with the about statement that you may be able to find another used tank for less cost than repairing your current one. You may be able to repair it for today, but how long will it last. so hard. If you wanna talk about it, give me a call. Trying to help. I will help out as much as I can even if you decide to purchase another used tank.
Wow, thats awesome. I think a Glass cages tank may be in my future!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a hole/bulkhead problem - torqued down too tightly, the stub got whacked during the move or there was a small crack from when drilled that has travelled. I suppose you could remove the overflow and bulkheads and put a full size new panel on top, but there's no guarantee that would work. Not really worth the time, or the risk, for a tank that size.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much for the advice! After taking everybody’s thought into consideration, I’ve come up with a decision. I’ve already fell in love with this tank and I can’t let myself get rid of it even if I lose money in the long run. I’m gonna just purchase another 4 ft x 2 ft sheet of glass to replace the bottom panel. I’ve had some experience taking apart tanks so this shouldn’t be a problem. Does anyone recommend places to get quality glass?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm sorry to hear that ,hope you sleep on it ,buy a new rr 120,best wishes

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back