Fish Tank Granuloma

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I posted in the disease section but figured I would post here. This is really eye opening and think its something everyone should be aware of. About 6 weeks ago I scraped my hand in my reef tank. Didnt think anything of it. 2 weeks later I developed a large red infection and have been preliminary diagnosed with Mycobacterium Marinum aka fish tank granuloma. Final confirmation is pending biopsy and culture results which can take up to 3 weeks. Even if it is not Mycobacterium Marinum it is definitly fish tank related. On a side note all of my fish are healthy which means this bacteria can be present without infecting other fish. Chatting with Mr. Fenner this morning he said it is very likely Omnipresent in a majority of aquariums, etc. I hope the takeaway from this is that everyone should practice safe reefing techniques. Wear full length gloves and never work on tanks when you have open wounds. If you get any type of infection after cleaning a fish tank go the doctor asap. Never make assumptions. Thankfully whatever it is was caught early and didnt have a chance to spread up my arm.

15572406653725797239906557977101.jpg

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that info...many of us reefers really dont understand the danger part of reefing. Always Safety First.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 139 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 208 49.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 68 16.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors