Fish territory question

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Midas blenny and a royal gramma in my tank. Midas is the king of the tank. He was added second. Over the past week or two, he’s been stealing the royal grammas territory temporarily to Perch on and then swims out. The royal gramma used to open his mouth and kick him out but he’s kinda given up. He doesn’t sleep there and they both sleep in their territories. Is this a problem to be concerned about or is this a normal behavior?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot has a cheap $7 mirror if you look hard enough.....

duct tape FLAT against the aquarium glass

Fish will then be thoroughly infatuated with their own image thinking it's a 2nd identical fish

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot has a cheap $7 mirror if you look hard enough.....

duct tape FLAT against the aquarium glass

Fish will then be thoroughly infatuated with their own image thinking it's a 2nd identical fish

I have heard of this several times but I never really knew the point of this. Do you think this would help this issue

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are generally peaceful fish so I don't think it's a problem as long as they aren't actually hurting each other or stressing each other out. A little bit of posturing shouldn't be a problem. If it becomes an issue, the mirror idea is interesting and may be worth a shot and/or you can try switching up your aquascape a bit to get rid of any established territories and give them a fresh start. Both are really beautiful fish and hopefully will work things out. Good luck!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are generally peaceful fish so I don't think it's a problem as long as they aren't actually hurting each other or stressing each other out. A little bit of posturing shouldn't be a problem. If it becomes an issue, the mirror idea is interesting and may be worth a shot and/or you can try switching up your aquascape a bit to get rid of any established territories and give them a fresh start. Both are really beautiful fish and hopefully will work things out. Good luck!
The only bad thing that has happened was the Midas may have nipped a corner of the grammas tail fin but I assume that was just them trying to establish who is on top. Nothing bad has happened since. Just typical chasing around when they get too close to their territories. No heavy breathing or signs of stress from any of them. And Aquascape is glued. I have a breeders net if necessary. They mostly mind their own all day.

Last edited:
Back