Fish that stay in water column

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been asked before but couldn't find it in the search.

What are some fish (reef safe) that stay mainly in the water column (only want 2-3 fish total). Currently all the fish in my tank stay around the rock work other than the grazers and 2 chromis. I was thinking about Zebra Dartfish or maybe cardinals, something that stays mid to high in the tank and will draw others out and not aggressive. Thinking about a few female Lyretail anthias but color pattern would be close to Midas blenny and unsure if that would bring out aggression due to color and tail shape. All current fish are small, 1-2 years old, the largest being my Dussumieri Tang (approx 5") but want to avoid getting any fish that will result in overcrowding. Eventually tangs will most likely be re-homed once they get larger. Tank is 280 gallon 30x30x72. (1/2" deep sand bed strictly for additional copepods.).

Current stock:
Talbot damsel x2
Dussumieri tang x1
Desjardini Tang x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Blue throat trigger (f) 1
Blue chromis x2
Copperband butterfly x1
Clownfish x1
Pyramid butterfly x1
Lyretail anthia (M) x1
Midas Blenny x1
Mandarin Goby x2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pajama cardinals and dartfish (jumpers)

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been asked before but couldn't find it in the search.

What are some fish (reef safe) that stay mainly in the water column (only want 2-3 fish total). Currently all the fish in my tank stay around the rock work other than the grazers and 2 chromis. I was thinking about Zebra Dartfish or maybe cardinals, something that stays mid to high in the tank and will draw others out and not aggressive. Thinking about a few female Lyretail anthias but color pattern would be close to Midas blenny and unsure if that would bring out aggression due to color and tail shape. All current fish are small, 1-2 years old, the largest being my Dussumieri Tang (approx 5") but want to avoid getting any fish that will result in overcrowding. Eventually tangs will most likely be re-homed once they get larger. Tank is 280 gallon 30x30x72. (1/2" deep sand bed strictly for additional copepods.).

Current stock:
Talbot damsel x2
Dussumieri tang x1
Desjardini Tang x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Blue throat trigger (f) 1
Blue chromis x2
Copperband butterfly x1
Clownfish x1
Pyramid butterfly x1
Lyretail anthia (M) x1
Midas Blenny x1
Mandarin Goby x2
Honestly, any fish that is in the water column may be an issue for losing swim space and overcrowding. Your fish are small now but you have a lot that get big and will want room to swim as they age.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasse and fairy wrasse
Fairy Wrasses. An exquisite would be a good option. Red velvet also. Many options.
I disagree with these, these wrasses will generally wither away due to the hyperactivity in the system. Flashers are definitely going to wither with that many tangs, the damsels and the Trigger.

The Fairies that may work are;
- Finifenmaa
- Melanomarginatus
- Naokoae
- Aurantidorsalis
- Cyanogularis
- Rubripinnis

But there’s the downside that all of those can be quite boisterous towards other wrasses as they age.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple orange purple eye Anthais in a group of 5
This a one of the females turned male…took about 4 months.
IMG_1668.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyretails are mimicked by Midas blennies. They swim together often in the wild, they should be fine. you can occasionally get a rogue Midas, but the odds are in your favour.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's what I'll do is a 2 or 3 female anthias again as they should get along. I was concenerned they wouldn't get along with the Midas blenny since I purchased him later. Additionally @i cant think do you think a Solon Fairy wrasse would be ok in the tank (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)? I am not to concerned about overcrowding later as I know my Dussumeiri and Desjardini tangs can both get over a foot and will be re-homed or donated. I think I should be able to keep them another 2-3 years before I'll do that. The female blue throat is going to a friend who has a male attempting to pair them.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back