Fish Trap....'n

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been my view for the past couple of days skip a day. Not bad but not the same as fishin. I've literally caught every fish in the tank except for the one I want..of course. Stinkin arc eye. Didnt invert the lid either because I wanted them to be able to come and go somewhat freely. Figured it could help my chances not having to get in there all the time to release unwanted fish.

Attachments

• 20131102_194435.jpg
    20131102_194435.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 20131102_194458.jpg
    20131102_194458.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 20131102_194505.jpg
    20131102_194505.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 277

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same prob with my peppermint shrimp!!!! ive caught my 2 cleaners my blood shrimp, a starfish but not that demon.
im about to squirt some concentrated alk in his face and be done with it!

anyways
i would put that inverted lid back on and maybe add something only the hawkeye would eat like a peppermint shrimp (mine preferably if i can catch it) but seriously though give it a shot!

shawn_r_g86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same problem but with a scopus tang. is there a good way to catch the fish that you want? i have tried hiding the bottle and everything?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have found that a small mirror rather than bait works best for most fish, especially territorial species. By placing at back of a trap or outside of tank in a corner accessible only by swimming around or nearly into net. Form a large [_) ) = net, _ = mirror on outside of glass, [ = aquarium side. Start out with just the mirror til you get its attention.

Cheers, Todd

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with a conventional bottle trap…with one slight modification. I cut a hole in the middle of the bottle and insert a turkey baster with some tasty food (typically mysis shrimp). I squirt that into the bottle. Keeping the baster in that hole, every so often I’ll re-squirt water back into the bottle. This creates a snow globe effect with the food. The fish sees this and swims right in. I’d say on average, within five minutes I have the fish. I’ll keep a small net close to the opening to scare away unwanted fish.

IMG_4231.jpg

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best trap yet for me is a DIY critter cage XL, food, turkey baster. Caught everything in it within days, sometimes minutes. Take a critter cage, drill tons of holes throughout it, find 2 suction cups (or use a cleaner magnet). Drop in the DT, secure to the best place (for me it's my front), open the clear lid, squirt food via a Turkey baster (mysis for me, just enough to get their attention), close the lid, pull critter cage out (no water, just fish via the drilled holes).
8yrereha.jpg
uha4ezaz.jpg

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method seems to be working fine as every fish except 1 or 2 has played around in the feeding container. Not sure if it is the best method for catching this hawk fish but he seems to get closer and closer. Might just bust out a mini hook and put on a piece of krill and catch him that way while feeding the container as a distraction-that would prolly work I just dont want to have to unhook him in the end-that would be weird right.lol
I am wondering tho if anyone knows-if you are supposed to remove the trap inbetween feedings? You would think not just to get everyone used to the new object but does anyone know??

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Droped the ball here. I caught the lil sucker. Took me 3 weeks. Its funny because I looked away for a second and when I looked back it was like a tornado in the trap with food flying everywhere and when I looked closer it was him - sure enough all by himself. So I pulled on the line real quick and wouldn't ya guess it the line broke. So I scrambled up to the tank and practically jumped in to quickly cover the trap entrance.
I was home alone also and now stuck with both hands in the tank on the trap and not enough room with my lights on to get it out - lets just say it wasn't easy.lol

Attachments

• 20131116_104524.jpg
    20131116_104524.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 235

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine betta and 3 stripe damsel I cannot get out to save my life..ive caught everything else besides them. they are the only two left in the tank right now...driving me nuts

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back