Fish trap needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatmike92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,888
Reaction score
4,487
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 4” Picasso trigger I need to catch.

I thought it would be easy because he is all the way at the top when I feed but he has gotten very wise

any suggestions on fish traps? Either online or DIY
 
Tank matez sells some awesome ones. I have their basic model and I just attach it to the glass, add food, tie a string around the outside magnet and sit across the room and wait for the target to enter the trap!
 
Have you tried after the lights are off?
 
Have you tried after the lights are off?
No I haven’t tried that yet.

he is usually tucked in the rocks with lights off

I’ll try tomorrow when I feed in the morning
 
Tank matez sells some awesome ones. I have their basic model and I just attach it to the glass, add food, tie a string around the outside magnet and sit across the room and wait for the target to enter the trap!
That’s probably what I need to do.

mill check it out
 
1642121534540.png


I built a trap like the above using a 2L bottle when I was trying to remove my diamond gobies. I was able to catch them within an hour with this method. I think your fish is a bit bigger and not sure if it would fit... but just to give you an idea if you find a bottle large enough. You put bait on the inside.
 
The kind I use and it catches fish every time

trap3.jpg
 
1642121534540.png


I built a trap like the above using a 2L bottle when I was trying to remove my diamond gobies. I was able to catch them within an hour with this method. I think your fish is a bit bigger and not sure if it would fit... but just to give you an idea if you find a bottle large enough. You put bait on the inside.
Made a trap like yours. The fish entered but quickly exited out when I tried to grab the bottle. Wondering if he will go back in again.
 
Made a trap like yours. The fish entered but quickly exited out when I tried to grab the bottle. Wondering if he will go back in again.
was it a small fish and did you bait the trap? I trapped a pair of diamond gobies and they got stuck. Maybe you could try with a bottle with a smaller neck opening?
 
was it a small fish and did you bait the trap? I trapped a pair of diamond gobies and they got stuck. Maybe you could try with a bottle with a smaller neck opening?
Yeah it has bait in it. The smaller neck opening is a great idea. Will also try a bottle that is longer. The bottle that I am usinig is a 16 ounce. The escape opening is to obvious. thanks
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new