Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is infact a species of coris wrasse, not a tamarin wrasse which are from my experience a lot more delicate than that lol. Sorry he turned out to be such a messer, do you still have him?
We have this coris wrasse in our reef. Is a beautiful fish, sleeps in the sand and swims all over. Has not gone after any other fish but has killed all our snails, shrimp, and crabs in 300gal tank! We also had a lime green wrasse that grew very quickly and ate four other wrasses including flame wrasse pair! We moved this one to our predator tank! The coris is still on our reef.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also never get another Caribbean blue. It is a holy terror to all fish, including much larger Sohal, angels and larger triggers. Killed tangs too. It gets chewed up by the Sohal and trigger and continues to go back and terrorizes. My Sohal is a model citizen that only depends itself and the smaller angels from the Caribbean blue. And blue won’t die! Would not recommend. We have it in a 300gal 8’ tank! With large angels, puffers, triggers, Fox face, and Sohal and the awful lime green wrasse!

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also never get another Caribbean blue. It is a holy terror to all fish, including much larger Sohal, angels and larger triggers. Killed tangs too. It gets chewed up by the Sohal and trigger and continues to go back and terrorizes. My Sohal is a model citizen that only depends itself and the smaller angels from the Caribbean blue. And blue won’t die! Would not recommend. We have it in a 300gal 8’ tank! With large angels, puffers, triggers, Fox face, and Sohal and the awful lime green wrasse!
Wow never knew that a tang would do that!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow never knew that a tang would do that!
The Caribbean blue corners the trigger all day long! The only fish it stays away from is the Sohal because it’s been slashed so many times. The bigger the blue gets the worse. It no longer has scalpels they broke off fighting with the trigger and the trigger does fight back sometimes. This is the third tank I’ve had this fish in. We got the Caribbean when it was less than a quarter in size. And now in the 300g tank keeps growing!

5A474FFB-158E-4014-B8CA-DB88A77EEE24.jpeg A0A4A342-9679-438E-A0FC-090709930176.jpeg

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whitetail Bristletooth tang. Tang was fine for about 2 years. Then it went from peaceful to vicious overnight. This was in a large, understocked tank. I work from home so I really got to observe tank. It tried to attack all fish in the tank except the 2 other larger tangs.
It was because of Reef Squad members that it did not injury any fish. I noticed my Midas blenny starting hiding. Reef Squad advised me to watch hidden at distance for bullying. Often fish don’t bully if we are in their line of sight. They see us & think “FOOD” and stop everything else.
Sure enough the Whitetail was harrassing Midas. On squad’s advice I quickly got a fish trap just in case. Literally the day I got the trap ,the Whitetail went from harassing Midas to trying to attack all other fish.
Rehomed fish at once.
I do know a few hobbyist that have adult Whitetails that are peaceful. But I see lots of posts where at a certain point in maturity their Whitetails turned aggressive. Beautiful fish but not for me.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whitetail Bristletooth tang. Tang was fine for about 2 years. Then it went from peaceful to vicious overnight. This was in a large, understocked tank. I work from home so I really got to observe tank. It tried to attack all fish in the tank except the 2 other larger tangs.
It was because of Reef Squad members that it did not injury any fish. I noticed my Midas blenny starting hiding. Reef Squad advised me to watch hidden at distance for bullying. Often fish don’t bully if we are in their line of sight. They see us & think “FOOD” and stop everything else.
Sure enough the Whitetail was harrassing Midas. On squad’s advice I quickly got a fish trap just in case. Literally the day I got the trap ,the Whitetail went from harassing Midas to trying to attack all other fish.
Rehomed fish at once.
I do know a few hobbyist that have adult Whitetails that are peaceful. But I see lots of posts where at a certain point in maturity their Whitetails turned aggressive. Beautiful fish but not for me.
Wow never to knew that... I plan on getting this fish for a 180.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow never to knew that... I plan on getting this fish for a 180.
You might be fine. A friend of mine has a very large one that is docile. If you do attempt one just plan ahead. From other posts , it seems ones that turn aggressive with maturity escalate quickly. They don’t display many warning signs of chasing etc. at first. Just suddenly fish are hiding and next you see full on attack.

It was in a 300 gal tank with a Blonde Naso, large Zebrasoma, anthias, hawkfish, 2 pygmy angels, Midas, cardinals and wrasse. Other 2 tangs were chill. When I rehomed it I suggested it be placed aggressive tank where the other fish could keep it in line.
I would say that it is one of those fish that you have to be ready for that possibility.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two fish I would probably never reacquire. Golden head sleeper goby and clown trigger. Sleeper goby did great for 1.5 years, but the constantly covering coral with sand became a major issue. Clown trigger nips at certain corals and eats more food then the rest of the tank combined.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two fish I would probably never reacquire. Golden head sleeper goby and clown trigger. Sleeper goby did great for 1.5 years, but the constantly covering coral with sand became a major issue. Clown trigger nips at certain corals and eats more food then the rest of the tank combined.
Do you still have them?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have them?

Clown trigger I still have, going on 3 years, full adult coloration with pink highlights on fins. Golden head sleeper goby passed away one day. He was very fat and happy, ate everything, but I received him as an adult and he thrived for close to 2 years in my system. I don't believe they have lengthily life expectancies.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish, I first got a pair years ago in my fo days and to this day I still cannot see a point to them, I had them in a 10ft tank (just to please the mrs) and may aswell had them in a 1ft tank, al they did for years was stay in the corner or very nearby, in the years I had them I don't think they even saw the other side of the tank.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish, I first got a pair years ago in my fo days and to this day I still cannot see a point to them, I had them in a 10ft tank (just to please the mrs) and may aswell had them in a 1ft tank, al they did for years was stay in the corner or very nearby, in the years I had them I don't think they even saw the other side of the tank.
What kind did you get? If you do ever get another pair go for Maroons.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind did you get? If you do ever get another pair go for Maroons.
To be honest mate it was such a long time ago I cant remember, it was only to please the mrs as she liked the way they swam, they didn't have a name, just clown fish, so I presume it was just common clowns, ive never liked clowns of any sort so wont be getting again, whatever the breed.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger I still have, going on 3 years, full adult coloration with pink highlights on fins. Golden head sleeper goby passed away one day. He was very fat and happy, ate everything, but I received him as an adult and he thrived for close to 2 years in my system. I don't believe they have lengthily life expectancies.
Cool, sorry for your loss. Is your trigger agressive

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never been able to keep pairs, one always dies for some reason.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They was the only ones I ever had, if I remember I had them for about 7-8 years then one just died, don't know why and the other one died 3 days later.
I could be really romantic and say the second one died of a broken heart after losing his partner after been together for so long but I don't think clown fish have a heart, nasty little buggers.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back