Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, sorry for your loss. Is your trigger agressive

With triggers having realistic expectations is key. He is aggressive, no where as bad as most people describe. He does fine with small fish, but gets into altercations with bigger fish. He nips at sps, and eats most inverts. Overall not bad for a softy tank or LPS. He has killed a few LPS by trying to take food from them and causing terminal damage. Mine is VERY well fed, but due to his nature aggression is to be expected.

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Maroon Clown. Never again, meanest fish I’ve ever had. Bothered everyone in the tank, harassed a beautiful rose bulb anemone to death (wouldn’t even let it attach) and would bite me every time I put my hand in the tank. Difficult to catch, but finally got it out with the lights off when it was asleep.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School of chromis

I like schooling fish (have 5 yellow tangs, 13 lyretail anthias, and 5 bartletts). I initially tried 5 chromis because I think their color is pretty cool. Both times I tried a school, I eventually ended up with only one surviving...as they seemed to kill each other off "Highlander"-style.

"There can only be one!"

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not a fish but years ago with my first tank I ordered a macro algae and for some reason they sent me a sea slug. He was by far the coolest thing I had ever seen but supplying him enough food after all the algae was gone was a nightmare. And he only lasted about 8 months, fell completely apart and made the tank a big mess.

IMG_0081_zps34618206.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bicolor pseudochromis (dottyback). Although small and beautiful, it has been the biggest bully in my tank. And I've tried it twice thinking the first one was just bad luck. Never again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
School of chromis

I like schooling fish (have 5 yellow tangs, 13 lyretail anthias, and 5 bartletts). I initially tried 5 chromis because I think their color is pretty cool. Both times I tried a school, I eventually ended up with only one surviving...as they seemed to kill each other off "Highlander"-style.

"There can only be one!"
Nice Mix !!!

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few "never agains" for me: any damsel, 6-line wrasses (there are so many better behaved wrasses out there), and flame angels. The whole lot of them are just buttheads who think they run the show.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lubocki fairy wrasse.

Mine was not all that attractive after went terminal. And could be Very agressive to new tank mates. Theres just nicer fairy wrasses.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two clowns currently, so I don't have much input. I do wonder why so many people are saying they wouldn't want another clown.
You posted this months ago, so I'm sure you have received your answer. I've had many clowns and never really had a problem. I've had those that were territorial and really didn't like it if other fish hovered in their corner or space for too long. My current female blackish ice clown doesn't like newcomers but she backs off within a day or two after she makes it clear that she considers herself the queen. She always nips at my hands (especially my rings) when I have my hands in the tank for what she considers too long. But she isn't a problem otherwise. I did have a maroon clown years ago that was fantastic, but would be downright vicious if anyone swam too close to his anemone.

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Undulate Triggerfish once and never again. Not only was it aggressive at all fish including other triggers it was also so shy around people that it never came out. When I worked in stores we used to have ppl bring them in and every time the story was the same. Aggressive fish that injured or killed other fish but hides all the time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else ?

Sure .....

1. Sohal tang - psychotic once over 7-8 inches
2. Three stripe or domino damsels - pure evil
3. Mandarin - just too much work to keep fed
4. Green chromis - uronema

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure .....

1. Sohal tang - psychotic once over 7-8 inches
2. Three stripe or domino damsels - pure evil
3. Mandarin - just too much work to keep fed
4. Green chromis - uronema
Sohal tangs scare me lol, i once saw a video where a giant one tried to attack a guy in the wild

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawkfish. In my early days i made somr stereotypical mistakes and putting this serial killer in my tank was one of them. I never could catch him until the day i took that tank down. I wish i had the patience i have today back then.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back