Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every damsel that I’ve ever owned. The only one I that I may try is the Starcki. I’ve never owned one, but from what I’ve read, that’s the most “tame” of the bunch. Every single other one has been hellish.

Firefish- they get relentlessly picked on by anything in the tank.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Candy Cane Hogfish.

Decided my Red Line Wrasse was a Target after a week and beat it pretty badly until I was able to trap it. Removed the Hogfish but the Wrasse couldn’t recover from the damage...

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say I will never have one in my tank again, but I had A damsel that decided to basically live in a shell in my 55 and he was fine til EVERYTHING and anyone (hand/arm) came within 3 inches in diameter of his "shell house" and he'd ram you like a friggin fish bully. Until my other fish got bigger he was a butt...then something must have changed 'cause he left everything else pretty much alone except my appendages. Wouldn't give up his shell though..jerk fish.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every damsel that I’ve ever owned. The only one I that I may try is the Starcki. I’ve never owned one, but from what I’ve read, that’s the most “tame” of the bunch. Every single other one has been hellish.

Starckis are definitely more mellow than you typical humbug damsel, but i wouldnt say the tamest of the bunch, they are assertive but never do any damage, but i would recommend them still as they are so beautiful and no damage is ever done, if you want a really peaceful damsel the springers are from my experience the tamest

Theres mine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Candy Cane Hogfish.

Decided my Red Line Wrasse was a Target after a week and beat it pretty badly until I was able to trap it. Removed the Hogfish but the Wrasse couldn’t recover from the damage...
Hogfish look so pretty put im put off from all these horror stories of them, did you get rid of the hogfish

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say I will never have one in my tank again, but I had A damsel that decided to basically live in a shell in my 55 and he was fine til EVERYTHING and anyone (hand/arm) came within 3 inches in diameter of his "shell house" and he'd ram you like a friggin fish bully. Until my other fish got bigger he was a butt...then something must have changed 'cause he left everything else pretty much alone except my appendages. Wouldn't give up his shell though..jerk fish.
Sounds like a homewrecker damsel lol, good luck with your next damsel if yiu get one

sandra smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just wondering if anyone has any they'd like to share, as i have a trio of lyretails and while they aren't hell raisers they are just quite annoying as such in that they think they are the boss and would prefer a different species if i had to chose, but wouldnt give them up as i dont have a good enough reason to and have grown quite attached to them especially the male lol

KMNewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call I was going to buy a Red Headed Salon Wrasse. Thanks for the close call

Depends on the individual fish, imo. Mine's more interested in food but he did chase my mystery wrasse for only a day after introducing him to the tank but otherwise, he's great. He's the boss of the tank and somehow I've managed to put together a great group of "aggressive" fish. (Naoko Fairy, Solon Fairy, Candy Hogfish, 5-Bar Mystery, Orchid Dottyback, Blue-Eyed Tang, Clown)

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eel. Was great at keeping detritus clear from under the rocks. That means there was always a sand storm and the rock work was constantly being destabilized. It also required special feeding compared to the rest of the fishes.
I’d put one in a Fowler/ predictor tank though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed on both, but especially on the Firefish. I swear my Purple Firefish had one of those "Kick Me" signs on it's tailfins. It was the number 1 bully magnet I have ever owned.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back