Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once bought a cute little remora about an inch long. In a few months it grew to 2' long and I gave it to the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn where he terrorized their sharks. :rolleyes:

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeper Gold Head Goby - He would get a mouthfull of sand and take it up high and sift it over the corals and rock work
Black Combtooth Blenny (Tribal Blenny) - Coral nipper

Greneis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue-spotted jawfish for me! Absolutely beautiful fish but even with a covered tank I could not keep it in the tank. I rescued that fish more times than I can count!
He is one of the reasons I set up my tank again. I had one for a few years and loved him to death. When we relocated across the state, I sold my tank. I put up another one about a year and a half ago and finally added my blue spot about a month ago.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is one of the reasons I set up my tank again. I had one for a few years and loved him to death. When we relocated across the state, I sold my tank. I put up another one about a year and a half ago and finally added my blue spot about a month ago.
The prices on them seemed to really have shot up. I remember them being about 75$ I see them on LA for 300 now. Crazy. Beautiful fish. But for a guaranteed jumper that's alot of money to have carpet surfed. Lol

Greneis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices on them seemed to really have shot up. I remember them being about 75$ I see them on LA for 300 now. Crazy. Beautiful fish. But for a guaranteed jumper that's alot of money to have carpet surfed. Lol
We picked him up for $169. I think our first one was only like $70, but that was like 10 years ago. We recently went to Florida and brought back a ton of little shells for him to build his fort with. He is so much fun!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We picked him up for $169. I think our first one was only like $70, but that was like 10 years ago. We recently went to Florida and brought back a ton of little shells for him to build his fort with. He is so much fun!
Haha I guess I'm dating myself. (I'm only 38, but I've been in the hobby since the 90s) last time I had one I guess was close to 8-9 years ago. Awesome fish, but I could never see myself paying LA prices Haha. 169 I might take a shot again.... maybe.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these descriptions are so funny!

I can’t say I’ve had any that I’d never ever get again.

One that will surprise everyone is my Moorish Idol. Eats like a pig. 2 year old. However...he does pick at coral. Especially coral that is struggling. He thinks it’s his mission in life to finish them off.

Never had a problem with my flame angel. The Purple Tang can be a bully. The yellow tang was super aggressive to my Copperband Butterfly on day one. I told it he’d better behave because he will find himself up for adoption! He behaved after that :)

My Mystery Wrasse is a sweety but I’m not going to tempt fate by getting another wrasse.

I love my Anthias!!! Would never have a tank without them.

Also, love my Powder Brown Tang. Just swims around doing fish tank acrobatics all day.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue-spotted jawfish for me! Absolutely beautiful fish but even with a covered tank I could not keep it in the tank. I rescued that fish more times than I can count!
One of my friend had his tank completely covered and only 1 spot with electric cable was the place where his jawfish jump off and died

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any surgeon fish or tang.
Yes I know they are pretty and active but almost every issue I have ever had with my tanks has been tang related. I had a PBT which grew into a 7" monster, it was so aggressive my family called it Psycho. It hunted down and killed 10 Green Chromis, it killed a 6" Queen Angel, it was killed when it picked on and tried to murder a 12" foxface.
Then there was my Purple Tang which came out in spots if I looked at it harshly.

Then there was my little Chevron which grew into a 10" crap machine, I couldn't keep nitrate and phosphate under control.

There was my group of 5 yellow tangs which happily lived together for 3 years one day decided to turn on one fish and kill it, I went from 5 to 1 in 3 months. It was horrible to watch.

Oh almost forgot- a Sohol which would attack my hand if I put it in the tank, I still have a scar on my wrist where it slashed me when I was cleaning the glass.

No more tangs for me.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any surgeon fish or tang.
Yes I know they are pretty and active but almost every issue I have ever had with my tanks has been tang related. I had a PBT which grew into a 7" monster, it was so aggressive my family called it Psycho. It hunted down and killed 10 Green Chromis, it killed a 6" Queen Angel, it was killed when it picked on and tried to murder a 12" foxface.
Then there was my Purple Tang which came out in spots if I looked at it harshly.

Then there was my little Chevron which grew into a 10" crap machine, I couldn't keep nitrate and phosphate under control.

There was my group of 5 yellow tangs which happily lived together for 3 years one day decided to turn on one fish and kill it, I went from 5 to 1 in 3 months. It was horrible to watch.

Oh almost forgot- a Sohol which would attack my hand if I put it in the tank, I still have a scar on my wrist where it slashed me when I was cleaning the glass.

No more tangs for me.

So the foxface killed the tang?
I didnt realise this thread had somewhat recent messages sorry

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus wrasse. Mine gets into everything. Terrible. I even cut the top off a plastic bottle to make a cover to feed my trachy. He even gets inside there through the small opening on that and he is about 5 inches. He is an active fish for sure. Just gets into trouble all the time. He is one fish I wouldn’t lose any sleep over if he took that leap.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely a Pixy Hawkfish. The one I have right now has already killed one wrasse and took a huge chunk out of another. I can’t catch him without breaking down my tank. I didn’t think they were supposed to be this aggressive. :( Too bad because I like him otherwise.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back