Fishkeeping in Asia—Nano Reef Build

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chinese Aquarium Markets—Chinese Aquarium Culture & Design—My Nano Reef—Chinese brands that aren’t half bad—Live rock—Youtube Channel

Chinese aquarium markets have the vibe of a silk road bazaar. You rarely see what you and I call fish stores. Instead, you see rows of vendors in underground alleys, each specializing in a specific species or equipment set. Men selling aquascaping rock, women holding up lengths of Malaysian driftwood. You’ve got your discus guys, your cichlid hawkers, and then those who deal in Asian Arowana—the last dragons in China.

My girlfriend—Shelly—lives with me in Shenzhen, and she insisted on coming to Honghu Aquarium market. She worried I wouldn’t say “有点贵” forcefully enough. (Translation: “it’s too expensive.” A phrase you must repeat constantly when haggling in China.) I speak Chinese at the level of a semi-intelligent six-year-old. So I was happy to let Shelly do the talking. She has a passion for bargaining, even on things with set prices—like restaurant menus. I once heard her negotiating the price of noodles.

Our fishkeeping brethren in China build their tanks upside down. They put the sump on top of the aquarium instead of beneath it. Generally, this sump covers the full length of the hood and doubles as a lid. Many Chinese fish keepers I know live in fear their fish will jump. That heavy sump gives them peace of mind. If a Super Red jumps, that’s a lot of money flopping on the floor.

IMG_1595.JPG

However, many Chinese aquarists lean toward the opposite extreme. They leave their tanks uncovered out of superstition—the fish might need to send them a message one day.

Every fish seller in China tells the story of the Malaysian businessman and his Asian arowana. In the story, the man and his fish share a special bond. One day, a business associate invited him to make a risky investment. The day before closing the deal, the arowana jumped out and died on the floor. He believed the fish killed itself to prevent the deal. A few months later the company he’d considered investing in folded. This story has many variations—sometimes the man is Japanese, sometimes it’s a Super Red, but the moral remains the same. The fish saved the man’s business.

Here, anything red demands a higher price. Pigeon blood discus, chili reds, red mushroom coral, even arapaima with especially vibrant tails. The color is embedded in China’s cultural psyche. During Spring Festival, people exchange red packets of money and hang red paper cuttings on their doorways. In traditional weddings, Chinese brides don’t wear white, they wear red.

When I first moved to China four years ago, I bought an upside-down aquarium. For freshwater, these are better than any Western-style aquarium. The pump pulls water from the bottom, zips it to the mini-sump, and then it flows back in. A clean and efficient system, perfect for a bare bottom tank. However, I wanted to keep coral this time and needed a Western-style setup.

Shelly finagled, bargained, and then feigned a walkaway. By the end of it, the vendor offered us a 100-liter system for 800 yuan. (About $125 USD.) It included the tank, light, stand, sump, and pump. I would've preferred a larger aquarium, but I have limited space. Shelly and I live in a studio. Additionally, I prefer glass aquariums. Call me old fashioned, but glass just feels better. But we have to carry it to the fifth floor (no elevator), so I decided acrylic was more pragmatic. I paid while Shelly told the vendor we’d pick it up next week.

Later that evening, while ambling Shenzhen’s alleyways, I stumbled into one of those rare standalone fish stores. Except for the labels written in Chinese and the Buddhist shrine in the corner, it reminded me of an American LFS. The owner—who I call Mr. Li—welcomed me into his shop. He soon offered me a great deal on a used 100-liter cube. 300 yuan—about $45—for the tank, stand, sump, and pump. When I heard the price, I wanted it. But I'd already promised my money to another. I thanked Mr. Li and left his store.

I tried to forget the cube. It was heavy, impractical, and didn’t come with a light. But it was glass, high-quality, and perfect for a nano reef. Shelly messaged the vendor in Honghu to request a refund. When they returned my money, I went straight to Mr. Li to purchase the cube. That trip became the subject of my first video.

fishtank corner.jpg

Afterward, I collected all the bits and bobs needed for the setup. Mr. Li ordered the light—a Chinese brand called Sunpolar. It’s a fine piece of equipment with this quirky thing called “lighting mode." Hit that button and it flashes like a strobe light. I ordered the rest of my gear off Taobao, China’s equivalent to Amazon. I ordered a Sunsun powerhead, an Aquasyncro protein skimmer, and a heater. I'm unsure what brand —it's in Chinese. People hate on Chinese made stuff, but everything I bought, especially the protein skimmer, was top notch. It fits perfectly in my five-gallon sump. As for the powerhead, you get a lot of flow for $3. When was the last time you got a powerhead that cheap?

protein skimmer.jpg

After filling it, I visited Mr. Li to buy live rock. (I had installed a RO/DI filter under my sink and used a Chinese brand of reef salt.) Mr. Li sold cured rock for about $1.25 a pound. I purchased ten kilos in total. When I told Shelly how much I paid, she said, “just for rocks?”

To me, an aquarium—especially a reef tank—signifies stability. After a few messy years, I finally feel ready to put down a tank. Also, I want to be involved with the fish keeping community. So I joined here, Fishlore, and Reddit. I also made a youtube channel as a creative outlet. I’m playing the youtube game, I’ve got my gimmick to make the videos fun. (I’m going to train fish.) But what I’m writing here is the soul behind my aquarium.

Joining the message boards has been humbling. When you practice your hobby in a bubble, you assume you’re an expert. However, I quickly realized I was a novice when I attempted discussing theology with the monks. I’ve adjusted my posture and opened myself up to instruction. After just one week on R2R, I’ve learned a lot.

Thank you for letting me be part of your community.

Nathan Smith

My Youtube Channel- How to Train Your Fish

P.S. Shelly enjoys our little aquarium. And she only complained a little when we carried it up the stairs.
WechatIMG489.jpeg

DJI_0918.jpg DJI_0921.jpg DJI_0931.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, excellent intro,very interesting, last time i seen live rock at a buck a lb was 1990,and had to buy 300 lbs min,cool system you have there ,following along from the other side of the globe :cool:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many ways to reef successfully. Don't get overwhelmed with the wrong and right ways. I'm anxious to see what you do. I'm always willing to think outside the box. I'm a huge fan of cube tanks!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. Looks cool. You need to come to HK for the good livestock ;) Do you use Taobao? Lots of cheap goods there. You can also order corals and fish as well. And when you speak Chinese, is it mandarin or Cantonese? If you do Canto, we can shock the locals next time you make a trip to HK. But seriously, when this pandemic is over, I’ll happily show you around and introduce to my group of expat reefers.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. Looks cool. You need to come to HK for the good livestock ;) Do you use Taobao? Lots of cheap goods there. You can also order corals and fish as well. And when you speak Chinese, is it mandarin or Cantonese? If you do Canto, we can shock the locals next time you make a trip to HK. But seriously, when this pandemic is over, I’ll happily show you around and introduce to my group of expat reefers.
Man, I'd love to go shopping there, but I'm not sure how to bring it back across the border. I am sure carrying live animals would be a nightmare in customs. I struggle through basic Chinese sentences. I've never even tried Canotnese haha my girlfriend speaks a dialect of it from her village, but its different from what they speak in HK, but she says she can still understand them. I am just waiting for that highspeed route to open up and I'll be there! I know some great Korean resturants, even better than the places I ate at in South Korea!

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, excellent intro,very interesting, last time i seen live rock at a buck a lb was 1990,and had to buy 300 lbs min,cool system you have there ,following along from the other side of the globe :cool:
Thank you! It still blows my mind how cheap everything is. I will write about the coral I bought in the next post.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to reef successfully. Don't get overwhelmed with the wrong and right ways. I'm anxious to see what you do. I'm always willing to think outside the box. I'm a huge fan of cube tanks!
Me too. Cubes just have a fung shui look! haha I am working on my next entry about the coral I decided to put in.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misunderstood the proper way to use a buildthread so I've moved my update here.

Coral—Youtube—Long Spine—More Coral

A tank watched won't cycle. It felt like forever, but my cube finally readied itself for livestock. I rushed off to see Mr. Li. Before this build, I had always scraped together pennies for the cheapest coral and the smallest frags. I started the hobby in high school when all I had was a part-time job. Later, I worked as a youth minister before I came to Asia. These days, I'm a bit more comfortable financially. Walking into the fish store with the freedom to buy whatever I wanted (within reason) felt so strange.

I've continued to document my progress in my youtube series. Before youtube, I never used social media. I didn't have Facebook, Instagram, or Chatsnap. So I reactivated my Instagram and made a Reddit. (I'm still staying clear of Facebook.) Day one on Reddit, I watched the mob tear into a guy for keeping a betta in a 1.5 gallon instead of the recommended 5 gallons. Horrifying. However, my youtube journey also helped me find reef2reef. And I love it here. Except for my best friend, I've never been connected with others in the hobby before. We weren't meant to reef in a bubble.

I started with some GSP, a green hydra, and a red mushroom coral. I'm a man of simple taste. The shroom grew quickly and is my favorite coral. I also purchased a long spine urchin. I'd seen them while snorkeling in Borneo and thought they were fascinating. I bought it without doing any research—or even thinking. Later, I read that they tend to strip small tanks clean of algae and starve, so I began feeding it. It quickly became a problem, but Mr. Li couldn't take it back.

The long spine bulldozed coral, scared the star polyps, and no matter where it was, it was in my way. I wrote about this in another post, but if I needed to adjust the powerhead, it was curled up next to it like a porcupine. If I needed to set straight a coral it had knocked flat, it moved toward me. Thankfully, Mr. Li helped me find it a new home. (After I'd filmed this video and the next.)

I wanted more coral, but this time I went to Honghu. I was in the mood to browse, and the vendors keep more in stock than Mr. Li. I went a little overboard and purchased a green goniopora, a green toadstool, a hammer coral, and some polyps. When I took the photos, some of the corals hadn't fully opened, but now they're thriving. Some of them—especially the red mushroom coral—seem to have doubled in size.

I'm delighted by the coral, but frustrated with the liverock. It's still not stacked to my satisfaction. Before putting coral in, I piddled with it constantly. Even now, I can't get happy with it. For my next build, I'll use a mold. I'd never seen one stateside, but here, they sell molded dry rock with little ledges for your coral. Once you fill them out, they look like perfected nature. I'll try to snag a photo of one next time I go to the fish store.

When I got rid of the long spine, I felt I'd gotten my house in order. I'm still dissatisfied with the liverock formation, but I'm not sure I've ever been happy with a saltwater aquascape. I've always wished you could scape salt into the well-manicured perfection of a freshwater display. But liverock tumbles, corals grow in the wrong direction, and anemones never settle where you'd hoped. However, my coral is happy, which is what's most important.

IMG_7244.jpg IMG_7238.jpg IMG_7243.jpg IMG_7260.jpg

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trip to the Fish MarketNew FishMeet BingBingQuestions about how to improve a fish's quality of life

Me and Shelly went to Honghu to browse. I'd received many suggestions for fish to train. Species like six-line wrasse, saddle Valentini puffer, and Midas blennies. But really, I needed something with spirit.

You must be careful in assigning human emotions to animals. Have you ever caught your dog stealing something then yelled at it? Don't they look guilty? In How to Tame a Fox, Lyudmila Trut writes about an experiment where a dog's owner tells it not to eat a treat and then leaves. In some cases, researchers removed the treat, other times the dog ate it. In both scenarios, the dogs exhibited the same guilty look. It seems dogs don't actually feel guilt, they simply don't like being chastised.

However, I think we can agree that some fish, even within the same species, have more personality than others. Fish with personality tend to be quicker on the uptake with feeding schedules. And they learn to recognize their owners. I've also noticed a link between aggression and personality. For example, dovii keepers swear they are the most interactive fish in the hobby. They'll also murder anything you put in the tank.

So I wasn't looking for one species in particular, just something with big, curious eyes. I needed a fish who took interest in me. As I moved from tank to tank in Honghu market, none of the fish even noticed me. They kept swimming or hid in the corner. Finally, I came to a maroon clown who approached the glass as I neared.

Maroon clowns are an aggressive, territorial fish. Many hobbyists have maroons that nip them when they put their hand in the tank. I'm reluctant to assign human emotion to animals, but this fish didn't seem aggressive. It just swam over to see what was up.

My system is about 25 gallons, and I've read about lots of people who keep them in 30. However, for a full-grown maroon clown, I'd prefer at least 40-55. For the time being, he's perfectly content in the cube. I plan to move him to a larger tank when I lease a bigger apartment in May.

Also, I'm training him and I need to be able to get his attention easily. In a larger tank, he'd get lost. One of the questions I'd like to explore is if training a fish actually improves their quality of life. Many animals benefit from a relationship with their owners, I want to see if the same holds true with fish.

I'm not sure how to test this. I think after he's trained, I'll continue working with him, but offer less reward or even no reward. By measuring his attentiveness and enthusiasm, I might be able to guess at whether or not he actually enjoys swimming through hoops. Let me know your thoughts!

On the taxi ride home (you can't take live animals on the subway in Shenzhen) Shelly said, "let's call him Bingbing." It's a nickname for little kids here and I liked the sound of it. So I'm delighted to introduce you to BingBing! He's already making progress. (I know regardless of his gender, he'll become female unless I get him a mate, but I've taken to calling him "him.") In the following updates, I'll share his training routine. Even now, after five days in the aquarium, he's learned to follow the training rod.

He's a good little fish.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I'd write a little update. BingBing and I had our first major breakthrough. I am so pleased with his progress. He has learned to strike the training rod, and I am now teaching him to swim through a hoop. I'm proud of this little guy. I also got some great photos of him.

He wants an anemone so bad he can't stand it. He's been trying to host my flowerpot coral and he's stressing it out. I really think he's going to love it to death, but I can't force myself to be mad at him for it.

IMG_7372.jpg

Thanks for all the support for this new channel. I have had a lot of inspiration lately. I'm going to try to use training in more practical ways, like with picky eaters. For example, my next project is going to use conditioning to get a mandarin fish on frozen food. Let me know if you have any suggestions for ways fish training could make tricky species easier to keep.

Nathan

IMG_7377.JPG

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’ve made so much progress both with BingBing and Youtube. I know several of you who follow this thread have subscribed. I really appreciate your support and the words of encouragement you’ve shared. I am really touched that you enjoy the videos.

With BingBing, we had some early success with the hoop, but I hit a snag. When I tried to use the kalimba to issue a command, he associated the kalimba with getting fed. After that, he refused to respond to my commands. After working with him, I again got him reliably striking the rod.

This week I had new ideas for the channel. I want to use fish conditioning in practical ways. In addition to the hoop trick, I am going to work on teaching BingBing to swim into a net. (I won't pull him out of the water unless I actually need to move him.) This would be something really practical that a lot of us could use. Imagine you have a reef and need to get one pesky damsel out. Instead of removing all your rock, you could teach your fish to associate the net with food then scoop out the troublemaker.

Big things are happening in my small fish corner. I'll be adding a new tank and fish. I am going to hook a second thirty gallon into my system to increase the total volume to about 60 gallons.

Also, I'll use conditioning with picky eaters and demystify mandarin fish. I'll use conditioning (just like pavlov did with dogs) as a reliable way to get mandarin fish on prepared foods. Feeding is what makes them a tricky fish.

To diffuse aggression, I'll put BingBing in a breeder box while the mandarin settles in. (This will be another video about how to manipulate fish behavior.) If BingBing refuses to leave the mandarin be, I’ll put the mandarin back in the other thirty gallon.

Finally, a third thing I’d really love your help with. Soon I'll request users to send in clips of their fish doing tricks they learned from the channel. I want to feature these clips in future videos. If you’d like to train your fish and have it featured, please let me know! I am also happy to work with you one-on-one with the training. Just shoot me a message!

I'm so pleased by the progress my channel has made. When I hit 100 subscribers I'm making a logo, stickers, and having a give away. Let me know what you’d like to see. :D

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back