Fishless Aquarium

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a serious problem.. Both of the clowns i have had have died (different times but almost the same way). They where fine one day and then the next they were laying on there side and curling up into a ball. my clown that died tonight was fine this morning and when i got home he was laying on a rock on his side struggling to breath. right before he died one side was like a faded color and i did notice a couple days ago he had some spots on him that was loss of color.. i have seen no signs of ICH in my aquarium. My corals are growing and have lots of color, and my coral banded shrimp is fine. I am lost as to why my clowns died and now have a aquarium with no fish.. Someone please help!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test your water? Also how old is the tank?

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wired I have actually had the same thing happen to me in the past! !!! It's frustrating as he$&. The wired thing was that the only fish that seemed to die we're clowns I swear for a while I though I was cursed. Here are the list of things that I went through to try and find the problem
1. What other fish are in the tank ?
2. Did you buy the clowns together?
3. Wild caught or tank raised?
4. You said your water params checked but keep testing. Is there any variable that has changed?
5. We're the clowns eating up until?
6. How much surface agitation to you have ,do you have a protein skimmer? (point being is how oxygenated is your water)
7. Have you checked for stray voltage ? ( may be your problem)
8. Have you added anything to the tank? I mean anything from snails to not washing your hands between fish store and home ?
9. Do qt your fish and dip your corals?
This is just a start there are endless possibilities I chalked mine up to clownfish disease but I never found proof I just let the tank be fish less for a while and no more problems. The loosing color this happened my my case too I attributed it to the loss of o2 or low circulation bc it was struggling to breath. Hope this will point you in the right direction

Morgan

mjaustin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep you tank fishless for 8 week and start quarantining every fish before it goes in you tank. It is a pain but well worth it.

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am gonna keep it fishless for a while and see if anything else dies such as my shrimp or the corals! and yes i got them at the same time from animal city in the boro.

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wired I have actually had the same thing happen to me in the past! !!! It's frustrating as he$&. The wired thing was that the only fish that seemed to die we're clowns I swear for a while I though I was cursed. Here are the list of things that I went through to try and find the problem
1. What other fish are in the tank ?
2. Did you buy the clowns together?
3. Wild caught or tank raised?
4. You said your water params checked but keep testing. Is there any variable that has changed?
5. We're the clowns eating up until?
6. How much surface agitation to you have ,do you have a protein skimmer? (point being is how oxygenated is your water)
7. Have you checked for stray voltage ? ( may be your problem)
8. Have you added anything to the tank? I mean anything from snails to not washing your hands between fish store and home ?
9. Do qt your fish and dip your corals?
This is just a start there are endless possibilities I chalked mine up to clownfish disease but I never found proof I just let the tank be fish less for a while and no more problems. The loosing color this happened my my case too I attributed it to the loss of o2 or low circulation bc it was struggling to breath. Hope this will point you in the right direction

Morgan
i have a 550 gallon per hr turn over rate in my 40 breeder aquarium and a 660 powerhead. do you think that was not enough and it killed my clowns?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not your oxygenation ur running an algae scrubber it super saturates ur levels .. i dunno whats wrong bro sounds like some kinda fish disease cause if params are off enough to kill your clowns your corals should long died as well. or at least your corals would be brown and shrunken up.

i would quit buying from animal city or whatever i have no clue about them or where they get there fish u could be just getting fish improperly caught or taken care of and they are doomed before u get them. how long u had the clowns?

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not your oxygenation ur running an algae scrubber it super saturates ur levels .. i dunno whats wrong bro sounds like some kinda fish disease cause if params are off enough to kill your clowns your corals should long died as well. or at least your corals would be brown and shrunken up.

i would quit buying from animal city or whatever i have no clue about them or where they get there fish u could be just getting fish improperly caught or taken care of and they are doomed before u get them. how long u had the clowns?

Ya sounds like something what I chalked up to clownfish disease. If your going to get new clowns after a while go with Matt who owns sustainable aquatics. I have never had a set of bad clowns from him even back before he became a huge company and sold from the forums I bought clowns from him. They are healthy and hardy. Jmo

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, I would make your way down to the aquatic critter on nolensville road and buy some SA clowns from them. they are always really healthy looking. There is probably nothing wrong with your tank, it was just where you were acquiring your fish.

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike i had them for 4 months and i will start buying from the critter only! i didnt understand why those two died and nothing else has except the blenny which got caught in a rock :/. i will wait a few weeks before i add anything else and just see what happens. Thanks guys!

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound wierd , but of you do get another pair and it happens again. Freeze them and maybe I could do a dissection for you.

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that is strange! But hopefully it never happens again... Maybe it was just that pair.

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have an entire aquatic ecology lab to myself, a key to the biology building , and insomnia might as well put it to good use ! I did it when my clowns were died I wanted to know what I did to kill them ..lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back