OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty cool. By fully adjustable do you mean height=up and down, or light configuration?
For a minute I was like “whats a lay-up?”

adjustable up and down for maintenance

lid each individual light module is infinitely positionable across the full 5.5’ length

a bit ghetto in its implementation, but it’ll help me get the positioning for 4 lights over 3 bays optimized for reduced shadows, then I can lock them in with bolts

also- I left extra few inches on the cross bars in order to hang either T5 retrofit or single row led bars depending on coverage

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cracked myself up! I have been saving my progression shots joke for weeks! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
adjustable up and down for maintenance

lid each individual light module is infinitely positionable across the full 5.5’ length

a bit ghetto in its implementation, but it’ll help me get the positioning for 4 lights over 3 bays optimized for reduced shadows, then I can lock them in with bolts

also- I left extra few inches on the cross bars in order to hang either T5 retrofit or single row led bars depending on coverage
That sounds awesome, not ghetto!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEBD0466-25FA-4C4E-AB15-EC6AEE5BF3B9.jpeg
8C46168D-088E-4649-8EBE-A32CC576E07F.jpeg
4D09CC93-6AB2-4C86-A147-649B5B533B80.jpeg
E4A70DB9-18E6-44EB-8048-B0A77F70F09C.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so- im a little worried that i screwed up on the light upgrade

i pulled one of my mars aqua from the tank last night after lights out, and hung it next to one of the noops k7's, from the new rail in the garage

at full power for both, the mars aqua won on pure output, and on coverage. it does have higher power consumption and is a little louder, but i was hoping id see a definite obvious difference.

of course, the noops have ramping, are smaller, lighter, use less power and have 5 adjustable channels, but for having spent the money to replace year old fixtures that were seemingly doing the job just fine, im a little underwhelmed

i also hung my viparspectra QT light. that thing is bright, but has a big hotspot. it also has a janky control interface that i hate. but i love the output and power useage. ill open it up and pop the lenses off before i use it as my dedicated frag tank light (about 12 months out)

obviously im going to reserve judgement until i have all 4 hung and lighting the tank, but im having a little bit of buyers remorse, I think. It was hard justifying the spend to the Family Comptroller and I figured it would be a real easy sell to her once they arrived, but not quite

Now- caveat- my emotional state levels are obviously compromised with having been in QT for 10 weeks now, with no real end in site and home schooling 2x under 4's, and not being able to get out on the kayak or even get fish tacos from my fave food truck. so maybe theres some extra negativity in there.

ill give them a fair shake down once they are in full swing.

also- my replacements for the DOA corals are coming this week. That took some negotiating. but i think we came up with a good deal. Tomorrow im going to transfer the contents of the 10g QT over to the 20 long and get my new frag racks built. I found a bag of unused pvc fitting that are perfect.

The blasto is doing great, and the relocated hammer (to recover from bristleworm bites) is doing well too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So- my replacement for the DOA order came in. To replace the fruity pebble monti, 2 cyphastrea, and porites, he sent:

2 bizarro Cyphastrea
A big encrusted meteor shower cyph
2 rainbow scans, 2-3 head each
An acan echinata- agent orange
A Jason fox fruity pebbles monti

Yeah- that’s 7 corals to replace the 4 DOAs... all looking great, amazing colors

Did a 30% QC in the qt, and dropped them for 30 minutes.

Pics to follow

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Crazy way to look at it. That must mean you are safe and healthy, right?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Crazy way to look at it. That must mean you are safe and healthy, right?
oh, yeah- we are good. Haven’t left our yard in 2.5 months. Groceries get delivered and we have a Decontamination station in the garage. HOA did just fine us $150 for having a vehicle parked in our driveway though,

cant Say the same for the families at the pool last weekend (our master suite looks Out over our backyard, and over the neighborhood pool, 200 feet away giveor take) literally lining up at the infection point, I mean gate, to get access. Lifeguards highfiving each other, shaking hands with home-owners. Food trucks in the parking lot. GA is open, but cases are still increasing, and it makes me want to scream.

All we can do is protect ourselves and our family. And hope we can maintain ‘normality’ and some fun times for the girls. But it’s getting harder every day as we see more and more people make poor choices based on bad information at the state abd fed level. Trying to explain to a 4 year old why she can’t go to the pool, but those people can, is super hard. She kinda gets it though- she’s got some smarts

how are you guys holding up?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holding up okay. Yeah, it amazes me too. People are wearing masks less around town (but not at work at least). Makes we wonder what they think has changed from a month ago? They just got bored and decided to risk the health of everyone around them? We are in for a big second wave that may be worse and longer than the first.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holding up okay. Yeah, it amazes me too. People are wearing masks less around town (but not at work at least). Makes we wonder what they think has changed from a month ago? They just got bored and decided to risk the health of everyone around them? We are in for a big second wave that may be worse and longer than the first.
You ever see the curve they made f the Spanish flu? Let me dig it out...

58F54223-EEA0-4859-A654-1C7D704FD031.jpeg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what my novice brain expects. I thought more of a plateau in the second wave though.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what my novice brain expects. I thought more of a plateau in the second wave though.
It will be in this case since medical science will keep people alive for longer due to ventilators etc. Today’s attitude of “my freedoms” will ensure this won’t ever be properly contained, pushing the duration of the secondary wave way into next year. My/our best guess is that the wave will start as flu season ramps up (sept/October) due to the Comorbidities of the two diseases overwhelming an already taxed system
In the case of the Spanish flu- the cases were precipitated by reduction in social distancing as soldiers returned from the fields of WW1. Of course, this population was already heavily compromised, there was a general reduction in medical ability due to the war, and people were eager to get back to normal after being on a war footing for 2 years (in US).

It always saddened me to think of these kids surviving the fields at Flanders, only to come home to pass due to the disease.

Caveat: I could spend 4 days talking about this stuff, but y’all are here to talk reefs. So I won’t bore you all with details. But hit me up on PM if you want to discuss more/ disagree with me and we can talk properly in the background.

edit: did I say y’all? Uugghh, I feel so gross

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back