OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever see the curve they made f the Spanish flu? Let me dig it out...

58F54223-EEA0-4859-A654-1C7D704FD031.jpeg
What’s crazy is that New York even has a 1.5 wave... exactly what’s happening now in regions where social distancing has been relaxed.
That adage about ‘doomed to repeat mistakes’ is very true. Lots of basic lessons from that event being ignored due to modern technology hubris.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, yeah- we are good. Haven’t left our yard in 2.5 months. Groceries get delivered and we have a Decontamination station in the garage. HOA did just fine us $150 for having a vehicle parked in our driveway though,

cant Say the same for the families at the pool last weekend (our master suite looks Out over our backyard, and over the neighborhood pool, 200 feet away giveor take) literally lining up at the infection point, I mean gate, to get access. Lifeguards highfiving each other, shaking hands with home-owners. Food trucks in the parking lot. GA is open, but cases are still increasing, and it makes me want to scream.

All we can do is protect ourselves and our family. And hope we can maintain ‘normality’ and some fun times for the girls. But it’s getting harder every day as we see more and more people make poor choices based on bad information at the state abd fed level. Trying to explain to a 4 year old why she can’t go to the pool, but those people can, is super hard. She kinda gets it though- she’s got some smarts

how are you guys holding up?
You nailed it! Dont you just want to freak the Heck out at those people! (Please substitute a very foul word for heck in yer brain for me)
I am afraid of how many people will have to die before they get it, if they ever will.
I am so glad you are ich free though. I would let you come to my reef now. :) got to run! XO friend!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it! Dont you just want to freak the Heck out at those people! (Please substitute a very foul word for heck in yer brain for me)
I am afraid of how many people will have to die before they get it, if they ever will.
I am so glad you are ich free though. I would let you come to my reef now. :) got to run! XO friend!
stay safe, my friend.

given we just hit 90000, if the current trends continue, its going to top 250K once we are also dealing with seasonal flu.

makes me sad considering prompt action in the first month could have seen us through this already.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see my thoughts on freedom here:

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see my thoughts on freedom here:
never seen that thread before. thats pretty cool.

im not even going to pretend to understand the american psyche regarding 'freedoms' etc. To me, its like watching a teenage rebellion phase... all us older civilizations just hoping yall grow out of it before you crash the car into a tree after a house party.

i mean- where is the logic in protesting, with guns, safeguards designed to protect you and your family from a biological threat? I understand there are people who are anti-gov, etc, but to call yourself a patriot when your actions could, quite literally, cause the end of how society operates long term, just seems really short-sighted, and selfish.

everyone could have hunkered down, stayed isolated for 8 weeks and this would now be contained. instead- we are looking at the virus establishing a proper foothold and becoming a normal part of our biological landscape. 8 weeks of restrictions vs now having to adjust to a new reality where your grandparents and parents have a 10 fold higher risk of dying every year, and our kids are going to have nerve and circulation issuesm, and cognitive decline.

because people couldnt stay home.

ok- thisll be the last time i discuss this for a while, for fear of poking some bears and getting banned, lol. i like you guys and want to hang around

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the cycle. Decided on option 2.

isolated the DT, moved the heaters into it and am running the gyre at 20%.

Added 13ml of ace hardware 10% ammonia using the hamzareef calculator to figure out the volume. Used a 165g volume and 2ppm target.

Ran the gyre fir an hour, then tested sump water as zero control and DT water with an API master test kit.

0b941d9799006323ff6db6ab5bb4581e.jpg

Sump water control on left, DT after ammonia addition on right. Read it as 2ppm.

Dumped in 500 ml of biospira, turned off heaters and gyre and let it drift around in the current for an hour before I turned them back on.

Plan is to do a nitrite test before bed, see if anything is happening. That will be 9 hours post bacteria addition.
September 25th was start of cycle.
so I have 129 days until it’s second birthday.

let’s see if I can get some projects finalized and some nice pieces growing before then

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some work in the viral qt tank and noticed I have a few little red bugs in there

uugghhh

except, one moved

sure enough, little guy is moving pretty quickly...
Some Googles later and it turns out they are spirobid worm eating Vayssierea felis sea slugs

B3FFF6C6-3E39-4131-AEB8-90210613C108.jpeg

BBC25EBB-AFB7-4EBA-92DD-80966D173472.jpeg

second pic stolen from googles

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulley plates for the rail-

B561D5F8-0FCC-4833-87C9-B6CD5BACEE4A.jpeg

my 1 1/4 3/8-16 bolts are just a hair too smallfor mounting these to the unistrut thats already in the canopy. 1 3/4” versions coming tomorrow

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you just hate working on a project for a week, post up a pic once you are done, then see a way of doing it much cleaner and with less ‘stuff’, lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back