Fishroom Reality Check

Fishy_mcfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green- that’s my incoming water from the overflow. It’s a settling tank that collects detritus, and overflows into the skimmer section at exactly 26 gallons capacity

b3b0ef81474a81b4eae600d9895a13d2.jpg

This arrangement lets me dump 26 gallons down the drain via this white pipe running down the back of the sump and into my ejector pump

9ec0d38b2922079eaaa4d32650ba68a5.jpg
b09999a06865d3eccd2c5ab64093f5c5.jpg

This guy is plumbed via hose to my salt water mixing barrel, for refills.
2678f85c4e9e6a8feddaa25fb3c4ee05.jpg
012f37ebb84bf748e921391f45a9dc66.jpg

26 gallon water change and detritus removal in 8 minutes... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Blue— yep... 40 gallon fuge that was supposed to take chaeto (having issues with my algabarn orders...still). Manifold off return line to run at 350 gph.
f043e2019317206e4c1a30367ab9996b.jpg

This last blacked out tank is a 29g fully cryptic fuge for sponges- but it needs to be brought online. It was also supposed to be off manifold, but it appears I’m going to need a bit more flow than I thought, so will need it’s own pump

5f274acbf529d8b84028ac2934cd68c8.jpg
8ab2d3956a2c7a933f5b1ff6f4574a15.jpg

Looks good! What area of Atlanta are you In? We are going to be moving to Georgia in a couple years and I plan on having a basement fishroom myself. We have been looking into the Snellville Lawrenceville area currently.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! What area of Atlanta are you In? We are going to be moving to Georgia in a couple years and I plan on having a basement fishroom myself. We have been looking into the Snellville Lawrenceville area currently.

Lawrenceville suwanee

Hit me up when you move and I’ll give you a tour

Fishy_mcfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What neighborhoods? Any idea? I’m over in Collins hill. We have a bunch of houses for sale here

I’m not familiar with the area, I know we started at the 85 kind of near where the trampoline park is and worked out way down to Snellville. We were back and forth between Lawrenceville and Snellville because my navigator, aka wife, isn’t the best with directions haha we are hoping to go back out this summer. If we do I’ll hit you up and see about that tour lol

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the area, I know we started at the 85 kind of near where the trampoline park is and worked out way down to Snellville. We were back and forth between Lawrenceville and Snellville because my navigator, aka wife, isn’t the best with directions haha we are hoping to go back out this summer. If we do I’ll hit you up and see about that tour lol

Lol@navigatorWife. Mines the same way. Except she confused lilburn and lawrenceville the first trip out. We were an hour late for a viewing

Tours only apply to local residents. So I can guilt you into giving me frags... [emoji14]

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graduation day out of QT for the CUC tomorrow.

The hermits are in a floating acclimation box. Easy enough to transfer.

The snails- thinking I’ll pick all the visible ones into a container, then keep the tank active and pick the stragglers out as I see them. Maybe starve them out for a few days and put a pint ice cream container with some food in there to entice them in.

Or I could take a cup of the sand to seed later, sift the small snails out of the bulk of the sand, then wash it and set up the tank again with the ‘seed sand ‘ to get my biofilter going. Then use this tank for my pistol shrimp coming in a few weeks.

So- “pick and watch” or “sift and seed”?

I doubt it makes any difference, but I’m a planner, lol

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected the bucket might be the chaeto. Have you thrown some fish flakes in with it? Dirty water? I would be happy to send you some. QT it if you want. I won’t be offended. I even have a little insulated box from a shipment I could use.

Yeah- I’ve been adding some plant food (F2 that’s recommended for phyto-culture) but it still fragments over time. My NO3 and PO4 in the bucket are 55 and 0.4 respectively, so there should be enough in there.

I’m kinda confused as to why it’s failing. Algaebarn have offered me some sea lettuce instead, but I’ll admit I haven’t looked at that as an alternative to chaeto. I’m wondering if this is the excuse I need to go full on display fuge with a bunch of different things.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I’ve been adding some plant food (F2 that’s recommended for phyto-culture) but it still fragments over time. My NO3 and PO4 in the bucket are 55 and 0.4 respectively, so there should be enough in there.

I’m kinda confused as to why it’s failing. Algaebarn have offered me some sea lettuce instead, but I’ll admit I haven’t looked at that as an alternative to chaeto. I’m wondering if this is the excuse I need to go full on display fuge with a bunch of different things.
My red light is growing chaeto like CRAZY. I really think you need dirty water.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red light is growing chaeto like CRAZY. I really think you need dirty water.

Possibly, but I’ve QTd chaeto before with the same F2 dose and it did fine. Was using a different light though, so maybe the combo is off. I’m getting a UFO grow light fur Christmas, so maybe that’ll do better.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m giving up the 20l with the mangroves and sexy shrimp (wall mounted above fuge- turns out electrical etc would be too complicated to route) maybe a display type fuge is in the cards instead.

Need to look into that.

I’m planning to put a few mangroves in the overflow/settling 29g tank, but it won’t be anything like the lagoony sexy shrimp rock flower anemone tank I envisioned

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m giving up the 20l with the mangroves and sexy shrimp (wall mounted above fuge- turns out electrical etc would be too complicated to route) maybe a display type fuge is in the cards instead.

Need to look into that.

I’m planning to put a few mangroves in the overflow/settling 29g tank, but it won’t be anything like the lagoony sexy shrimp rock flower anemone tank I envisioned
lol. The horror. Dang electrical.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. The horror. Dang electrical.

I know- first world problems, right?

To be honest- i *could* get away with it, but in the interests of keeping things looking good, I have a self imposed restriction on electrical conduit running alongside plumbing. I even added extra studs in that particular section of the wall for support. Once I put the ATO controller up, I just envisioned it being way too crowded.

We’ll see how I feel once the electrical is actually up. I might change my mind back

I was going to model it on this tank-

ef854b386e9e032fb364b2efeb0eb039.jpg

https://www.nano-reef.com/featured/2016/brad908-r114/

But no macro-algae, and with a small group of sexy shrimp, a couple RFAs and a tube anemone.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any rules against just droning on like a filibuster to get this thread up to 400 by the end of the night?

The skunk cleaner I put in last Wednesday (after molting in QT) finally came out of his little cave and is exploring around the tank. Guess he’s hardened up and starting to feel comfortable

9723af592981148a148243b34b9935a3.jpg

Crappy cell phone pic

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back