Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattYandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My last post in December was about getting a RSM 250 for my first saltwater tank. I ended up getting the tank for $200! I got this tank to get my feet wet with saltwater (pun intended) and make sure I like saltwater side of aquarium keeping before diving off of the deep end and getting a larger tank. Finally finding some time after moving to a different house, I started to dig into the tank and see what needed to be fixed/upgraded.

The RSM 250 Issues:
  • The hood. None of the T5 lights or fans in the hood are working. I'm not sure if maybe the bulbs are bad or if the ballasts are shot. I was thinking of replacing the lights with something like the Viparspectra 300w LED light and fitting it into the hood. If needed, I would also want to replace the fans to help keep things cooler. This would end up costing around $200 for the lights and maybe $30 for replacement fans.
  • The skimmer. The protein skimmer pump does not work. I figured i could replace this with the Aquamaxx Ws-1 for almost the same price as buying a new pump for the RSM 250 skimmer. I have heard of some complaints about the stock RSM 250 skimmer so I figured it also would not hurt to upgrade for an extra $30. This would cost around $140
  • One of the return pumps. It is missing one of the return pumps which I noticed when I bought the tank. I was thinking of buying a Sicce Syncra 2.0 to replace the missing pump. This would add an additional $80 to the cost.
  • The heater. The heater does not work, but i have heaters from my freshwater tanks I can use.
  • AIO vs sump. When I got the tank, I thought that the AIO system would be good for a beginner saltwater tank. After cleaning the tank, i was thinking about how difficult this could be to maintain on a regular basis. I like my freshwater sumps that I have and how much easier they seem to clean than the AIO system. I like how you have room to move around and how you can customize them to fit whatever you like. I also like how i can just swap out filter socks in a sump rather than try to remove and clean the foam filters out.
This tank does seem like a really good first tank other than the expense of the repairs, but after cleaning the tank and working with it a little, i am wondering if i should sell the RSM 250 and try to make my money back. If I take this route, I would most likely use one of my extra 29g and set up a mini reef to get some experience in saltwater before buying/making a bigger tank. I also already have another 10g,20g,or 29g I could use as a sump. I am also open to the idea of buying a cheap, used 40b to use as a display tank.

How hard is it to maintain an AIO aquarium? it seems like it would get tiring trying to reach up and over the tank to do maintenance.

I guess my main question is what would you do?
  • Fix the RSM 250 and most likely end up upgrading to a larger display with a sump in a couple years.
  • Sell the RSM 250 and set up a 29g reef using the tanks i already have. (i would still have to buy a skimmer, lights, and a return pump)
  • Sell the RSM 250 and buy a 40b as a display tank. (i would still have to buy a skimmer, lights, and a return pump)

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like going big or going home. The philosophy I’ve heard is to put your investment in a larger tank first, for many reasons.. stability being easier from smaller size tanks. With that said I would a)recommend the 5 minute guide to saltwater a series by Bulk Reef Supply on YouTube. They go through this very question
b) bump this to see what other more experienced people say

and btw.. welcome back!!!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like “all in” your cost is about $650 to get the 250 running. Still seems like a fairly inexpensive way to start with a nice sized tank. If I had to guess once it’s up and running you could probably sell it for more than $650.

Back