Fixed errant Apex temperature probe

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My apex temperature probe wasnt reading properly or even connecting with the Apex brain.

I was getting 20.5F, which means its not connected to the Apex brain.

So I pulled it off the apex brain and checked the connection. The conductors were fully oxidized.

I took a needle and scraped the gunk off and put it back on. It started reading at 73F even though my tank is currently at 82 for my cycle.

Solution:

I chopped off the existing connector and replaced it with a new RJ9 connector.
Even though the RJ9 connnector is 4 pins, the temperature probe only uses 2 pins.
Just take a look at wiring of the old connector and re crimp it the same way.

I plugged it back in and boom it read at 82F with zero calibration. I took a reading with my Orion conductivity/temp probe and it also showed 82.

I hope this helps. I've read several posts where people have said that their temp probes were all wonky despite calibrating the probe many times.

Check the connections!

On the graph, you can see where I unplugged it to recrimp the new connector.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 12.52.24 AM.png

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex temperature probe wasnt reading properly or even connecting with the Apex brain.

I was getting 20.5F, which means its not connected to the Apex brain.

So I pulled it off the apex brain and checked the connection. The conductors were fully oxidized.

I took a needle and scraped the gunk off and put it back on. It started reading at 73F even though my tank is currently at 82 for my cycle.

Solution:

I chopped off the existing connector and replaced it with a new RJ9 connector.
Even though the RJ9 connnector is 4 pins, the temperature probe only uses 2 pins.
Just take a look at wiring of the old connector and re crimp it the same way.

I plugged it back in and boom it read at 82F with zero calibration. I took a reading with my Orion conductivity/temp probe and it also showed 82.

I hope this helps. I've read several posts where people have said that their temp probes were all wonky despite calibrating the probe many times.

Check the connections!

On the graph, you can see where I unplugged it to recrimp the new connector.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 12.52.24 AM.png

This has happened to me. What’s worse is as the corrosion starts, the temperature probe can drift as it’s a resistance based 10k NTC thermistor. Major downsides to using unsealed generic connectors.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back