Fixing a FLOATING reef.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea......

I got the tank back today & will lay it on its back & place the rock in its spot & take a few pics for a clearer idea....
if there is an accrylic shop nearby go to them and ask if they have odd ends as left overs - thsi sort of project needs very little acrylic. They would probably be willing to give discount for those or give away free if you ask nicely.

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there is an accrylic shop nearby go to them and ask if they have odd ends as left overs - thsi sort of project needs very little acrylic. They would probably be willing to give discount for those or give away free if you ask nicely.

Thing is ill have to do it in glass, ACRYLIC wont bond to the glass overflow properly

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is ill have to do it in glass, ACRYLIC wont bond to the glass overflow properly
that is the beauty of my design - you do not bond to glass anyting. the stand is its the L part or the U part in the design - it is free standing
Acrylic stand would stand flush with glass but not bonded.
since your rock hugs overflow it would not move unless moved from back to front there should not be a way that sort of force be applied by the currents only when you do it deliberately by hand. plus sand covering the base would make it hard to move. But it would still be movable.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howzit guys.....

I got this reefer 170 from a mate with a nice piece of rock.

I am gonna fix the rock like he had it before but he said SILICONE did not hold it up nicely.

SHOOT A FEW IDEAS on how i can fix it....

1.) Glass ribs silicone either side of the overflow & recess a small slot in the rock & rest it on the glass ribs (AS PER THE ROUGH SKETCH)

1580195063521.png

Here is a pic of it how it looked, i will be fixing the same way, but need a solid plan ti fix it

1580195177054.png

Your input & suggestions will GREATLY be appriciated.

Thanks
Martin

I think your idea of two glass ribs siliconed to each side of the box would be best. You can use a grinder to cut slats into the rock to simply place it over the ribs. This would give you the cleanest look and minimal effort. Of course hermit crabs will be a no go in this system, but you won't have hidden detritus under the rock.

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your idea of two glass ribs siliconed to each side of the box would be best. You can use a grinder to cut slats into the rock to simply place it over the ribs. This would give you the cleanest look and minimal effort. Of course hermit crabs will be a no go in this system.

I HATE hermits, they ALWAYS knock my frag over, even if they were glued down..

But out of curiosity, WHY A NO GO? Cuz if they fallto the grown they stay there?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE hermits, they ALWAYS knock my frag over, even if they were glued down..

But out of curiosity, WHY A NO GO? Cuz if they fallto the grown they stay there?
Right, they won't be able to climb up glass and would likely waste away on a sandbed or bare bottom with no access to rock and algae. I've never had a hermit knock a frag down that was properly glued. But these days I like to pre drill holes in my rock for frag pegs.

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m in a moving truck atm forgive the image

I would do 2 side panels of acrylic with silicone the surface area should hold it pretty good they will have a arm that comes out cut a slit in the rock to mount the rock on this arm u can even run zip ties through rock and acrylic arm to hold it. The acrylic will touch bottom and back of the tank keeping it from rolling forward the rock keeps it from peeling off the sides of the over flow and of course u have a large surface area off silicone to hold it as well

4E3D79D2-7A5D-44C4-92BE-B1FFBB089FFC.png

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m in a moving truck atm forgive the image

I would do 2 side panels of acrylic with silicone the surface area should hold it pretty good they will have a arm that comes out cut a slit in the rock to mount the rock on this arm u can even run zip ties through rock and acrylic arm to hold it. The acrylic will touch bottom and back of the tank keeping it from rolling forward the rock keeps it from peeling off the sides of the over flow and of course u have a large surface area off silicone to hold it as well

4E3D79D2-7A5D-44C4-92BE-B1FFBB089FFC.png

That is actually a pretty good idea, especially with the bigger pieces for tilting & twisting..... ONLY THING IS ACRYLIC & GLASS dnt mix nice.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, acrylic is not going to be a good choice. The silicone will eventually peel off the acrylic and the top heavy rock would fall forward. I can't imagine the overflow box being more than a few inches, while the rock probably protrudes several inches. The drawing is likely way out of proportion. Glass and silicone aren't going to budge. It's a permanent installation. You nailed it with your first idea.

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to capture a 3d image of the rock. But it actually doesnt wrap around the overflow a much as I thought.
But it does have a few holes & crevices at the back that i can utilize.....

2F0246F5-00FB-42C3-BD84-9A5A12ECC1A5.jpeg
387131BF-2D92-4B46-ACC8-6A45CF9289F5.jpeg
93986BA1-2A4F-4392-92FE-2199916FC230.jpeg
2FA5465D-F710-43F1-8515-3C5CDC70F008.jpeg
80337DDD-0DDE-496B-944E-EEB0A348D5CE.jpeg
4EE4D5CE-0EF4-4FE1-AEBE-DCDA07C9F68A.jpeg
0CB9F321-63BC-4FA9-988A-C1B881232AC5.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back