Fixing glass panel in tank

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef ready tank that I am upgrading to a 125 gallon. I have been looking at video and etc. I am going to replace a glass panel in the 75 gallon tank. Where can I go for the glass? Lowes home Depot?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to a glass or window store if I was doing it. You would want the glass to be tempered for safety (unless you plan to drill it) and I believe Lowe's and HD only sell non-tempered glass. Good luck, and document your progress here for others who are thinking of doing the same!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical big box stores won't carry the glass needed. All they have is window grade which is way too thin.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) it’s not just “replacing a panel” it’s “rebuild the entire tank.” New silicone does not seal to old properly and replacing just on pane will likely cause leaks down the road.
2) Why are you replacing the panel?
3) if the 75 is cracked, it’s probably going to be cheaper buying another one used than replacing the one panel. Heck I have two 75G in a storage unit that I can’t seem to sell. Someone out there is probably getting rid of one right now.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) it’s not just “replacing a panel” it’s “rebuild the entire tank.” New silicone does not seal to old properly and replacing just on pane will likely cause leaks down the road.
2) Why are you replacing the panel?
3) if the 75 is cracked, it’s probably going to be cheaper buying another one used than replacing the one panel. Heck I have two 75G in a storage unit that I can’t seem to sell. Someone out there is probably getting rid of one right now.
While true resealing a tank is relatively straight forward. It's not like the Chinese making red sea, waterbox, etc all have PhD's.

Back