Fixing my PH swings?

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

I have an awful time keeping my PH levels where I want them for SPS health. My LPS, clams and zoa's are doing great but super unhealthy SPS. I submitted a link here in regards to that: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...ive-slimming-tips-burnig.316539/#post-3904927

But I am here looking for some help on stabilizing my PH through the day and night. I also rent and do not have access to a nearby window and I cannot drive a hole it get outside air. I do have a window across the room and as it is summer, i can keep it open but not in the spring or winter.

I dose Alk and Calc from bulk through out the night to try and keep the PH up. I dose about 2ml, 2ml, 1ml Alk per day.

Alk is 8-9
Calc 430-450

Thoughts?
upload_2017-7-24_12-53-59.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH swings themselves are not generally an issue. but that low pH hitting pH 7.5 likely is, if accurate.

More aeration alone should reduce the swing and may limit the extremes at both ends.

Switching to limewater for calcium and alkalinity can help, as might growing macroalgae in a refugium.

This has more:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

OP
OP
ashr

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing cheato but it's slow to grow :(

Would switching to a Calc reactor help? I am looking at switching away from dosing 2 parts

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing cheato but it's slow to grow :(

Would switching to a Calc reactor help? I am looking at switching away from dosing 2 parts

Calc reactor means what to you? Using limewater /kalkwasser will help, while a CaCO3/CO2 reactor will hurt.

OP
OP
ashr

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing for years and wanted to switch to a Calc reactor to see if I can keep my Calc and Alk levels stable more so then what I have had with dosing. It also just seems easier to me then mixing up everything.

I have heard that some people will add Kalk to their top up water or even dose it. I will have to read up on that though as I am willing to give it a try if it helps!

thank you! :)

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? I was having trouble with low pH due to indoor air CO2, and adding a CO2 scrubber in front of my skimmer air intake really helped a lot.

OP
OP
ashr

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? I was having trouble with low pH due to indoor air CO2, and adding a CO2 scrubber in front of my skimmer air intake really helped a lot.

I would love to run my line outside for my skimmer but unable to do it :( I am gonna try kulk and go from there.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set this up (as instructed in the latest Coral magazine using Soda Lime) using an old BRS reactor. My PH now sits at a steady 8.1 all night/day long. Unbelievable now big of a difference this made for my basement tank.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set this up (as instructed in the latest Coral magazine using Soda Lime) using an old BRS reactor. My PH now sits at a steady 8.1 all night/day long. Unbelievable now big of a difference this made for my basement tank.
I would like to set this up because I have read so many great things, as you mentioned. I am just afraid it is going to add a lot of cost to keep purchasing the media. What is the monthly added cost for you? Any pics of the setup?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to set this up because I have read so many great things, as you mentioned. I am just afraid it is going to add a lot of cost to keep purchasing the media. What is the monthly added cost for you? Any pics of the setup?
To be honest I have been running it less than a week so I don't have any costs as of yet....that was one of my concerns also. I know some people just run them at night but I plan on running it 24/7. I will post some pics later tonight when I get home.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go......tube on the right goes to my skimmer. Tube on the left just sucks air from outside the cabinet. There is a teaspoon of water sitting at the bottom (not touching the media) per BRS.

IMG_1790.JPG

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are possibly under lighting your fuge. My highest Ph (by far) is after the fuge lights have been on. My peak PH is at the end of the night, it then slowly falls during the day and dips as the display lights begin to dim. At that point the fuge lights kick back on and the PH climbs again.

Try using a cheap LED grow light bulb on the fuge. 36 watts should get you .5-.8 of a PH bump.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%
Back