CO2 Scrubbing: An Unexpected Journey Chasing Numbers

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*DISCLAMER* I am super bored in my hotel room so this could get long. I'll make sure to add a TL;DR at the end just in case it gets to be too much.

My tank has been up and running for well over a year now, set up in Feb 2016. After the initial setup I tested diligently, pH being by far what I tested for the most (I had a nifty new little Hanna checker and I liked using it). I knew it wasn't optimal, but I would usually get results around 7.8. This was testing in the evening and every once in a while before I went to bed after the lights had been out for a bit. I would have preferred higher numbers, though I was satisfied with "acceptable". Fast forward several months and I had finally decided to pull the trigger on a controller, the APEX. Now I had the ability to check on my tank anytime I wanted from anywhere I wanted (maybe a blessing and a curse). After getting everything calibrated and set I decided, "What the heck I'll enable these cool text and email alerts". Well... let's just say after about the 10th text in the middle of the night I put my phone on silent and went to bed. This is about what my first week looked like.
Screenshot_20170505-112057.png

Needless to say, I felt like I needed to do something. I was already dosing kalkwasser and leaving a window open all day or running an airline outside were not options for me. Next choice despite my better judgement (don't hate me)... pH buffer. One of the main problems with this was that I travel for work and my wife and I have agreed that her involvement with the tank while I'm gone is limited to feeding, barring the occasional emergency. Long story short this one didn't work out. Here's kind of what a week looked like when I would leave halfway through (ha ha, you can see that I got sick enough of the alerts that I lowered the alert level to 7.75). Also, at this time I was really only trying to keep it above 7.8 not really sure why.
Screenshot_20170516-154450.png

At this point I was pretty frustrated. I wasn't getting anywhere near the coral growth that I knew I could. It didn't help that the BRS team had gotten SPS in their 160 around the same time I did in my tank, so I got to sit back and watch their frags grow into nice little colonies while mine sat close to stagnant. I had to find a better more reliable fix for my problem. I remembered reading a little about people using CO2 scrubbers, but for some reason I hadn't actually considered using one before. I don't know if I thought they wouldn't work or what, but once I decided to it seemed so right. I ordered the BRS universal CO2 Scrubber and a 750 ml canister of the Two Little Fishies CO2 media (advertised to last 6-8 week on a 50-100 gallon tank [I try to set everything in my tank up to last at least two weeks due to my traveling so I thought this was perfect]).

Week One Scrubbing
Screenshot_20170505-112153.png

Off to a solid start! You can pretty much track down the hour I hooked that puppy up. I was super excited at first. About two days in I took a look at the canister... almost 1/3 solid purple. "Ok, maybe it burns quick at first then slows WAY down" is what I told myself. Day seven it was at one half, day 10 now it was at 3/4! "Oh it must just be like the outer layer and it works its way in..." unfortunately I was wrong on all counts.

Week Two Scrubbing
Screenshot_20170505-112221.png

As you can see the high was gone as quickly as it came. I thought that it might be the media so I ordered the BRS brand this time. While I was waiting for the order to arrive I did a little more research and came to the conclusion that the faster than normal exhaustion rate was probably due to my massively oversized skimmer, Skimz Octa 165i on my little 75 gallon. After I got the new media I adjusted my intake and crossed my fingers.
Screenshot_20170516-165939.png

Screenshot_20170516-170014.png

Despite my efforts this time was worse. My pH was far less stable and it only lasted nine days! Time for another refill! One thing I had noticed this time was how quickly the canister would dry out (something I didn't think to check before). This round I tried to "refill" the canister with RO/DI water every two days.

Finally making progress!
Screenshot_20170516-170619.png

Screenshot_20170516-170658.png

Alright cool, I FINALLY have results that I'm happy with... except one thing. The whole refill-every-two-days thing didn't fit into my two week maintenance free minimum. Here's what I came up with. Lol I know it's crude, but it works. An old bottle of AcroPower, a skimmer silencer, and some tubing. Now the air intake has to run through the bottle that I can fill with water. As that water evaporates it runs through the scrubber intake keeping the media from drying out.
20170508_024645.jpg

Here's the last couple weeks running this current setup.
Screenshot_20170516-171923.png

Screenshot_20170516-171903.png

Now for the skeptics. You may say that my system finally just stabilized or with the nicer weather the doors and windows are open more now (which I do admit they are). But here's what happens when an idiot cleans the skimmer and forgets to reattach the scrubber line. The downward spike is when I calibrated my probe (done at the same time as cleaning the skimmer). That marker was the first time my pH hit 7.8 in several weeks and as you can see it climbed right back up after I reconnected it.
Screenshot_20170516-172653.png

As a side note, the hump above 16 May peaks at 8.3 (a first for my tank!!). I had changed the media out from BRS to the one pictured below on the 13th and when I left on the 15th it only had maybe a 1/4" inch layer of exhausted media!
20170514_075944.jpg

As of right now my corals are finally starting to grow, I am finally beginning to get coralline algae growth (something I’ve wanted from day one), and I actually had to increase my lime water concentration to keep up with the alkalinity and calcium demands that I can only guess are a result of coral growth due to a proper and stable pH!

TL;DR (I really wouldn't blame you)

I struggled with low pH for several months and finally decided to give CO2 scrubbing a try. Well after some trial and error, it ended up working wonderfully. If you’re going to implement this I would suggest you heed the advice of keeping the media in a humid environment and remember that the more air your skimmer is pulling in the faster the media is going to exhaust. I know this sounds all very common sense, but if I would’ve paid a little more attention I could’ve saved time and money.

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up!

What's your normal alkalinity? I've been keeping mine around 9 or 10 which keeps the pH between 8.1 and 8.3. I have noticed greater growth at the top end of the range, which also includes higher alk. Also corraline algae has just started taking off as well.

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new tank with a CO2 scrubber. The sorb at bulk reef supply is too high I think. Since I'm a rebreather diver, I am thinking about using sorb from dive gear express. Plus, I can use it while diving. Hopefully it will work.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scrub all or most of the co2 out of a system, will that limit the uptake of the gas by photosynthetic organisms?
Will it limit photosynthesis and inhibit growth?
Plants and corals both.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up!

What's your normal alkalinity? I've been keeping mine around 9 or 10 which keeps the pH between 8.1 and 8.3. I have noticed greater growth at the top end of the range, which also includes higher alk. Also corraline algae has just started taking off as well.
Thank you for taking the time to read it!
I had a hard time keeping it above 9 and I didn't want to start dosing two part because I really don't have space to run a doser. Once I got my pH figured out, alk took a big hit and I did in fact end up using two part lol so the chasing of numbers continues...

Screenshot_20170518-105835.png

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scrub all or most of the co2 out of a system, will that limit the uptake of the gas by photosynthetic organisms?
Will it limit photosynthesis and inhibit growth?
Plants and corals both.
Honestly... I hadn't thought about that! I am pulling some ambient air through a Tee connection on the scrubber/skimmer airline, looks like I forgot to mention that. But still I wonder if it's going to be a problem. Thanks a lot, one more thing to keep me up at night ha ha!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought on a salt water environment plants/algae and coral only got their carbon source from alkalinity not CO2? My understanding is that there was not a pathway to use CO2 like they do in freshwater?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly... I hadn't thought about that! I am pulling some ambient air through a Tee connection on the scrubber/skimmer airline, looks like I forgot to mention that. But still I wonder if it's going to be a problem. Thanks a lot, one more thing to keep me up at night ha ha!
If your ph was as low as it was the scrubber is absorbing excess co2, not scrubbing all of it out, plus you have gas exchange in your sump and at the tank's surface which are unscrubbed.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought on a salt water environment plants/algae and coral only got their carbon source from alkalinity not CO2? My understanding is that there was not a pathway to use CO2 like they do in freshwater?
Looks like I have some reading to do :)

If your ph was as low as it was the scrubber is absorbing excess co2, not scrubbing all of it out, plus you have gas exchange in your sump and at the tank's surface which are unscrubbed.
I do have pretty good surface agitation too, lol some times too much. It's still a pretty new situation for me so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for reassurance!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let Randy chime in, but that's basically the point of the carbonate and bicarbonate in the tanks, to provide a carbon source. But I'm not sure if some CO2 is usable directly.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let Randy chime in, but that's basically the point of the carbonate and bicarbonate in the tanks, to provide a carbon source. But I'm not sure if some CO2 is usable directly.
any input on this @Randy Holmes-Farley? Whether or not a large reduction in CO2 will negatively impact photosynthesis of corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any input on this @Randy Holmes-Farley? Whether or not a large reduction in CO2 will negatively impact photosynthesis of corals.

A reduction in CO2 is reflected in a rise in pH, and generally calcifying corals seem to grow faster at higher pH, at least in the few studies that have I have seen. They likely take up bicarbonate (not carbonate or CO2), as do some algae as well, since there is just so much more of it available than CO2. I don't see pH up to 8.6 as a concern.

This has more:

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/rhf/index.php

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how you set up the "humidifier" in more detail? I have a massively oversized skimmer as well did you just spilt the intake with a regular air line with house air and the scrubber or would that just cause it to by pass the co2 media?

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up thanks for sharing. I had problems associated with low pH similar to yours, my wife and I agreed to build a fish room in the basement and I moved the tank down there and it immediately solved my problems.

I guess the fact that no one is down there breathing and the basement is not sealed up as tight as the first floor.

Whatever the case was, my pH stays around 8.32-8.48 now that the tank is in the basement.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up thanks for sharing. I had problems associated with low pH similar to yours, my wife and I agreed to build a fish room in the basement and I moved the tank down there and it immediately solved my problems.

I guess the fact that no one is down there breathing and the basement is not sealed up as tight as the first floor.

Whatever the case was, my pH stays around 8.32-8.48 now that the tank is in the basement.
I too will one day have my tank in the basement.
Step one: get a basement...

Lol, thanks for reading!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back