Flame and bicolor angels in 90 inch aquarium.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame is still nowhere to be seen. I’m getting worried and can’t stop staring and checking caves
I
Give them time. Angels can be very shy at first. I have seen them take up to a week to feel confident in the tank before they venture out. Last one I added took nearly 10 days to start swimming around. I thought for sure it died in the rockwork and waiting the inevitable nutrient spike. Then out of no where there he was swimming around like he owned the tank.
I finally trapped bicolor and put him in my refugium jail. Day 3 still no sign of flame. So if flame doesn’t come out in next few days Im thinking to get bigger flame, but let my aggressive bicolor stay in refugium for a few weeks longer so flame can adjust after shipping. And hoping for same size. Are all angels crazy aggressive or I didn’t get lucky? I don’t know if you guys can see the video but I got lots of caves small, big and negative space. Also lots of small caves between rocks when I was connecting with fiber sticks. Oh and those bottle fish traps suck for aquarium or maybe they need more time. I rigged my small acclimation box with 3oz sinker and very thin fishing line. Rubber band to hold lid connection Was able to catch him within few hours. All tangs were going in first though.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I finally trapped bicolor and put him in my refugium jail. Day 3 still no sign of flame. So if flame doesn’t come out in next few days Im thinking to get bigger flame, but let my aggressive bicolor stay in refugium for a few weeks longer so flame can adjust after shipping. And hoping for same size. Are all angels crazy aggressive or I didn’t get lucky? I don’t know if you guys can see the video but I got lots of caves small, big and negative space. Also lots of small caves between rocks when I was connecting with fiber sticks. Oh and those bottle fish traps suck for aquarium or maybe they need more time. I rigged my small acclimation box with 3oz sinker and very thin fishing line. Rubber band to hold lid connection Was able to catch him within few hours. All tangs were going in first though.
Give it a week. It’s terrified right now.

Last edited:

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels can be quite aggressive, yes, especially to each other. Given the tank size, I can see why you'd try it. It may not be quite big enough for the ego of the bi-color to get along with others. I have a much smaller tank with a flame angel. He does run that tank.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels can be quite aggressive, yes, especially to each other. Given the tank size, I can see why you'd try it. It may not be quite big enough for the ego of the bi-color to get along with others. I have a much smaller tank with a flame angel. He does run that tank.
If my flame makes it out in the next 3-4 days my best bet is prolly to get s smaller bicolor right? Donate this one to Coney Island aquarium. He should be fine there:)
Plan B if flame is dead should I get bigger flame to match bicolor or even slightly bigger. Also keep my bicolor in refugium jail for few weeks should be fine right? I did that with my crazy eyes baby yellow tang lol now purple keeps him in check if he starts wilding :)
Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To coax him out, if you think you know where he might be hiding, I would try to squirt some of his favorite food where he might be able to see it. Maybe some live brine or black worms. If not available, some frozen mysis or brine.
I don’t know where he is. I have soooo many small openings, caves and crevices. I’ve been feeding like crazy all foods including raised live brine. It’s like a seafood buffet over there :)

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also because Flame is my favorite fish
You can do it. I had a 5-inch Majestic, a 4-inch Emperor, a 3 1/2-inch Flame, a 3-inch Bicolor and a 3-inch Yellow-bellied Regal angel in my tank at the same time for about a year. The secret is you have to be ready to remove fish temporarily if they won’t let up attacking when you introduce a fish. Once they get used to seeing each other, you’re in the clear. But they will always be territorial.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my flame makes it out in the next 3-4 days my best bet is prolly to get s smaller bicolor right? Donate this one to Coney Island aquarium. He should be fine there:)
Plan B if flame is dead should I get bigger flame to match bicolor or even slightly bigger. Also keep my bicolor in refugium jail for few weeks should be fine right? I did that with my crazy eyes baby yellow tang lol now purple keeps him in check if he starts wilding :)
Thanks for the help
You may be ok with the bicolor separated. I had good success putting my clown in jail when he was being a jerk.
Once I let him out (3 days later) no issues at all.

I do fear the flame is dead though. Seems a long time not to catch a glimpse. No chance he’s in the overflow, right? Kind of big for that but if he was chased, you never know.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it. I had a 5-inch Majestic, a 4-inch Emperor, a 3 1/2-inch Flame, a 3-inch Bicolor and a 3-inch Yellow-bellied Regal angel in my tank at the same time for about a year. The secret is you have to be ready to remove fish temporarily if they won’t let up attacking when you introduce a fish. Once they get used to seeing each other, you’re in the clear. But they will always be territorial.
I don’t know where he is. I have soooo many small openings, caves and crevices. I’ve been feeding like crazy all foods including raised live brine. It’s like a seafood buffet over there :)
Keep putting that adult live brine in places where you think he might be. My 3” Regal went 10 days once without eating. I think he was constipated from the pellet food. Keep putting food where he might be able to see it.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It makes sense. Now that I learned how to trap them easily with modified acclimation box it shouldn’t be a problem. So my powder blue won’t stop pacing around mirror. But this way he doesn’t bother anyone else. I take it down few times a day so he can relax and feed. He’s the only one who’s still showing extra aggression. Should I keep doing mirror gym/therapy? It’s not gonna drive him nuts doing it all day?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It makes sense. Now that I learned how to trap them easily with modified acclimation box it shouldn’t be a problem. So my powder blue won’t stop pacing around mirror. But this way he doesn’t bother anyone else. I take it down few times a day so he can relax and feed. He’s the only one who’s still showing extra aggression. Should I keep doing mirror gym/therapy? It’s not gonna drive him nuts doing it all day?
Nah. Once you remove the mirror, he’ll forget all about it. Keep him occupied with his reflection as long as you have to. As long as he keeps eating, it’s all good.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back