Flame Angel activity normal?

Newbie219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently added flow to my tank and since my Flame Angel has been swimming very actively. I know they are an active fish, so I am assuming this is normal. He swims all around the tank and stops to eat off the rocks like normal. What is concerning to me is that he goes to the surface very quickly and puts his fin or maybe mouth outside of the water. He does it very quickly, and not over and over, just once and awhile. He does not have any other concerning features or symptoms. All the other fish in my tank are acting normal and not going to the surface. All testing is normal. Thank you for your help!

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface does that from time to time. Usually after I feed the tank, so I assume he's eating something off the surface of the water. Never noticed my flame angel or any of my other fish doing that.

OP
OP
N

Newbie219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know, thank you! I did notice he was doing this when my goby was stirring up the sand and goodies were floating to the surface.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two flames and both as active and graze throughout the day

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two flames and both as active and graze throughout the day

My last flame was very active as well, however I'm seeing some weirdness in a new flame in QT. It started swimming non stop across the front glass back and forth..fast. I'm getting dizzy watching him. So much I'm thinking it's some neurological issue that may be related to the copper (copper power @ 1.75 which is suppose to be flame friendly). If he survives this QT, I'm wondering how he's going to be in DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My last flame was very active as well, however I'm seeing some weirdness in a new flame in QT. It started swimming non stop across the front glass back and forth..fast. I'm getting dizzy watching him. So much I'm thinking it's some neurological issue that may be related to the copper (copper power @ 1.75 which is suppose to be flame friendly). If he survives this QT, I'm wondering how he's going to be in DT.
They can cruise a tank but not one on steroids. Im sure a new environment will slow it down

OP
OP
N

Newbie219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope he comes out of QT ok and is happy in your DT!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back