Flame angel bully. what to do?

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just for background, I have a 75g With a tomini who previously was the boss of the tank, a melanarus wrasse, two small clowns, and a small royal gramma. I was at the lfs and was about to just purchase a flame angel, when my girlfriend wanted me to get a coral beauty as well. I knew that putting two dwarf angels in one tank is usually not successful, however, the Girlfriend was persistent and the owner of the LFS said as long as they’re added together there should be no problems. So, I ended up getting both the flame and coral beauty. They drip acclimated and went into my tank last night. I woke up today and from the first second I could tell the flame was swimming around the tank like he was the boss. Him and my tomini have been doing what I imagine to be a Display of dominance.. going parallel to each other and shaking their tails at each other. The flame is also bullying the heck out of the coral beauty who is only swimming in the corners of the tank. She looks fine and was eating today, but the flame is a huge a**hole.
I have a foot long acclimation box. Should I put the coral beauty in the box for a bit? Any advice would be appreciated. I would really like everyone to get along, but if it comes down to it I will have to take out someone.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough one.... If I was in your position though, I would put the flame angel in the box. This will let the coral beauty time to get established and gain territory. But at the end of the day.... I would return one.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it's most likely not going to work. The only time I've seen to two Centropyge work in a tank is mated pairs of the same genus.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. Ok. So you think putting flame in the acclimation box will be the best bet? How long should I keep him there?
If that doesn’t work I’ll return one, sadly

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d return the coral beauty if I were you, flame angel just looks so much better imo

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. Ok. So you think putting flame in the acclimation box will be the best bet? How long should I keep him there?
If that doesn’t work I’ll return one, sadly

Like the others have mentioned, it will be rough to get them both to be ok in that size tank, but if you wanted to try.... i would leave him in the box for 1-2 weeks.

If it doesnt work out..... return 1. I agree with KevinC. Flame angel just looks nicer :)

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like both, so I'm a bit torn on the correct decision. One or the other, sure, although the flame will own the tank. The coral beauty may adapt to the tomini better, and once comfortable in the tank, will color up very nicely.

No way would I suggest that keeping both is a good idea. Maybe in a 120 or larger, but in the 75 they will be at each other until one loses. I'd also be concerned about the stress to the tomini making it more susceptible to ich and other ailments.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back