Flame angel Bullying

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a smaller yellow tang today and the flame is giving some flak. nipping and tail whacking. Flame is a little bit larger than the tang. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Done the blackout method and will probably continue that throughout the day. Really don't wanna lose this guy.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a cute baby YT then! Did you fatten it up during QT? If not, little thing has nothing to fight with. Then you would need a tank devider, egg crate (Home Depot) for like a month. Held in place by a couple of magnets. Still would need to work on the reintroduction with redecorating and acclimatization box.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a cute baby YT then! Did you fatten it up during QT? If not, little thing has nothing to fight with. Then you would need a tank devider, egg crate (Home Depot) for like a month. Held in place by a couple of magnets. Still would need to work on the reintroduction with redecorating and acclimatization box.
In my tank I have noticed that when introducing new fish turning down the flow helps a lot. Also lights if you can do that. Hope the flame does well.

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the mirrortrick works? Place a mirror beside the glass and let the angel take out its aggression on that instead. Worked for my angry scopas at least.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm - I have flame in 2 of my tanks and could not care less about its' neighbors.
leave lights low or off. I presume after 24 hrs it should calm down

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blacked out the lights the second he got into the tank (3pm yesterday) as I do for most of my fish to ease any strife. Turned them on today in the morning. Should I just keep them off for the rest of the day?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I blacked out the lights the second he got into the tank (3pm yesterday) as I do for most of my fish to ease any strife. Turned them on today in the morning. Should I just keep them off for the rest of the day?
Turn them on and see how flame behaves. If still being a jerk, leave off rest of day and even consider placing a mirror at tank so flame diverts its attention to its mirrored image and fights with the imaginary flame angel

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turned them on this morning at around 9am, flame was and is being a bit of a jerk so I will kill the lights for another day.

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only conceivable reason (that I can think of) the fish would be aggressive is that he had the tank to himself for a few months. Probably got to his head and he doesn't like the new resident.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back