Flame Angel Snipping at Cleaner Shrimp Normal??

Colorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moment I added Flame Angel, my cleaner skunk shrimp was either uber excited or in freak out mode as he instantly jumped on side of angel for about 10 seconds until she bucked him off. It was like watching a rodeo!!!

All was calm for 2 days...now, the angel seems to be picking/snipping at the shrimp.

Is this normal behavior? Not picking on the 2 clowns , hermit crabs or snails which is all I have in tank.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moment I added Flame Angel, my cleaner skunk shrimp was either uber excited or in freak out mode as he instantly jumped on side of angel for about 10 seconds until she bucked him off. It was like watching a rodeo!!!

All was calm for 2 days...now, the angel seems to be picking/snipping at the shrimp.

Is this normal behavior? Not picking on the 2 clowns , hermit crabs or snails which is all I have in tank.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
IMO think there are two things going on:
- cleaner skunk shrimp tried to clean flame angel
- flame angel is aggressive

My cleaner skunk shrimp are total divas that rarely clean anyone despite my tangs begging. My shrimp only get excited by food.

My flame angel is part of my 'Death Dealer squad' in my tank. Angel may want to eat that shrimp OR it holds a grudge for attempted cleaning. Either way, fingers crossed shrimp & angel settle down. My cleaner skunk shrimp were med/large size and guess I'm lucky my 2 skunk shrimp get along with my flame angel.

If you catch angel again picking on shrimp, then try distracting it with a mirror held up to side of tank. Angel will think it is another flame angel and go after it, distracting it from shrimp. *IF* your angel is uber aggressive (crazed maniac), mirror may not be a great idea to try again. My sailfin gets like a pro wrestler on steroids and everyone in tank avoids sailfin tang for hours after mirror session until settles and stops flaring and panting, etc.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice by Fish Think Pink and I'd like to highlight one thing they said, " My shrimp only get excited by food." Food is the great equalizer. All these animals could be brute savages if not for regular feeding so If you feed the angel 3 times a day and try to get some food to the shrimp once a day everyone might calm down a bit.

OP
OP
Colorz

Colorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice by Fish Think Pink and I'd like to highlight one thing they said, " My shrimp only get excited by food." Food is the great equalizer. All these animals could be brute savages if not for regular feeding so If you feed the angel 3 times a day and try to get some food to the shrimp once a day everyone might calm down a bit.
Excellent!!! Will def do that indeed :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back