Flame angelfish pairs and harem successful

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! So I have a large decently aged flame angel and I’m wondering what are my chances to creating a harem or pair if I add a small one when I transfer my fish to my new 90 gal? I wanna here y’all’s success stories!

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! So I have a large decently aged flame angel and I’m wondering what are my chances to creating a harem or pair if I add a small one when I transfer my fish to my new 90 gal? I wanna here y’all’s success stories!

Sounds interesting im following for sure.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily introduce one (or more) juvenile or female Flame angels to a male Flame angel and get a pair or a harem. They wont fight unless the tank is tiny. The problem is when you put two males together. I always have harem of flame angels from 3-5 in my large DT at home. 320 (now) or 420 (20 years ago) gal DT.
Here is a video of my Flame angel pair in my 65 gal tank. It was too small for them so I moved them home. They were about to spawn but the tank is too small for them to properly do their pre-spawn routine.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily introduce one (or more) juvenile or female Flame angels to a male Flame angel and get a pair or a harem. They wont fight unless the tank is tiny. The problem is when you put two males together. I always have harem of flame angels from 3-5 in my large DT at home. 320 (now) or 420 (20 years ago) gal DT.
Here is a video of my Flame angel pair in my 65 gal tank. It was too small for them so I moved them home. They were about to spawn but the tank is too small for them to properly do their pre-spawn routine.

Okay, what do you think about a 90 gallon?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the footprint of a 90 gal tank?
Likely it would be OK for a pair or three of them. If yur tank good care of them, they will do fine and will spawn. However, they may be cramped when they spawn. My 36 inches from front to back is barely wide enough for them to do their circular swim when they spawn and not hitting the wall. This may or may not be important for you.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the footprint of a 90 gal tank?
Likely it would be OK for a pair or three of them. If yur tank good care of them, they will do fine and will spawn. However, they may be cramped when they spawn. My 36 inches from front to back is barely wide enough for them to do their circular swim when they spawn and not hitting the wall. This may or may not be important for you.
It’s 48 inches long, and 18in deep

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old thread, but how do you tell the sexes apart?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thread and pictures somewhere on one of the thread. It is the shape of the anal and dorsal fins, especially anal fin. Fully extended female has rounded anal fin while male has pointed fin. This is a sure way
On average male has more black bars and more blue and black dorsal and anal fins. Of course the coloration cannot really be use because some Angels just have more base black coloration than other.

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thread and pictures somewhere on one of the thread. It is the shape of the anal and dorsal fins, especially anal fin. Fully extended female has rounded anal fin while male has pointed fin. This is a sure way
On average male has more black bars and more blue and black dorsal and anal fins. Of course the coloration cannot really be use because some Angels just have more base black coloration than other.
I see. However, accoriding to what you and other people have said, smaller angels will change sexes in the presence of other angels?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male will keep females from changing.
male angels will fight and the looser will change to female but mortality is high. A study said that in a 55 gal with full of rock, mortality was about 50% (can’t remember the exact percentage here since it was so long ago that I read it but it is either 50 or 75 percent)
The sex change can be reverse. (Bidirectional)

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male will keep females from changing.
male angels will fight and the looser will change to female but mortality is high. A study said that in a 55 gal with full of rock, mortality was about 50% (can’t remember the exact percentage here since it was so long ago that I read it but it is either 50 or 75 percent)
The sex change can be reverse. (Bidirectional)
Ah I see! And i just found a few studies that confirm this with Centropyge. have you experienced high mortality with this protoandrous sex change?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back