Flame Hawk Pacing Around Tank

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a flame hawk that seems to pace back and forth around the top of the tank. It's starting to drive me crazy. I can tell when it's stressed because its color fades and gets lines in the black across the top of its back. I put it in a 10 gallon quarantine for a few days and it settled down. Back in the DT, and back to pacing. Been like this for months. Tank mates: yellow tang, two grammas, pink streaked wrasse, possum wrasse, two bangaii's, roland's damsel, and yellow goby. None of the fish really pay attention to the hawk, and none of the other fish act strange. Eats ok and looks healthy when perched. It's bright red from time to time during the day when it's not pacing. Tank is approximately 4 x 2 x 2 feet (29" wide) with lots of rock. Any ideas?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines doing the same, but it's a new add.
it hasn't found it's territory yet and is still letting the other tank mates push it around.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs a ledge or something to perch on so he can survey the landscape (it’s in their nature). I put a nano frag rack on the side of the tank about 6-8” below the waterline, and he’s been super stoked every since (sorry for the crappy photo - but you get the idea). Other than sleeping or feeding, he spends most of his time on that frag rack - occasionally dive-bombing the reef! (something they also do quite frequently)

IMG_0722.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I did three rounds of prazi in the tank. He has really calmed down and stopped the pacing. Lounges around on and in the rocks, and his deep read color is holding. I suspect he had flukes that were agitating him

Back