flame hawkfish randomly died...

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently started my new tank which is a 32 gallon biocube. I did a fishless cycle using dr tims ammonium chloride and one and only. The tank cycled completely normally in a little under 2 weeks. About a week after cycling I got my first fish which was a flame hawk which is a fish I have been wanting for a while. It did great for the first 5 days, was eating good and would even come to the front of the tank when it saw me. Yesterday I noticed it was hiding in my rock scape which I know is normal but became worried when it did not come to the front of the tank at all and remained hiding for the remainder of the day. This morning I noticed it was still hiding but was still alive and looked fine. A few hours later I look and find it lying on the sand dead with grayish coloration instead of the bright red which it was for the previous week. My tank parameters are pretty normal with the only exception being high phosphates at 0.21 but didnt think high phosphates alone could kill a fish. I am assuming it must've had a disease already and the move to a new tank stressed it enough to make it take a turn for the worst. I am just left so confused given how well it was doing for the first 5 days for it to just die seemingly randomly. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, thank you.

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently started my new tank which is a 32 gallon biocube. I did a fishless cycle using dr tims ammonium chloride and one and only. The tank cycled completely normally in a little under 2 weeks. About a week after cycling I got my first fish which was a flame hawk which is a fish I have been wanting for a while. It did great for the first 5 days, was eating good and would even come to the front of the tank when it saw me. Yesterday I noticed it was hiding in my rock scape which I know is normal but became worried when it did not come to the front of the tank at all and remained hiding for the remainder of the day. This morning I noticed it was still hiding but was still alive and looked fine. A few hours later I look and find it lying on the sand dead with grayish coloration instead of the bright red which it was for the previous week. My tank parameters are pretty normal with the only exception being high phosphates at 0.21 but didnt think high phosphates alone could kill a fish. I am assuming it must've had a disease already and the move to a new tank stressed it enough to make it take a turn for the worst. I am just left so confused given how well it was doing for the first 5 days for it to just die seemingly randomly. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, thank you.
One more thing: there were no signs of ich or velvet on the hawk at any point or signs of any other disease.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back