Flameback angel killed my pygmy wrasse

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on their personality honestly. But most reviews I'm reading now say they are extremely aggressive against weaker peaceful fish.
There are multiple reefers who keep multiple dwarf angels in one tank (as do I), and this is generally not a good idea, but they manage to do it with thoughtful aquascaping and by dividing the tank into different habitable zones.

It sounds like you've already decided to rehome the angel -- and that may in fact be the best solution -- but the angel may not have been the problem in the first place. I recommend that you set up a remote camera to watch the tank when you're not in the room. You can often uncover hidden sources of friction that you wouldn't see when you're present.

55 lbs of rock is not excessive for your build. Remember that fish are like people; not everyone enjoys living on the ground floor of an apartment building, and when you do crowd everyone into the level, conflicts will likely arise.

Macroalgae can act as wonderful tank dividers if you don't have planktivores that will eat it all. Fish are pretty visual, and conflicts will often end when the fish can no longer see their rivals.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple reefers who keep multiple dwarf angels in one tank (as do I), and this is generally not a good idea, but they manage to do it with thoughtful aquascaping and by dividing the tank into different habitable zones.

It sounds like you've already decided to rehome the angel -- and that may in fact be the best solution -- but the angel may not have been the problem in the first place. I recommend that you set up a remote camera to watch the tank when you're not in the room. You can often uncover hidden sources of friction that you wouldn't see when you're present.

55 lbs of rock is not excessive for your build. Remember that fish are like people; not everyone enjoys living on the ground floor of an apartment building, and when you do crowd everyone into the level, conflicts will likely arise.

Macroalgae can act as wonderful tank dividers if you don't have planktivores that will eat it all. Fish are pretty visual, and conflicts will often end when the fish can no longer see their rivals.
Macro algae can go in DT?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae can go in DT?
Absolutely, but hungry fish often take out large colonies pretty quickly. My lovely forest of halymenia was taken out by a chiseltooth wrasse, and angels -- let alone tangs -- can quickly eat everything else. That being said, some forms of macro, such as halimeda, are less palatable to most fish. My surviving macro grows right near the return pumps, which maintains a flow too high for the fish to stick around for casual munching.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback angels are some of the most aggressive dwarf angels there is besides the Flame. I wouldn't keep one again.

I agree. They are in no way similar to cherubs. I've had a cherub angel with a pink streak in my 20 AIO for almost 2 years without issues. That flameback will continue to be a menace. The variant off the east coast of South America (as opposed to Africa) is suposedly less aggressive but I haven't seen those for years.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the shop gladly took the flameback because I guess they are going to breed mine with one they have to sell at a higher price point. They had a tank with 3 leopard wrasses they were all dead probably trying to make back losses lol. I got the tomini, 1 blue reef chromis, 2 green chromis, and 1 orange fire goby. Everyone is doing great so far.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback, Fireball, Cherub are smallest of the angels and are extremely aggressive, and acts much bigger than their size (as all the angels in that clade). They are not suitable in smaller tanks with passive fish.
Larger tanks and lots of live rock and plenty of food will decrease their aggressiveness considerably

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back