Flameback Angelfish

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working on a stocking list for my reefer XL 300 that is on its way, and I think I want to have a Flameback Angel as my centerpiece fish. I know Centropyge are risky in reefs, but dangit, I love them and I'm feeling lucky. My question is, what type of corals do you guys think he is most likely to pick at? I am planning on Acropora dominant but wouldn't mind having some LPS on the sand bed. Although it is not a deal-breaker if I can't. If he picks at Acropora, however...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a flame angel in my XL300 and didn't work out. Then tried a coral beauty and he is a model citizen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Being a member of the Pomacanthidae group, they have same precautions as Coral beauty and flame- They are hit and miss. I happen to have a coral beauty and flame in same tank and they touch Nothing but know of others who have either and are considered destruction crew.
Typical corals from these guy as caution will be Meaty corals, zoa, some with polyps and those which food land upon

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one from the Indian Ocean, hasn’t touched a Coral. I do have a lot of Sponge, growing on the underside of my rock, I’ve seen it eating. Also a Pig when the Auto Feeder, comes on.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working on a stocking list for my reefer XL 300 that is on its way, and I think I want to have a Flameback Angel as my centerpiece fish. I know Centropyge are risky in reefs, but dangit, I love them and I'm feeling lucky. My question is, what type of corals do you guys think he is most likely to pick at? I am planning on Acropora dominant but wouldn't mind having some LPS on the sand bed. Although it is not a deal-breaker if I can't. If he picks at Acropora, however...
@Landon K if you are getting an African Flameback, I would definitely get a captive-bred one. Either ORA or Biota breeds them and they are wonderful, sustainable, and less likely to nip corals.

OP
OP
L

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Landon K if you are getting an African Flameback, I would definitely get a captive-bred one. Either ORA or Biota breeds them and they are wonderful, sustainable, and less likely to nip corals.
Thanks, I will look into that. Are they regularly available?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back