Flasher Wrasse hiding for days after introducing new fish

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this flasher wrasse in my 110 gallon for about a year now. Previous stock was:
  • 2 clowns
  • 1 yellow tang
  • 1 magnificent foxface
  • 1 flasher wrasse
Wrasse has always been very friendly, rarely shy. I recently introduced 1 coral beauty and 1 vrolik’s wrasse at the same time, and within seconds the flasher wrasse went into hiding. Absolutely zero aggression, the new fish were on the complete opposite side of the tank. I’m guessing that he just sensed the other wrasse and freaked out. I expected something like this, but assumed that they would work things out.

Well, it’s been about 4 days now, and the flasher wrasse is still in hiding. I see where he is, and I see him occasionally move his tail, but he won’t leave that spot. Even if I put some food by him, he won’t leave. Sure, there’s a chance that he comes out in the middle of the night for a bit, but I probably check the tank 30 times throughout the day and he’s always hiding in the same spot. I wanted to make sure that he was actually still alive so I puffed a bit of water under his rock and he darted out and spent the next 15 seconds freaking out, then right back to hiding (won’t be doing that again...).

At what point do I become concerned? I have another tank that I could potentially place him in for a bit (assuming I can catch him), but would only want to go down that route if it’s been so long that he’s likely going to starve himself to death, and I’ve got a while before that time comes...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one else is actually bother him at all, your best bet is just to leave him be. You might just be stressing him out more by paying some special attention.
Flasher can be spooky - it might be nearly a week before he's relatively comfortable again.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.8%
Back