Flasher Wrasses or Anthias?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 55 gallon, with plans to upgrade to a 210 in a couple of months. My tank was devastated by velvet, so I am putting together a new stock list and have decided I want some very colorful fish that love to swim to offset the fish that are content to perch, hide, or drift around the tank. So far I have narrowed it down to a variety of flasher wrasses, or a school of lyretail anthias. Am wondering who has experience keeping multiple wrasses, or groups of anthias, and how well or not it has worked for you.

Current Fish
Greyfaced Moray Eel
Marine Betta
Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
Maroon Clownfish

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a large group of dispar anthias. Had 13 and now have 3. Last one was bullied by the male of the pack. Love having them in the tank but the success has not been there .

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that one of those fish safe eels?
A 'fish safe' eel is a relative term, as they are predators. That being said, Snowflakes only grow to a maximum of 2' and can be kept with large, aggressive/semi-aggressive fish. Shrimp and crabs will get eaten, as will fish small enough to be swallowed.
My greyfaced will grown upwards of 4', but the species is reportedly quite friendly to other eels, but similarly cannot be housed with shrimp, crabs and small fish.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a large group of dispar anthias. Had 13 and now have 3. Last one was bullied by the male of the pack. Love having them in the tank but the success has not been there .
From what I have read about them it should be at least 4 females to spread out the males aggression. What happened to the other 10? Did they kill eachother?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 'fish safe' eel is a relative term, as they are predators. That being said, Snowflakes only grow to a maximum of 2' and can be kept with large, aggressive/semi-aggressive fish. Shrimp and crabs will get eaten, as will fish small enough to be swallowed.
My greyfaced will grown upwards of 4', but the species is reportedly quite friendly to other eels, but similarly cannot be housed with shrimp, crabs and small fish.

I have never kept eels but I did a lot of scuba diving. When I did night dives one of the fish most seen were eels hunting, my concern would be for the wrasse and anthias at night. In a closed environment like a tank secure sleeping places would be at a premium and having watched them in the wild, eels can get into the smallest places.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point. So far my eel has not eaten any live fish (maybe some mollies I was feeding my lion, but those were vanishing at night so can't say 100%), and I feed it very well. Now that I really am thinking about it, I'm picturing my eel at its full size, it would be able to swallow some pretty hefty fish if it so chose.
I can kind of understand why many don't want to keep eels, but they're just so cool. Worth it, even if it limits my stocking options.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read about them it should be at least 4 females to spread out the males aggression. What happened to the other 10? Did they kill eachother?
My experience is quite different. I got 6 Lytails. Feed multiple times but the male just won't eat. He spend ALL his time pestering the females and died after a few months. The next largest Female turn male quickly and did the same thing. They go one after the other until the last fish by himself.
He lived for a long time.
I don't know why they act that way in my tank, but it is the male that died and it is becasue he spend all his energy trying to breed. Although I did not asked but have never read anywhere that anybody have the same experience as mine.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not answer that question other then to,sat part of it was the real,small ones take a lot of tiny food to get some meat on them. I found calanus and fish eggs to really be a great food for them. I admit it’s quite disappointing to lose them. When I had the entire group it was such an active and colorful tank. The remaining 3 are nice and healthy but my guess is they will not last real long.
By the way, I only had one male to begin with and he was big but he developed lympho and my fire shrimp ripped the nodules off him and he developed infection and died. Then two more became males. Out of my hands! :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back